News   Apr 26, 2024
 179     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 432     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.3K     4 

Toronto skyline

Thanks to r937 for pointing-out that ancient stretch of Yonge St.

Anyone care to guess how long before it's all demolished and replaced?

YongeStstrip_zps7589103b.jpg

Well, we know the stretch in front of Five St. Joseph isn't going anywhere. A very large portion of these buildings are listed or designated. The biggest impediment to their restoration or redevelopment is the fractured land ownership as well as the unrealistic land prices being asked by their owners.

I hope the vast majority remains untouched or replaced with 5ive or 1 Yorkville-esque redevelopments that maintain as much of the historical fabric as possible. God forbid we should try and preserve even a small stretch of storefronts and the corresponding built form.

I hope the vast majority remains untouched or replaced with 5ive or 1 Yorkville-esque redevelopments that maintain as much of the historical fabric as possible. God forbid we should try and preserve even a small stretch of storefronts and the corresponding built form.

I hope it all disappears - replace it all with as many tall condos as possible and maybe we'll be saving some trees and natural habitats somewhere in the world

I'll bet anyone that all those heritage buildings will be history (pardon the pun) within 20 years or less, I just hope to god they preserve at least the facades of some of the store fronts on Yonge, so we have at least something to remember the Toronto we grew up in. Yes, growth can be painful, and we're suffering some major growing pains, I can only hope that, in time, we'll all get use to it, because.....we ain't got no choice!! Just imagine not just Yonge, but front Queens Quay all the way up to Sheppard, in a other 20+ years, it will be one very big, very long downtown core.

....we ain't got no choice!! Just imagine not just Yonge, but front Queens Quay all the way up to Sheppard, in a other 20+ years, it will be one very big, very long downtown core.

Remember that the idea of tall buildings from the lake to Sheppard is not reflected in the current Official Plan, nor is there any desire by the politicians, residents or planners to see anything beyond the "avenue" scale from Davenport to the 401, except for such established nodes as Yonge/St. Clair and Yonge/Eglinton (and even there everything seems to result in a fight). South of Bloor, current planning guidelines have prioritized heritage preservation and have established setbacks and angular planes to ensure that Yonge still retains some semblance of what makes it unique in terms of scale and texture. The City has made it clear that they don't want Yonge south of Bloor to look like Bay south of Bloor.

what is that tallest building in this picture....just left of bmo....what intersection is it at?

You must mean Aura at Yonge and Gerrard. It only appears to be the tallest due to perspective, though it is the third tallest in Toronto as measured by roof height.

That view from One Bloor looks quite a bit different than I thought it would be. Perhaps because the skyline has changed so much just in the past several years, that the 'marketed views' on the website are well out of date. Lots of tall towers springing up along Yonge Street in close proximity to One Bloor. Amazing view nonetheless. Just the thought of another massive skyscraper (385) rising to the left of Aura at Gerard and YC in the foreground.

Yonge Street in downtown Toronto indeed has been observed and called so boring with the insignificant historic architecture that nobody really pays attention to and the surprisingly countryside town style low density streetscape for The major downtown road... I'm thinking, it would be really nice to boldly demolish them all, but make it the world's longest park strip along a major downtown street, instead of condos. :) That will make the downtown Yonge much more unique, dynamic, diverse, breathable, and cultural "city centre" road to walk on. The quantity should be accompanied by quality for truly upgrading our poor former hogtown.

Last edited:

Back