News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 503     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

News on retail chains (was: New Mall Retail)

When Movenpick left Canada several years ago, the Canadian subsidiary became independent and was renamed Richtree. "Marche" is a term used by both for their food markets.

I don't believe Richtree used "Marché", just Richtree Market Restaurant, which is basically the same thing.

Unfortunately, I don't think they are coming.
Uniclock seems to be some type of clock/music/dance/blog widget? It says there are 90638 uniclocks. I don't think each uniclock is referring to a current store location or store opening.

I must agree.

Michael Kors and Juicy Couture are opening in Vaughan Mills. This is the first Canadian store for Juicy.

Square One:

- Tabi is closing (odd, considering they just moved to a brand new location recently)

http://www.tabi.ca/locations_closing.html

ONTARIO - Closing Stores

Mississauga Square One, 100 City Centre Drive (905) 276-9941

Pickering Pickering Town Centre, 1355 Kingston Rd. (905) 839-9485

Scarborough Scarborough Town Ctr, 300 Borough Dr (416) 290-5609

Cambridge Cambridge Centre, 355 Hespler Road (519) 620-9834

Cookstown Cookstown Outlet Mall, 3311 Simcoe Road 89 (705) 458-1108

Brampton Bramalea City Centre, 25 Peel Centre Drive (905) 494-1926

Stoney Creek Eastgate Square, 75 Centennial Parkway North (905) 560-3958

Lindsay Lindsay Square Mall 401 Kent St. West (705) 878-3583

London White Oaks Mall, 1105 Wellington Rd. (519) 649-4396

Toronto Orfus Rd - Outlet Store, 39 Orfus Rd (416) 784-5942

Mississauga Heartland Town Centre - Outlet Store, 5885 Rodeo Drive (905) 501-8656

Unionville 157 Main Street (905) 948 9693

Niagara Falls 6380 Fallsview Boulevard (905) 358-9576

BRITISH COLUMBIA - Closing Stores

Victoria Victoria Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas St. (250) 388-7511

Surrey Guilford Town Ctr, 2695 Guildford Town Ctr (604) 589-8669

Burnaby Metrotown, 4800 Kingsway (604) 436-0450

Abbotsford Sevenoaks Shopping Centre, 32900 South Fraser Way (604) 855-3370

Burnaby Brentwood Town Centre, 4567 Lougheed Highway (604) 299-6574

Victoria Mayfair Mall, 3147 Douglas Street (250) 382-5872

ALBERTA - Closing Stores

Calgary TD Square, 317 7th Ave S.W. (403) 266-6880

Lethbridge Park Place Shopping Centre 501 - 1st Avenue (403)317-1530

Edmonton West Edmonton Mall, 8770-170th Street (780) 481-7506

Red Deer Bower Place, 4900 Molly Bannister Dr. (403) 347-4328

Calgary Sunridge Mall, 2525-36th Street N.E. (403) 285-5060

MANITOBA- Closing Store

Winnipeg Kildonan Place, 1555 Regent Ave West (204) 663-8043

NOVA SCOTIA - Closing Store

Dartmouth Mic Mac Mall, 21 Mic Mac Blvd. (902) 466-9912

yes, that is the list of CLOSING stores

Last edited:
What would be great is if they did that, and made it so that you don't have to go outside to get to the bus terminal. Make the escalator inside going up, with a +15 type bridge above the road. Of course, that would be difficult with the buses needing to loop around the terminal on the south end.

While it's great that the GTA's super-regional malls have recently refurbished/expanded, or are planning to do the same, I am curious about the Eaton Centre...can it be expanded any further and more importantly, why is it not being renovated? Obviously, I understand the importance and significance of the "flying geese" and all that but I mean the actual interiors...they're quite tired looking; the worst offenders in my eyes are the food courts and the washrooms...they're so bad, ill-equipped, and generally unattractive...this mall is being milked too much for its location (i.e. it will always be busy because of its location no matter how run-down it gets)....I would say of all the major malls in the GTA, it is the worst in terms of its interior up-keep, etc. What do you all think?

