News   Apr 25, 2024
 137     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

It was likely demolished for the University Avenue extension down to meet York St at the south side of Front. Was that around 1960-61? Was it built in conjunction with the one-way scheme on Wellington, Richmond and Adelaide?

Or, perhaps, in conjunction with the University subway line (along with the underground garage at that location)

It did; but it stopped bluntly at Front Street--I believe the "extension" we're dealing with is the direct connector into York Street, which would have clipped the block in question...

It did; but it stopped bluntly at Front Street--I believe the "extension" we're dealing with is the direct connector into York Street, which would have clipped the block in question...

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. "Extension" might have been the wrong description. The original extension to Front is still there as the portion where turns to Front are premitted.

Good point, adma. In the Planning Board map from 1957-60 it still hasn't been constructed:

http://jpeg2000.eloquent-systems.com/toronto.html?image=s0727\s0727_fl0008_it0005b.jp2

Perhaps it was constructed as part of "local improvements" at the same time as the central portion of the Gardiner Expressway, in which the York Street on and off ramps were completed in 1962/63.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardiner_Expressway

Last edited:
Good point, adma. In the Planning Board map from 1957-60 it still hasn't been constructed:

http://jpeg2000.eloquent-systems.com/toronto.html?image=s0727\s0727_fl0008_it0005b.jp2

Perhaps it was constructed as part of "local improvements" at the same time as the central portion of the Gardiner Expressway, in which the York Street on and off ramps were completed in 1962/63.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardiner_Expressway

1957.JPG

Under construction in 1962 - in connection with both the York ramps and the University subway construction?
1962.JPG

And done in 1971.
1971.JPG

Attachments

• 1962.JPG
    1962.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 975
  • 1971.JPG
    1971.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 994
  • 1957.JPG
    1957.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,002
Note the "modern" street lighting on Front in the 1955 and 1958 photos (what kind would that have been?)

A and Everyone: Those were fluorescent tubes being used as street lighting - new lighting technology in that era...

I remember Chicago once used them on State Street in Downtown and the LIRR once used similar small fluorescent light brackets
in some of their stations - dating from the late 50s/early 60s era...NYC Transit began replacing subway station lighting during
those same years - fluorescent tubes were brighter and easier to maintain then the incandescent bulbs they replaced...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
The street lights in the second last photo are the same ones that were used on the DVP until the mid 90s or so, no?

I remember those so clearly as a little kid, the DVP was always lit up an eerie orange. What's the philosophy on the orange lights are they not doing them anymore? Is there a thread on street lighting?

I remember those so clearly as a little kid, the DVP was always lit up an eerie orange. What's the philosophy on the orange lights are they not doing them anymore? Is there a thread on street lighting?

I actually preferred the way they looked over the towering lights we have now. I don't like how the current lights rise above the tree line of the Don Valley from many vantage points.

I actually preferred the way they looked over the towering lights we have now. I don't like how the current lights rise above the tree line of the Don Valley from many vantage points.

One of the old Toronto coffee table photo books from the 1980s had a great dusk photo looking west along the Gardiner with those dark orange lights illuminated.

One of the old Toronto coffee table photo books from the 1980s had a great dusk photo looking west along the Gardiner with those dark orange lights illuminated.

1976:

POSTCARD - TORONTO - SKYLINE - NIGHT - TRAFFIC BLUR OF GARDINER EXPRESSWAY AT BOTTOM - 1976.jpg

Attachments

• POSTCARD - TORONTO - SKYLINE - NIGHT - TRAFFIC BLUR OF GARDINER EXPRESSWAY AT BOTTOM - 1976.jpg
    POSTCARD - TORONTO - SKYLINE - NIGHT - TRAFFIC BLUR OF GARDINER EXPRESSWAY AT BOTTOM - 1976.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,285

Nice! I haven't seen that one before. The picture I;m thinking of may have been taken from the Dufferin bridge since it was directly over the road. Now that I think of it, it might have been a view to the east since I can visualize the road elevating away from the camera. This book was perennially on sale in the World's Biggest Bookstore, there are probably copies floating around at some of the used bookstores. Now I wish I'd bought a copy!

Back