News   Mar 28, 2024
 110     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Corktown

Nothing as tall as what's being built, which are all within spitting distance of each other. The new buildings will tower over anything currently here.

re: arguing (?). It's a forum, it wouldn't be much of one if there were no discussions going on. Would you prefer that?

Corktown District buildings:
52 Su – 6 fl
549 K – 6 fl
569 K– 6 fl
510 K – 7 fl

Already in Corktown (list is not exhaustive and excludes nearby Regent Park/Distillery/planned WDL buildings):
Edna Dixon Apts – 6 fl
Vinegar lofts – 5+1 fl
Brewery Lofts – 5+ fl
Magic Building, Sumach – 3/4 fl
Mixed use King & Parliament – 6 fl
Mixed use, Dominion Brewery – 4/5/6fl
Mixed use, Queen/Sumach – 4 fl
Knitting Mill Lofts - 5 fl
Apartments at King/DVP - 4 tall flrs
Mixed use, River & Queen - 4 fl

Corktown has already been carved up with larger scale buildings. The Streetcar developments make more sense in Corktown than they would in a more homogeneously 2/3 storey residential neighbourhood like Cabbagetown.

Last edited:
Nothing as tall as what's being built, which are all within spitting distance of each other. The new buildings will tower over anything currently here.

re: arguing (?). It's a forum, it wouldn't be much of one if there were no discussions going on. Would you prefer that?

haha - I agree with ya there bud.

Corktown District buildings:
52 Su – 6 fl
549 K – 6 fl
569 K– 6 fl
510 K – 7 fl

Already in Corktown (list is not exhaustive and excludes nearby Regent Park/Distillery/planned WDL buildings):
Edna Dixon Apts – 6 fl
Vinegar lofts – 5+1 fl
Brewery Lofts – 5+ fl
Magic Building, Sumach – 3/4 fl
Mixed use King & Parliament – 6 fl
Mixed use, Dominion Brewery – 4/5/6fl
Mixed use, Queen/Sumach – 4 fl
Knitting Mill Lofts - 5 fl
Apartments at King/DVP - 4 tall flrs
Mixed use, River & Queen - 4 fl

Those are all blocks away. The area they're building these in is still low-rise. I live here. I see it every day :) The tallest building in that 'triangle' is either Magic, or 52 St. Lawrence. Both will be towered over by these crappy new comers.

Corktown has already been carved up with larger scale buildings. The Streetcar developments make more sense in Corktown than they would in a more homogeneously 2/3 storey residential neighbourhood like Cabbagetown.

That they make more sense here than somewhere else is faint praise. They don't exactly belong here either. The parcels they're built on should have gone to townhouses like on the North side of King, which would be more in keeping with the character of the neighbourhood. It's hard to argue that a 6 story building belongs anywhere near Bright St or Percy St.

I suppose the only really appropriate part is that yet again, Corktown gets boned.

Last edited:
Is this really that different than people who bought houses around Yonge/Eglinton (for example) when they were first built because they were quiet and outside of the city, only to discover that the neighbourhood around them was built up in the subsequent years and was no longer as quiet? It seems to me like a few 5/6 storey mid-rise structures bringing in more people and ultimately, higher property values for people who are already there.

Considering how many people want to live in the city, i dont think settling for a few 5-storey buildings is that much to ask for something so close to the core

Those are all blocks away. The area they're building these in is still low-rise. I live here. I see it every day :) The tallest building in that 'triangle' is either Magic, or 52 St. Lawrence. Both will be towered over by these crappy new comers.

I live here too and see lots of midrise.

According to Google Maps all of the buildings on the list, save King & Parliament, are within 1,000 feet of King & Sumach. And they're all between 100% and 66% of the height of the 6-storey Corktown District trio.

For your point of view to make any sense, we would have to redefine what "close" and "towering over" mean, no?

I think Corktown is defined by sticky people like me & TKTKTK :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That they make more sense here than somewhere else is faint praise. They don't exactly belong here either. The parcels they're built on should have gone to townhouses like on the North side of King, which would be more in keeping with the character of the neighbourhood. It's hard to argue that a 6 story building belongs anywhere near Bright St or Percy St.

I wouldn't like to see more townhouses right on King St, I don't think those newer ones were appropriate in the first place. King St itself is a major downtown street, and its mid-rise scale should be extended out this way. It needs retail at grade, more private residential entrances right on King St would kill the stretch.

I live here too and see lots of midrise.

According to Google Maps all of the buildings on the list, save King & Parliament, are within 1,000 feet of King & Sumach. And they're all between 100% and 66% of the height of the 6-storey Corktown District trio.

