News   Mar 28, 2024
 254     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 632     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 376     0 

Death of Clubland (aka: Is Adam Vaughan trying to kill the Club District?)

I'd be curious on how many of those residents are actually '905ers' themselves - bet you it's pretty high!

According to my geography the number of residents in this area with a 905 phone number would be about 0.

According to my geography the number of residents in this area with a 905 phone number would be about 0.

as they say, you can take the girl out of the area code, but you can't take the area code ouf out the girl!

As a "budding" psychologist, I'm sure your musings would be funny (not because of any concerns about accuracy).

Fact is, the clubs in the area will mostly die due to development. The end.

I'm fine with that. What I don't like is whatever has turned Mr Vaughan into such a broomstick-up-the-arse grump.

I'd be curious on how many of those residents are actually '905ers' themselves - bet you it's pretty high!

What I think was meant was that many of the condo dwellers were former suburbanites. It seems that out of control condo development is strangling all nightlife, not just the club district.

"This particular part of the downtown is going to be heavily residential. Our fear is we may be going from one extreme to another, from party and night clubs, those are in the decline, and now we may not have an Entertainment District."

More........http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=2973543

Interesting article. I'm kind of torn here. Although I like the fact that the clubs are getting phased out.... I don't know if turning the area into a family neighbourhood is the best idea. Plus a 2 bed+den unit in the entertainment district will be extremely pricey...how many families can afford a $650K condo?

Looks like the clubs are moving West along King Street anyways.

I will say, I was clubbing from 2000 as a 19 year old all the way up to my mid 20's and boy was it fun. A lot of violence though and I compoletely understand why there was an effor to clena things up. Money, Joker, System Soundbar, Beat Junkie, G-Spot....oh the memories

Still....

While I understand neighborhoods evolve and change the fact remains that the clubs have been there longer than the condo residents moving into the area now.

So it's hypocrisy for new residents moving into a very well known entertainment zone to then complain. I understand if the crowds are too rowdy or get out of hand but driving all the clubs out doesn't solve anything.

The city should have done a better job of managing the area and shut the bad clubs down instead of quietly launching some kind of war on all clubs. Basically, a smaller special interest group used their influence on the city to get what they wanted.

I've been down there on many occasions over the years and I haven't seen these out of control crowds of drunken louts destroying propety and terrorizing residents in their homes the way the media and others describe.

While I understand neighborhoods evolve and change the fact remains that the clubs have been there longer than the condo residents moving into the area now.

So it's hypocrisy for new residents moving into a very well known entertainment zone to then complain. I understand if the crowds are too rowdy or get out of hand but driving all the clubs out doesn't solve anything.

The city should have done a better job of managing the area and shut the bad clubs down instead of quietly launching some kind of war on all clubs. Basically, a smaller special interest group used their influence on the city to get what they wanted.

I've been down there on many occasions over the years and I haven't seen these out of control crowds of drunken louts destroying propety and terrorizing residents in their homes the way the media and others describe.

It has nothing to do with who you think was there first. Clubs, club owners and their patrons do not have some special right to the area. If you think they do then you are mistaken. The fact is that the number of clubs has dropped and will continue to do so. The neighbourhood is changing and will continue to change.

As for hypocrisy, it is somewhat hypocritical of you and other night time visitors to the area to pretend that you can dictate what residents have to put up within the neighbourhood they live in. Residents don't have to put with anything in order to satisfy your sensibilities or what you mistakenly believe you are entitled to. And by the way, you are evidently defending a special interest when you promote the rights of clubs and club-goers over the residents of the area.

Why would you blame the city for what is clearly a problem being caused by some club owners and some of their patrons? Can't these adults manage themselves? If anything, the city spends millions for additional policing in the area because some people can't control themselves. The city and the province have regulations and laws regarding how club owners operate their businesses. If these businesses fail to do so they get fined or closed. Too bad for them.

I live in the area and I have seen out of control behaviour on quite a few occasions over the years. It's really not fun when it's two or three in the morning. I've also seen what some of my neighbours have had to put up with from club owners who decide that they have some sort of special rights and play music so loud that it is easily audible in a nearby residences. That, my friend, is actually against the law. But for you, people in the area should just have to put up with it all. I wonder if you would put up with it if it were you going through the same ordeal?

Check out your own post #278. You seem to be pretty selective when it comes to personal conduct.
http://urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?3374-Street-Furniture-Program/page19

And in this here Jane's Walk weekend, we should keep in mind re the cherishability/desirability of "clubs in the neighbourhood" that nothing hereabouts has the current or potential accrued mythology of, say, the El Mocambo. So, sans that, why over-campaign on behalf of "saving the club district"?

Again....

I will say it again.

Before the condo owners moved into this area it was a very well known club zone. This wasn't a secret. So I don't understand people moving into this area and then complaining about the clubs being there.

It is pure hypocrisy.

And yes, Vaughan and those he represents don't like clubs and are trying to run them out of the area. This is my beef. The whole process of what they're trying to do and deciding that the entire area has to cater to their singular vision.

This is what pisses me off.

I will say it again.

Before the condo owners moved into this area it was a very well known club zone.

Zone. But how many of those individual clubs with their accoutrements are as mythically enduring as the El Mocambo sign? (Thus my reference.)

I will say it again.

Before the condo owners moved into this area it was a very well known club zone. This wasn't a secret. So I don't understand people moving into this area and then complaining about the clubs being there.

It is pure hypocrisy.

And yes, Vaughan and those he represents don't like clubs and are trying to run them out of the area. This is my beef. The whole process of what they're trying to do and deciding that the entire area has to cater to their singular vision.

This is what pisses me off.

It's not hypocrisy, it's freedom and capitalism.
If you didn't want to risk getting kicked out, you should have purchased the land and not let it be developed for residential purposes.
You didn't. A changing environment is a business risk. This is a risk that has blown up in the clubs faces.

You didn't. A changing environment is a business risk. This is a risk that has blown up in the clubs faces.

Or at least, the club defenders' faces. The building owners, though, may well have been marking time all along...

Back