News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Susur closing?

Looks like he'll still have a restaurant (or possibly two) here while also opening one in NYC. So he's not totally leaving.

Has anyone ever been to one of his restaurants? If so, was it good? He seems like Toronto's most renown chef at the moment.

Looks like he'll still have a restaurant (or possibly two) here while also opening one in NYC. So he's not totally leaving.

Has anyone ever been to one of his restaurants? If so, was it good? He seems like Toronto's most renown chef at the moment.

I've been to his restaurant "Lee". It was a very unique dining experience. The menu items are very different from the usual fare. I recall we had a tower of potato crisps as an appetizer. I think I had a duck confit as the entree. Very good, very expensive, not very filling.

This past summer I was walking by one evening and saw Mike Myers inside eating with some friends.

Oh, and Susur was my neighbor on Lakeview Avenue a few years ago, which was interesting.

I went to Susur when it first opened. It was excellent, though my memories of the food have become somewhat hazy. I'm sure it's changed over the years. I went to Lee not logn after it opened, too, and it was delicious. I'm glad that at least it is staying. (especially because it's the one I can actually afford!)

Just ate at Lee for my birthday, was a really good meal, the slow braised beef was like butter, and the asian coleslaw was unique....never much bothered with Susur, looks like I never will.

I've been to his restaurant "Lee". It was a very unique dining experience. The menu items are very different from the usual fare. I recall we had a tower of potato crisps as an appetizer. I think I had a duck confit as the entree. Very good, very expensive, not very filling.

This past summer I was walking by one evening and saw Mike Myers inside eating with some friends.

Oh, and Susur was my neighbor on Lakeview Avenue a few years ago, which was interesting.

Interesting in what way?

He must've brought some good stuff over to barbecues ;).

I wonder why he's so keen on moving to NYC. It's obviously a larger stage with the best of the best (which probably answers my own question) but he's doing well here. It's nice to have chefs unique to the city.

Interesting in what way?

He must've brought some good stuff over to barbecues ;).

I wonder why he's so keen on moving to NYC. It's obviously a larger stage with the best of the best (which probably answers my own question) but he's doing well here. It's nice to have chefs unique to the city.

Maybe interesting is the wrong word. Sort of peculiar that this world-renowned chef was our neighbour. Nice guy, always said "hi".

Susur is eye candy for me which is much better than the high calorie dishes he serves. Water and a table close to his work station would fill my belly just fine!

Susur is still a top 5 restaurant in Toronto. This is a shame.

Yea...but it used to be #1. He's not a dummy...Susur had a great run, and now is the time to quit while he's still in the top ten. Which is why he is closing it down and re-opening with a whole new concept. Lee is great, but it isn't a full-on, high-end resto like Susur. Of course he is spreading to New York...he has an ego (hence the Iron Chef appearance).

And isn't it a little odd, that Thompson hotel in New York is getting a Susur, while Toronto is getting a Thompson hotel...right behind Susur?

mikeUrban...I used to live on Lakeview myself...still have close friends who live there.

It looks like Toronto will still have two Susur Lee restaurants:

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/40901

On May 31, he will close his eponymous Susur on King St. W. The space will be remodelled by Bent and relaunched in late summer as a casual shared-plates concept grounded in Europe, replacing the $120 reverse tasting menus, served with the heaviest course first, and leisurely truffle-themed dinners.

"We couldn't do the three-hour dining experience with Susur in New York three or four days a week," Bent said.

Lee, his restaurant next door to Susur, is to remain open.

Back