News   Apr 18, 2024
 398     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.8K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

^^^ Wow, steel high-rise building, that's not something you see anymore in Toronto. Crazy how much of the floor space is taken up by the elevator shafts.

This image of 36 King Street East from 1963 was posted on r/toronto, if anybody wants to go get a "now" picture?

Toronto-KingSt-Datacenter-1_zpsac33d603.gif

This image of 36 King Street East from 1963 was posted on r/toronto, if anybody wants to go get a "now" picture?
This photo and more of the building plus (I think) a current shot was on UT (this thread?) about a year ago. Here's a shot from Google Streetview.
36-King.jpg

Attachments

• 36-King.jpg
    36-King.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,125
Then: December 1954. Yonge St. looking N from N of Asquith Ave. I love the sign in the restaurant window (right side of photo) ... '35c for fish and chips.'

1254YongeStlookingnfromnofAsquithAve_zps1ead36fd.jpg

Now. Toronto Central Library on the right.

1255_zpse4a65b03.jpg

There are a series of poignant panoramic pictures in the corridor outside the New City Hall branch library. They are of Toronto based army regiments taken just before shipping overseas for the Great War. One of the pictures taken in a treeless Riverdale Park shows Winchester Street descending into the Don Valley behind the assembled troops. I'd never seen this before and thought it quite neat. I couldn't find the picture online but for those of you who want to try again the info is: 'Sportman's Battalion - 180th Overseas Battalion. CEF in Riverdale Park. Toronto April 13, 1916. Fonds 253. Series 2163. File 47.'

Collectors Weekly. If you like Old Stuff, and the history of it. This is worth a browse. A well done website.

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/

2.6 million old book images now online. Searchable too. Imagine the possibilities. :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/internetarchivebookimages/with/14784850762/

Last edited:
Then: December 1954. Yonge St. looking N from N of Asquith Ave. I love the sign in the restaurant window (right side of photo) ... '35c for fish and chips.'

1254YongeStlookingnfromnofAsquithAve_zps1ead36fd.jpg

Now. Toronto Central Library on the right.

1255_zpse4a65b03.jpg

Same block (looking S/E) as demolitions began for new Library.

siteofTorontoReferenceLibrary_zpsdd35ec3d.jpg

Back