News   Apr 15, 2024
 989     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 658     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Same block (looking S/E) as demolitions began for new Library.

siteofTorontoReferenceLibrary_zpsdd35ec3d.jpg

Is adma around? Can he confirm that that overhang on the right was part of the - I think - Loblaws store that was here at one time?

Also, the 'Checker' cab on the left in Diamond livery; that has to be the first image I've seen of this combination. These cars were plentiful in New York City up until 1990 or so. There was a spacious back seat area that sat up to five; two on fold down jump seats that folded up into the back of the front seat.

Is adma around? Can he confirm that that overhang on the right was part of the - I think - Loblaws store that was here at one time?

Also, the 'Checker' cab on the left in Diamond livery; that has to be the first image I've seen of this combination. These cars were plentiful in New York City up until 1990 or so. There was a spacious back seat area that sat up to five; two on fold down jump seats that folded up into the back of the front seat.

I'm definitely not Adma, but you can see a bit of it in this shot of the southwest corner of Yonge & Yorkville - but the sign says 'Pickering Farm'?

f1526_fl0001_it0134.jpg

Last edited:
Well, it was *originally* Pickering Farms--though at what point did Loblaws take over, and how long did the former branding last? Judging from the mailboxes, the photo seems early 70s-ish--and that's pretty au courant sans-serif in the PF signage. (I don't really remember the place before it became a Ziggy's superstore later in the 70s.)

Site for Victoria Park Pumping Station & R.C. Harris Purification Plant - April 1, 1935

Victoria Park Pumping Station & R.C. Harris Purification Plant - September 1, 2014

That one (extras colour saturation in PhotoShop) and most others are from my Nikon D3000.
Also use my 'point-and-shoot' Nikon Coolpix S2700 occasionally.
I like what you do. I wish there was a way to create the "Kodachrome" look.

This photo was featured here in 2009, however the caption may have been misleading (http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/6947-Miscellany-Toronto-Photographs-Then-and-Now/page105).
Rather than, "Morning shift leaving Russell Motor Car Co. Ltd., plant at King and Duncan Streets.", it appears to be a posed group of Russell's employees (mostly women) who were producing munitions for WWI in 1917. The Russell company ceased producing cars in 1916.
I was particularly surprised to find those two buildings still existing today.

TNKing-Duncan1917RussellMotorCarCo_zps28beadbc.jpg

Back