Toronto Eau du Soleil Condos | 227.98m | 66s | Empire | Richmond Architects

Hmmm... Sp!re meets the WTC twins. Why not?

The mid-rises continue the brand new Toronto planning tradition of designing children's building blocks precariously balanced "incorrectly" (the Ex hotel, entertainment district etc.).

Here's hoping this new wonky wave of massing disguised as architecture isn't characterized as derivative when the big one shakes lotusland in 2011... after which all the van junior skyscrapers will look very much like this ^... "shift baby, shift".

What an urbannightmare that will be.

I too was going to comment on the fact that the 'skewed box' will most likely supplant the '3-sided box' in the lexicon of Torontonian architecture. And what a glorious shift it will be...

Wow is right! With two towers at a proposed 50 stories, it will make it the tallest buildings in the area with Palace Pier second at 46. This project along with 2175 Lakeshore (Chestnut Hill) proposal, Nautilus, South Beach, California, I Loft, Beyond The Sea, and Waterscapes....this area is definitely primed for some big time retail and restaurants!

I really like this! Looks great. I think one shouldn't have to be surprised to see good architecture, it really should be the norm. Instead we get so much typical crap that when we see something decent we are amazed it's in an area that isn't downtown. Quite a few of the really awesome buildings lately haven't been proposed or built downtown, so I would expect to see more of this.

Really tall and skinny, look like near 500 foot towers which is just huge for that area.

Creates a whole little own mini skyline in the Humber Bay area.

I don't really see why I shouldn't continue the chorus of wows with this.

I've always liked this high density area of Lakeshore, and this should be a great addition! It's good that this really big empty spot along the corridor will get developed, as there's still tonnes of work that could be done with that whole area in and around Humber Bay. I know there's been steady development, but I don't see why developers haven't scrambled over eachother to start building waterfront towers.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is the style. All that glass and the general style of the building seems to be a lot different than the others that are already in the area. I'm assuming that there'll be more development in the area (I'll bet Humber Bay will be totally filled within another 30 years or so,) but off the bat, it'll stick out a bit. It probably won't initially add to the design and style, but adding a few similar styled buildings to this in other places could even things out and make a nice contrast from both the water and inland.

I don't really see why I shouldn't continue the chorus of wows with this.

The only thing that I'm concerned about is the style. All that glass and the general style of the building seems to be a lot different than the others that are already in the area. I'm assuming that there'll be more development in the area (I'll bet Humber Bay will be totally filled within another 30 years or so,) but off the bat, it'll stick out a bit. It probably won't initially add to the design and style, but adding a few similar styled buildings to this in other places could even things out and make a nice contrast from both the water and inland.

So we should continue producing crap because it assimilates with the crap that already exists there? I don't buy that for one second. With regard to the further development of Humber Bay, the two massing studies posted above show what kind of density those at City Hall are planning here. As you rightly note, it will be 'totally filled.'

However, your suggestion that this complex 'wont add to the design and style' of HB, seems at odds with the existing built form. Could you elaborate on what design and which style(s) you would like to see here? The fairy-tale parapets? The silly roof ornaments? The broken, unabashedly North American, car-centric planning cloaked in 'pedestrian' rhetoric? I'm just not sure what you see in those past developments; values which I assume you feel should be continued here?

Also, Hypnotoad's fears about buildings turning their backs to the street are well informed and there are many examples of that sort of planning right here in HB. However, MJMA's exclusion of a podium in lieu of a small streetscape seems like a logical urban progression to me. aA's doing it downtown at Ice, albeit with a unifying canopy, so why not here? The streets appear to be open to pedestrians and without a hulking podium to (badly) disguise the towers' bulk, I think things should work just fine.

I was thinking that I don't see a lot of transition around Humber Bay between the relatively grey high rises and the new "in" of some white with mostly blue.

I realize there actually are a few of these buildings up already, so I guess it should be all good, especially with new developments. I don't know about development plans for the area, but it could definitely be totally filled in with high rises.

Damn, give it a few years and it will feel like living in Miami. I always thought of HBS as a colder version of a resort.

Novae Res Urbis

Design Review Panel Agenda

The Design Review Panel will consider the following at its meeting at Toronto City Hall on Tuesday, March 23 at 12:00 p.m. in Committee Room 2.

12:10 P.M.

The panel will take its first look at a proposed development at 2183 Lake Shore Boulevard West. Project proponent Weston Consulting Group is currently in the pre-application stage and anticipates submitting applications for official plan and zoning by-law amendments and site plan approval. The panel will hear presentations from city urban designer Emilia Floron, Weston Consulting Group’s Kurt Franklin and architect David Miller (MJM Architects).

Finally, someone chose a real architect to do something on the waterfront...

contextdiagram.jpg
3Drendering.jpg
modelimage.jpg
elev-1.gif
plan_landscape%20copy.jpg
elev-3.gif

2183 Lakeshore Boulevard West is the last site located along the Etobicoke Humber Shores Development area. This area has been supporting high density growth for the Greater Toronto Area, attracting residents with skyline views, access to waterfront bike trails and parks, proximity to Lake Ontario, and minimal commute to downtown Toronto.

MJM has proposed a site strategy which utilizes the features of this site while offering a progressive solution for high density residential development. Two slender 50 storey towers and three small 10 to 12 storey low rise buildings house 1000 residential units. Along Lake Shore Boulevard a 3 storey Amenity Building with a pool and fitness area will accommodate the recreation activities for residents and potentially members of the community. A large open park space, adjacent to the open green space which abuts the property line, brings the waterfront landscape into the site for the residents. Public pathways are provided through the site to connect to the open green space and the path system beyond. All of the building Lobbies and Entrances are located along the central spine of the site and are connected to walkways to the water, the Amenity Building and the streets beyond.

MJM is working with Planning Partnership and Cobalt Engineering on sustainable initiatives including the incorporation of geothermal heating, reduction and reuse of storm water and the installation of green roofs for the Amenity and Low Rise Buildings.

Client Weston Consulting Group Inc.
Project Area 975,000 sq.ft.
Construction Costs 265M
Project Completion 2015-2020

UPDATED image links for the above:

Converted_Resized_contextdiagram.jpg

Converted_Resized_3Drendering2.jpg

Converted_Resized_3Drendering.jpg

Converted_Resized_modelimage.jpg

Resized_plan_landscape.jpg

View02_final.jpg

View04_final.jpg

Kind of hate how these really tall condos block the view of the lake. They should be lowrise along the water and step up as you move away from the lake.

But you can argue that that lower buildings end up with larger floor plates than point towers and as a result block more views ...

Sweet! More stacked buildings. Love it! I'm so glad that design in Toronto is changing, even if very slowly.

Back