Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

It is. Even though it's "meh" it's extremely recognizable from almost every area of the city. I don't think anyone can argue it doesn't mark the land it sits on.

I'll give you this much, you really know how to sell its mediocrity.

I like Aura, not only the design, but hopefully in that will encourage developers to move north with bigger projects.

Perhaps those developers should go a bit more bold, with a bit more design flare to appease the critics here though.

The CN tower was and still is a majestic cutting edge structure that told the world we are bold, daring and demanding the best.

Aura tells the world we are satisified with mediocrity - that we pile it higher here than anywhere else in Canada.

The profile is outstanding--very metropolitan in a masculine way. Art Deco towers in NYC and Chicago give those cities a similar look of masculine strength that fits their identities as leading cities of the world. Our architecture should be that way as well, though I'll also take 10 more Marilyns for my visual pleasure.

Last edited:
Thankfully for Toronto, much better projects are either under way, or are being planned. Gradually, the eye will be drawn away from "Aura" and towards better executed high-rises.

Thankfully for Toronto, much better projects are either under way, or are being planned. Gradually, the eye will be drawn away from "Aura" and towards better executed high-rises.

Hard to say. Because Aura is a massive building. It has a equally huge street presence as it does on the skyline. There are many tall high rises planned around it, but there are very few spots left in the core that can accommodate buildings of Aura and One Bloors scale. These are landmark buildings for better or for worse. Aura is here to stay and eyes will still be drawn to one of the most distinct rooflines in the city - Aura's single greatest contribution, even if it looks unfinished up close.

Back