Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Good digging! Hmm, interesting. How does the bus justify $24 then? Though I see it's down to $16.62 with a book of 10 ... perhaps that's how they do it. Get the regulars with the cheaper fare, and get the tourists and business travellers at full fare. Interesting to see how GO does it. Hopefully they'll have onboard PrestoCard readers on the trains.

It is also less if one buys in advance online.

I heard it often take more time to take the express bus ($20+) than the subway+192 from downtown.

Yeah, but air conditioning, no bothering with luggage for the most part, wi-fi on the trip. As an everyday subway rider with metropass I will still take a cab and then the airport bus vs subway and ttc bus. Still huge savings compared to full distance cab.

Not everyone is a captive rider.

What is legal anyway? There is basically zero risk of being considered illegal.

1) a police car won't pull you over for no reason
2) if it did, a friend is dropping me off at YYZ as a favour. Is it a crime? (as I always use the same driver, we do know each other)

I think you need to differentiate between being "considered illegal" and "being caught and charged". An act is considered illegal as soon as it contravenes a law. The fact that you think you have a low chance of a cop pulling you over and charging you with an offense or the fact that you have a thought out "story" in the off-chance that does happen does not change the legality of what you are doing. Your driver friend is (and it sounds repeatedly) breaking the laws governing the provision of taxi/limo services....simple as that.
Many of these drivers are out of job and try to make some income. Nothing wrong with that.

Are all laws suspended/nullified for the unemployed trying to make some income?

Good digging! Hmm, interesting. How does the bus justify $24 then? Though I see it's down to $16.62 with a book of 10 ... perhaps that's how they do it. Get the regulars with the cheaper fare, and get the tourists and business travellers at full fare. Interesting to see how GO does it. Hopefully they'll have onboard PrestoCard readers on the trains.

Comfort, drop off right at the hotel door, and free wi-fi. GO and TTC can't compete with that.

Comfort, drop off right at the hotel door, and free wi-fi. GO and TTC can't compete with that.
If the Gardiner is moving, they can't compete with that. If it's a parking lot though, I'd think that the ARL could compete with it.

Oh, the airport express bus will be gone once the ARL is done, or at least scaled back considerably.

I don't think they'll go quietly. I think their ability to drop you off at your hotel gives them a competitive advantage that they will promote heavily.

Oh, the airport express bus will be gone once the ARL is done, or at least scaled back considerably.

I don't think they'll go quietly. I think their ability to drop you off at your hotel gives them a competitive advantage that they will promote heavily.

Canada Line doesn't charge $25 though.

I think business has a pretty remarkable ability to adapt. If, as speculated, the ARL is $25 perhaps the bus drops pricing to be a somewhere in the middle player...say $15 - $20.

Perhaps they decide to play up the direct to door aspect (although lots of cities have rail links to aiprorts that do well and they don't do direct to door). Perhaps they abandon downtown and become the express to mid-town or uptown or whateverpartoftownexceptdowtown express service.

Doubt they will disapear but they will change/adapt.

If I was running the bus company, when the ARL came I would switch to smaller vehicles, run to a smaller number of hotels ... and raise my price!

Back