For your point of view to make any sense, we would have to redefine what "close" and "towering over" mean, no?

Not really. You're talking about buildings a couple streets away. I'm talking about buildings being built ON those streets. 6 stories on the corner of King and Percy?! Really?

I think Corktown is defined by sticky people like me & TKTKTK :rolleyes:

I love my neighb, and all its warts and scars. I'm just worried that all this ultra-dull new is going to leave it feeling like a downtown subdivision. Especially with 3 of the 4 new buildings being almost identical. That's a lot to subject a small area to.

I sincerely don't think you'll all keep singing these behemoths' praise once they're built out more.

I wouldn't like to see more townhouses right on King St, I don't think those newer ones were appropriate in the first place. King St itself is a major downtown street, and its mid-rise scale should be extended out this way. It needs retail at grade, more private residential entrances right on King St would kill the stretch.

King St. is not a major downtown street at this point. That would be like saying King St. W at Roncesvalles is the same major street as Queen at Roncey.

King St., East of Parliament, becomes much sleepier than Queen - and it should stay sleepier than Queen (which runs only a block to the north of it)

It seems to me like a few 5/6 storey mid-rise structures bringing in more people and ultimately, higher property values for people who are already there.

We're talking 4 6/7 Story buildings built within spitting distance of each other, and neighbouring some of our oldest and most historic streets. It's a tremendously shitty way to steward Corktown's history.

Previously we've talked about the similarities between Corktown and Cabbagetown; can you imagine buildings like this going into Cabbagetown in this day and age?

Just because Corktown's historically gotten the short end of the stick (Regent Park, Eastern Diversion & Richmond/Adelaide ramps, etc) doesn't mean we need to continue down that road.

Considering how many people want to live in the city, i dont think settling for a few 5-storey buildings is that much to ask for something so close to the core

Considering how large the city is, and how many open plots of land are still around, is it really that much to ask that some neighbourhoods not be obliterated by sameness?

I wouldn't necessarily consider Streetcar's CT District to be all the same to what the rest of the city's seeing. In fact it seems to be more uniquely tailored and respectful to the area than many other developments. Most new developments establish new height and scale precedents, while the Corktown District buildings barely up it at all. Sure they're a little taller than most of their neighbours, but not in such a drastic way. Corktown is defined by 4-6 storey warehouses sitting next to 2 storey workers' cottages, historic victorian rows almost spliced by highway onramps, and a general gritty hodgepodge of scales and styles. I think what's proposed only furthers the now established evolution of the urban landscape of Corktown.

I know we're obviously not going to magically change each other's minds here, but I think once all is said and done, the CT District buildings will fit in and become a positive fixture in the neighbourhood.

The only building with any built potential is 510 King. 52 Sumach and 569 King are going to be Pug Award contenders.

Really? I think you're tying the judgment screws awfully tight here--maybe this "industrial loft vernacular" is becoming cliche, but we aren't exactly talking about BeBloor depths of ignominy in this case.

If we're talking about Pug contenders, we're talking about among the sorts of voters who prefer Kirkor to Core, NY Towers to Stewart Street...

Is this the block where the new restaurant/cafe is supposed to be opening?

IMG_6266.jpg

Excavation underway. 569 King St E, I believe?

IMG_6284.jpg

I've got more Corktown photos in my Out and About photo thread. The Corktown ones are in post #8.

Really? I think you're tying the judgment screws awfully tight here--maybe this "industrial loft vernacular" is becoming cliche, but we aren't exactly talking about BeBloor depths of ignominy in this case.

If we're talking about Pug contenders, we're talking about among the sorts of voters who prefer Kirkor to Core, NY Towers to Stewart Street...

You don't seriously believe these are the equal of those Stewart Street condos, do you?

I'm not sure I love the "these buildings aren't as bad as the worst buildings we can imagine" line of thinking. That isn't praise, it's weak justification.

I wouldn't necessarily consider Streetcar's CT District to be all the same to what the rest of the city's seeing. In fact it seems to be more uniquely tailored and respectful to the area than many other developments. Most new developments establish new height and scale precedents, while the Corktown District buildings barely up it at all.

It isn't that they're the same in comparison to the rest of the city - they're the same in comparison to each other. 3 giant, same, buildings is a lot to place in a neighbourhood that is, still, characterized by historic low-rise.

I'll take photos of the areas and sites I'm talking about later this week (it's my birthday tomorrow, so there's a little too much to do this weekend already).

Back