News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 461     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

The "House on The Hill"; Alfred Hitchcock.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Broadview & Danforth ramp...so that would be where the current Loblaws is located (or the residential building to the South)? That is just creepy. I mean, the house up top right. The hospital would be in the lower back 40 of what used to be Broadview Collegiate, which is now the City Adult Learning Centre. If you can ever get in that place, it's a horrible construction. I used to swim in their pool for years twice a week as a kid and it scared me pretty much every time. Not that Castle Frank was any better.

Hospital looks like a train station.

Swiss Cottage Hospital:

f1244_it0534.jpg

Broadview & Danforth ramp...so that would be where the current Loblaws is located (or the residential building to the South)? That is just creepy. I mean, the house up top right. The hospital would be in the lower back 40 of what used to be Broadview Collegiate, which is now the City Adult Learning Centre.

Here's the north end of Winchester Street at Danforth:

wTNWinchesterDratBroadview1919-1.jpg

Last edited:
That middle photo will be a 'Now-and-Then' soon enough.
That original Pizza Pizza Logo is a classic and will soon be extinct. I can't think of any other PizzaPizza location which still has this logo (PP#1 @ Wellesley & Parliament used to before the recent renos there)

King and Bay:

2522695316_2304eeb67b_b-1.jpg

Wow. I've never seen this one before--what a wonderful shot of the death knell for the Bank of Toronto building. I guess I had assumed all the buildings came down at the same time for the TD Centre, or at least for the main tower and banking pavillion. Makes you wonder, for a brief second, could they have retained the old building? It was such a pretty thing, although the Mies pavillion is beautiful in its own right.

They did retain parts of the old building. If you take note of the three arch doorways at the front and the roman style columns they now make up the stage that's on the Guildwood Inn property.

wedding-8417.jpg

Wow. Any idea when the building in the left side of the picture was taken down? That's an excellent picture.

Here are a couple of other pics of that Bank building that was on the SW corner.
Some say the foundation may still be under the Pizza palace.

Attachments

• xTN Broadview Dan 1912-2007.jpg
    xTN Broadview Dan 1912-2007.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 305
  • Danforth 2003-1911 merged.jpg
    Danforth 2003-1911 merged.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 313
I think this was discussed elsewhere a few months ago, probably in the Toronto Then and Now thread. The old building was a bank, I think.

OK. For some reason, it looks familiar. I lived three blocks from there on Thorncliffe Ave, from 1969 to 1977. Actually, if anybody has any pictures of what we called the "Lookout", I'd love to see that. It's the municipal "ending" of Chester Hill Road. It has a concrete & aluminum fence that stops on the hill right above the DVP. That view was my train set as a child. You can spend hours there just watching what's going on.

Some more stories...

Anybody have pictures of the White Elephant? That was the building that was partially built, yet denied hydro and sewer/water, up the Bayview Extension on the West side, just up from Pottery Road. It was painted white, and had no windows. It was about five floors high from what I can remember, and full of pigeons. Quite eerie actually. Guys used to jump the railing and head on over to trap pigeons for some reason.

We used to jump the railing to catch garter snakes and to head through the swamp on the way to our destination, Todmorden Mills. I'd always get at least a foot in the swamp, so we'd light a small fire, "Little Rascals" style, and roast my shoe until we could move on. It was a trek. I was always terrified that my Mother would find out.

And up the valley was the famous Domtar plant fire. I think that was the last industrial plant up the valley there.

Back