News   Apr 18, 2024
 695     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.2K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Fantasy Renderings

I threw my P+S hat in the garbage. Today I'm trying on my aA cap--does it fit?
zbOtUNI.png

Inspired by the modernist aesthetic architectsAlliance is known for: thanks!
Mw10Asy.png

Delete Portland Variety--insert Portland Condovenience--at King & Portland:
UjrtjLn.png

Brick, stainless steel, wood, precast and glazing: are you ready for the Rob Ford selfiegram?
rI2hzBt.png

The idea: sliding perforated metal screens define the angled "bay windows."
FTR1c2L.png

I'm slowly adding more details to my sketches--interiors to come sometime later this year I hope, with your blueprints to follow in 2015?

As I walked by Portland Variety and Lee this morning I couldn't help but think what an improvement something like this would be oneday:
lmjt8DV.png

DCdVipX.png

Delete 800 Bay Street. Insert Bay Street Bore by NimbyTect:
S3khi3A.png

Why is it a bore?
1)It's on
ivzb58k.png

2)It's by
XzHakf9.png

3)It's got acres of window wall and spandrel and a cheesy hat
KMI770w.png

4)It's got one of those lame ass mixed use podiums
ZWp3HN0.png

5)It's way too tall--80 storeys of nimbyhell!
iMEF3p7.png

6)It's one of those g-d-mn balcony towers ... sigh. Therefore it's a 100%
aYmeZp9.png

The beautiful thing about having an original idea--haven't found a building like it yet on google--have you?--is I get to remix it into something different ... like NimbyTect's grey eh (rumour has it's going on Adelaide ;))
A8VKzmM.png

Concrete slabs, concrete columns and glass--how freaking simple can it get, eh?
YUeO97r.png

0FW1T0R.png

1EMFVvj.png

Sure, it needs an interior and possibly a tower to pay for all that concrete; but, that's what separates a genius from a dreamer.

Found: the perfect location for NimbyTect's greyed eh logfts: Adelaide Street West near Strachan--parking lot:
eeO19cb.png

Wouldn't it look rather smashing here?
FYnIKHE.png

HfNi2EJ.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, the other day caught me staring at Honest Ed's and wondering: WTF should go here?
STRIKE ONE - 30 minutes in sketchup gave me one possible idea:
UGitmCS.png

Welcome to the Suburbs by NimbyTect - inspired by the '60s, BIG and Studio Gang - 21 storeys to rise above Bloor and Bathurst?
8BAaLm2.png

What every "suburban" Annex dweller dreams about: a cute little bungalow in the vertical 'burbs :p
T4rTl6e.png

The "house" inspired facade pattern is just an appliqué; in section the building is the same old residential pancake/ stacking of floors, but with a pattern applied in front of it. I think the concept of houses put together to make a larger building is interesting but it would be more effective if you made the theme relate more to the actual layout of the building / the spaces within. The pattern extrusion is also pulled way too far out; why so heavy? (the structure certainly does not require such a heavy extrusion/frame); what is behind all those little spaces that are too small to be floorspace? Space = money. You need to be maximizing it where possible.

The vessel/"building" is less important than the spaces that you create. The volume/void/space is what people are paying for.

Last edited:
Um, maybe. That was just a quick sketch--needs a ton of work--maybe I'll work on it more if I ever have any time to think.

Anyhow, back to Honest Ed's site so the nimby game must continue, right?

STRIKE TWO - Honest Nimbies
Z5m5u2Q.png

JDsoTG9.png

Mass'n concept in progress--holy nimbies thou shalt seek 31 storeys of bargains here!
RbwtS4W.png

rc59ym7.png

I'm a sick nimby today but I roughed in the Bathurst streetwall doctor style:
ZN7vdTD.png

More setbacks probably needed in reality to please the planning department but whatever, here's the basic design idea:
k1D9lKg.png

YNekIy7.png

I love Swiss cheese--it's lactose free and I was eating some when I thought--why not here?!
ANyZ6PW.png

Back