News   Apr 18, 2024
 671     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.9K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

It looks pretty similar to the 79 Pontiac Sunfire I drove in high school in the early 80s. I once got 10 people inside that thing...

It looks pretty similar to the 79 Pontiac Sunfire I drove in high school in the early 80s. I once got 10 people inside that thing...

Cars from that era have pretty much vanished, especially the smaller ones, although I did see one around Davenport & Caledonia not too long ago ... and a very well maintained Astre out in Scarborough somewhere.

ETA: You meant Sunbird, right? Because the Sunfire was a '90s thing.

I believe those Danforth/Broadview photos were located at Library and Archives Canada's web site.

I remember a "Fish'nChips" place on the north side of Danforth, one or two blocks east of Broadview.
When I was taken there in the 1940s, I always got chips in a cone fashioned from newspaper.

I finally found the Fish & Chip photo. Not sure of the year or location. Somewhere on the Danforth, east of Broadview. If someone has any more information it would be greatly appreciated. Andrews Fish & Chips Cafe.

I finally found the Fish & Chip photo. Not sure of the year or location. Somewhere on the Danforth, east of Broadview. If someone has any more information it would be greatly appreciated. Andrews Fish & Chips Cafe.

I totally love this thread. I never have anything to contribute. I just lurk. But I am grateful.

Now, as for the Andrews Fish'n'Chips pic, I am guessing, based on the ladies' fashions and shoes, that it was taken right after WW1. The chic lady in the middle, with her drop-waist dress, is a dead giveaway for 1920-21. Which would make sense as the men probably returned from over there with the idea of opening up a fish and chips shop.

Thanks brewster. Wonderful photo.
Very likely the spot I frequented in the 1940s.

Grand Opening 1963

Lawrence-BellamyAuntJemima1963_zps19d77473.jpg

KFCLawrenceAve_zpsdb09dab5.jpg

Very astute observation, railmus.
The 'irony' (and you are correct) went right over my head.

It's early Sunday morning and I don't have any material for a Then and Now.

But I'm going to post a kind-of-Then-and-Now because something got my goat up.

One of my rituals is to read The New Yorker magazine. I'm not saying anyone else should but their online article about Sunday shopping in Bergen county NJ (there isn't any) reminded me of what Sunday shopping was like in this great province until Bob Rae put paid to the old regulations in 1992.

From 1911:

20q1h54.jpg

The picture below; from the full article linked below the picture, reminded me that on Ontario Sundays prior to 1992, as an example, milk stores could do business on Sundays, but supermarkets couldn't. So - supermarkets would open to sell milk, but rope off the grocery areas. Yessir, some of us lived through that foolishness. Folks in Bergen still do.

23ivw5z.jpg

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/americas-last-ban-sunday-shopping?intcid=mod-yml

Some weird arceheology in NYC...

http://www.scoutingny.com/scouting-ny-archives-2/

Last edited:
This from the 1893 street directory:

Boustead James B, J P, Real Estate and Issuer of
Marriage Licenses and Agent of Phoenix
lnsurance Co of Hartford. 12 Adelaide e,

Why were real estate/insurance broker offices issuing marriage licences?

Last edited:
This from the 1893 street directory:

Boustead James B, J P, Real Estate and Issuer of
Marriage Licenses and Agent of Phoenix
lnsurance Co of Hartford. 12 Adelaide e,

Why were real estate/insurance broker offices issuing marriage licences?

J P - Justice of the Peace

Seems reasonable that they could issue marriage licences because they can still perform marriages.

Back