News   Mar 28, 2024
 433     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 304     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 324     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

This is my first then-and-now post and I'm fully aware that it's underwhelming. But it is a) close to where I live and b) an indication that some things in Toronto haven't changed all that much in 80 years, despite the mass destruction going on elsewhere...

lame hepbourne and ossington.jpg

More to come...

Attachments

• lame hepbourne and ossington.jpg
    lame hepbourne and ossington.jpg
    660.7 KB · Views: 1,652
Last edited:
what are the chances that pole is the very same one?? Even the sidewalk with manhole cover look identical

It probably is the same pole. You can see the faded paint from the old fire call-box, which is visible as a different shade of black-grey in the Then view. Sadly the tree just barely visible at left in the Then view is now a stump. Great photos.

This is my first then-and-now post and I'm fully aware that it's underwhelming. But it is a) close to where I live and b) an indication that some things in Toronto haven't changed all that much in 80 years, despite the mass destruction going on elsewhere...

View attachment 43213

More to come...

However, the "destruction" illustrated in the "now" is much more subtle: bad windows, removed porches, lost bay windows, etc. The overall harmony of the original streetscape on many streets like Ossington has been lessened over the years.

Projection room added to Royal Alex

Brief news item (The Weekly Building Reporter, June 14, 1930), strangely without mention of the name of the famous theatre: "Lawrence Solman, 260 King W., install projection room in theatre 260 King W., near Simcoe ............... $4,000."

RoyalAlex.JPG

Attachments

• RoyalAlex.JPG
    RoyalAlex.JPG
    477.1 KB · Views: 1,168
Then. Old Eatons warehouses coming down - late 70s, or 1980ish?

Just incredible to me that the work is being done by hand - look up on the roof.

1336_zpslyitnn22.jpg

Now. March 2014. Eaton Centre Marriott hotel on the left. Church of the Holy Trinity at centre looking even better. Bell Trinity Square on the right [an eyesore to me].

1337_zpsjtk7nezu.jpg

Another Then view,,, quite neat this one.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail...y-trinity-church-will-be-news-photo/502807695

Last edited:
Also note how Holy Trinity regained its front gable balustrade in the process of restoration. (Boy, it looked dour pre-restoration.)

Then. Old Eatons warehouses coming down - late 70s, or 1980ish?

Just incredible to me that the work is being done by hand - look up on the roof.

1336_zpslyitnn22.jpg

This was after the spectacular conflagration that brought a lot of these buildings down. Someone here would have the exact date but I think it was the summer of 1977.

This was after the spectacular conflagration that brought a lot of these buildings down. Someone here would have the exact date but I think it was the summer of 1977.

Right. A search of the Toronto online archive using "annex" brings up many pictures showing the smoking ruins of the Annex building dated May 9, 1977. The Annex was just to the right [south], out-of-picture, on my Then picture.

Attachments

• TN Lipton loop shelter east york 1931.JPG
    TN Lipton loop shelter east york 1931.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 1,118
Thanks Mustapha, for that link to Getty Images.
It was nice to see that my late friend, Dick Darrell, still gets credit for his photography.

As an old-time East Yorker, this brought back memories:

View attachment 43474

Thank you Goldie. No place to rest weary legs in those days. Even now many of the new glass shelters have - what - two? - seats?

Great roof; could be that of The Metallic Roofing Co of Canada Ltd.
(Late at King & Dufferin.)

Regards,
J T

Back