News   Mar 28, 2024
 41     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

two points:
1) I've never had a good meal on Baldwin. Its aeshetically cute, but the restaurants are really not very good, IMO
2) The challenge of all of these retail nabes is that as they become increasingly popular, rents are jacked up to the point where chain stores are the only places that can survive
- rents are so high in the forest hill village, for example, hero burger and subway have moved in.
Fujiyama, the Indian place, and the French place (La Gaffe) are great and I've had consistently great food at each. The Mexican place is really weak, though. It's always busy with students who probably dine on KD + ketchup regularly.

Last edited:
Walked up McCaul yesterday and saw the sign for the wing place. I lived on Baldwin for about 7 years and seeing a shitty chain like this go in is pretty unfortunate.

Fujiyama, the Indian place, and the French place (La Gaffe) are great and I've had consistently great food at each. The Mexican place is really weak, though. It's always busy with students who probably dine on KD + ketchup regularly.

Agreed on all. I quite like the Jodhpur Club (the Indian place), though I wonder how well it's doing. I used to love John's when I was an undergrad, but I've blacklisted it due to a couple of horrible service experiences. Vegetarian Haven is also quite good.

I tried No Bull Burger on Parliament north of Queen tonight (well right now actually.) It's a standard, fresh beef burger cooked a little pink on a griddle. It's not bad, but nothing that you can't get at the many other new burger joints around. They appear to be affiliated with the Greek restaurant next door as their kitchens are connected via an open walkway.

Walked up McCaul yesterday and saw the sign for the wing place. I lived on Baldwin for about 7 years and seeing a shitty chain like this go in is pretty unfortunate.

Agreed on all. I quite like the Jodhpur Club (the Indian place), though I wonder how well it's doing. I used to love John's when I was an undergrad, but I've blacklisted it due to a couple of horrible service experiences. Vegetarian Haven is also quite good.

Jodhpur Club is indeed quite good - I had my birthday dinner there in 2008 and was completely satisfied.

Doners and donairs are NOT the same thing. One is Turkish, the other is authentically Canadian.

What would the difference be? From what i read, the Greek guy that started this in Halifax basically took a gyro and replaced the tzatziki with a secret sweet sauce to please Canadian taste buds.

What would the difference be? From what i read, the Greek guy that started this in Halifax basically took a gyro and replaced the tzatziki with a secret sweet sauce to please Canadian taste buds.

The difference between a Halifax Donair and a "Doner" commonly sold in Toronto starts with the bread. Most if not all of the mid-east Doner's being sold in Downtown Toronto come inside paper thin split pita bread instead of the thick Greek-style pita bread of the type served at the authentic Gyro's shops on Danforth. A Halifax Donair is very similar to a Gyro except the sauce is sweet instead of garlicky and like a Gyro is is severed with Tomatoes and onions only. Finally a big difference is the quantity of meat served inside a Halifax Donair. For a very reasonable price you get a huge portion of meat which is why so many people find them satisfying. I hope that this new Toronto Donair shop with duplicate the Halifax Donairs in terms of size.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the deal is with the joint that was formerly the Foccacia takeout spot on Hayden? It's open and closed three or four times since Foccacia decided to abandon the take-out spot.

Looks like Foccacia is doing take-out again...

foccaciaisback.jpg

Like I said previously, I wonder what happened?

Exciting news for fans of Nova Scotian DONAIR's! It looks like we might finally have an authentic DONAIR shop in Toronto.

It is called "The FUzZ Box" and it is at Danforth and Greenwood.

http://www.thefuzzbox.ca/

I haven't tried it yet but the Fuzz Box is getting good reviews on Chowhound.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/845756

UPDATE:

So I tried this place for the first time today. The Donair's were tasty but I would not call them authentic.

Authentic Donair meat is cooked on a rotating spit with slivers of meat sliced off it. The meat in this Donair looked like it came from a loaf cooked inside an oven. Instead of strips of meat crispy on the edges this was like crumbly hamburger. It had a nice taste but the texture was completely wrong. Everything else however was authentic, i.e. thick greek pita bread (moistened and heated) and authentic tasting sweet sauce ("Jizz").

What was disappointing was the quantity. I ordered the medium ($5.99) and it was not very filling. The Donairs that I have had in Halifax for about the same price were so large that I could not finish them in one sitting.

In the final analysis, this is a place that I might try again if I was in the area otherwise it is not something I would go out of my way for.

My brother, who lives in Edmonton tells me all the Doners there are made with Kraft Miracle Whip and for him, it's inedible. He loves Gyros and Doners but he only eats them when he's visiting Toronto.

Back