It needs work big time, but renovations will be difficult to accomplish because of the volume it sees every day. Bathrooms would be easy enough to renovate, but they don't have enough of them to pick up the slack if one is shut down. To do the ceiling they would have to build some sort of scaffold that doesn't touch the floor and impede traffic flow. They also need to make the north-end food court more noticeable. Nobody remembers it's there; it's a wonder any of the restaurants there make money.

By the by, if you go up to the landing outside the kid's book entrance to Indigo (Level Four, near Mr Greenjeans), you will find the best bathrooms in Toronto. They serve the office wing of Eaton Centre, so there's lower traffic and more of an incentive to make it pretty.

Last edited:
While it's great that the GTA's super-regional malls have recently refurbished/expanded, or are planning to do the same, I am curious about the Eaton Centre...can it be expanded any further and more importantly, why is it not being renovated? Obviously, I understand the importance and significance of the "flying geese" and all that but I mean the actual interiors...they're quite tired looking; the worst offenders in my eyes are the food courts and the washrooms...they're so bad, ill-equipped, and generally unattractive...this mall is being milked too much for its location (i.e. it will always be busy because of its location no matter how run-down it gets)....I would say of all the major malls in the GTA, it is the worst in terms of its interior up-keep, etc. What do you all think?

Restore the 70s Zeidler high-tech spirit the best one can, i.e. fold the "tiredness" up against itself.

The issue with renovating or expanding the major malls like Yorkdale and TEC is that they are already at the top of their earning potential. Since they are both owned by pension funds the return on sinking hundreds of millions into expansion may not payout as easily as it would upgrading a B level mall.

It needs work big time, but renovations will be difficult to accomplish because of the volume it sees every day. Bathrooms would be easy enough to renovate, but they don't have enough of them to pick up the slack if one is shut down. To do the ceiling they would have to build some sort of scaffold that doesn't touch the floor and impede traffic flow. They also need to make the north-end food court more noticeable. Nobody remembers it's there; it's a wonder any of the restaurants there make money.

By the by, if you go up to the landing outside the kid's book entrance to Indigo (Level Four, near Mr Greenjeans), you will find the best bathrooms in Toronto. They serve the office wing of Eaton Centre, so there's lower traffic and more of an incentive to make it pretty.

Is it true that part of the PATH uses the Eaton Centre 24/7? If that's true, it would be difficult to even work on putting in new floor tiles overnight, let alone use scaffolding to replace the ceiling.

I like the North Food Court - I often go there to avoid the craziness of the South Food Court.

The issue with renovating or expanding the major malls like Yorkdale and TEC is that they are already at the top of their earning potential. Since they are both owned by pension funds the return on sinking hundreds of millions into expansion may not payout as easily as it would upgrading a B level mall.

I think the last renovation to Yorkdale was coordinated quite smoothly, and has justified the investment by attracting very exclusive luxury retailers that only open in prime, best-in-class locations. (ie. Tiffany, Burberry, Crate & Barrel, Juicy). Other super-regional malls (TEC, Sherway, SQ1) have not been able to attract the same tenants as Yorkdale as of late. This will only be more evident when and if Yorkdale puts on a 130,000 SF expansion. I hope they consider redoing or relocating their Food Court into the new expansion. It's pretty sad for a mall of Yorkdale's caliber. Malls like Mapleview in Burlington and Conestoga in Waterloo have been rolling out the red carpet when it comes to mall food courts in their new expansions over the past few years that rival Toronto's malls.

Last edited:
I know that the Eaton Centre building is open 24/7, but I don't know about the PATH connectivity. I don't see why not, though.

There's a Juicy Couture at Yorkdale (recent)

so vaughan Mills wil be the 2nd canadian.

also,

MICHAEL KORS to open in EATON CENTER

JACK 'N JONES to open at Fairview Mall by Summer

Michael Kors and Juicy Couture are opening in Vaughan Mills. This is the first Canadian store for Juicy.

Last edited:

Back