News   Apr 18, 2024
 683     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6K     2 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I've always vaguely felt I should try them once but I've never gotten around to it: so many burgers, so little time.

Fair warning, I know three separate people who have had food poisoning from The Works. I'd be leery.

Besides, with Great Burger Kitchen just down Church, why would you bother? ;)

I tried the Works location in the beaches last summer, it was OK, absolutely nothing special at all. I'm not surprised that the Beaches location is now long gone.

Besides, with Great Burger Kitchen just down Church, why would you bother? ;)

I had a great burger the first time I went to the GBK, a mediocre burger the second time, and a dry flavourless one the third time. Hasn't been a fourth time yet.

I try not to eat burgers too often (maybe once a month) but so far my favourite was at P & L Burger on Queen West, and I've always enjoyed the burgers at the Senator Diner, too.

I just can't bring myself to pay $15 for a burger at a place like The Works...I'm wondering what will take that spot on Danforth now...

I had a great burger the first time I went to the GBK, a mediocre burger the second time, and a dry flavourless one the third time. Hasn't been a fourth time yet.

I try not to eat burgers too often (maybe once a month) but so far my favourite was at P & L Burger on Queen West, and I've always enjoyed the burgers at the Senator Diner, too.

Ah. I've only been to GBK twice, so perhaps I should quit while I'm ahead.

Agreed on P&L, they're in the running for my favourite as well.

So, things are changing up at the Trump. While the hotel has maintained high marks on things like tripadvisor, the food and drink offerings have underwhelmed, so…

TRUMP INTERNATIONAL HOTEL & TOWER TORONTO® USHERS IN A NEW ERA OF BAY STREET CUISINE AND NIGHTLIFE
Canada's INK Entertainment and Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants Unveil Modern Elegance of "America" Restaurant and Newly Designed "The Calvin" Bar

TORONTO (August 1, 2014) – Toronto continues to build on its reputation as a world-class cuisine and entertainment destination this fall when a newly designed bar and upscale tower restaurant open at the acclaimed Trump International Hotel & Tower Toronto. America and The Calvin bar are the newest additions to Bay Street’s thriving social scene from Canadian lifestyle leaders INK Entertainment (inkentertainment.com) and Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants (oliverbonacini.com).

“Trump Toronto features an unmatched level of luxury and hospitality,” says INK Entertainment Founder and CEO Charles Khabouth. “America and The Calvin bar are testaments to the sophistication and buttoned-down business chic that the hotel currently offers.”

America: Bold, Big, Beautiful. Sophisticated Fine Dining Meets Sexy Supper Club
In collaboration with INK Entertainment and Oliver & Bonacini Restaurants (O&B), global commercial designers II by IV Design has created a unique and modern 110-seat milieu for Executive Chef Anthony Walsh’s America, the 31st story contemporary dining establishment that remains true to the recognizable Trump modern-meets- luxury style brand.

America’s culinary team consists of O&B heavy hitters Bill Osborne, Chef de Cuisine of America, and Markus Bestig, Trump Toronto Executive Chef, under the direction of culinary titan and O&B Corporate Executive Chef Anthony Walsh.

“Elevated, lavish takes on classic regional American fare is what America is about,” says O&B co-founder and partner Chef Michael Bonacini. “Chef Anthony Walsh is rogue and unapologetic in his cooking – and we’re excited about presenting American fare that truly represents the confidence and boldness of its namesake, but in a lux and indulgent way. Like eating your way across Route 66 by way of private jet.”

Thursday through Saturday evenings, the bold and lush America will transform into a unique on top of the world supper club where patrons can indulge in an ultra-intimate, late-night venue offering a blend of high entertainment and fine dining - an experience that Khabouth has already successfully created at Toronto’s Ultra Supper Club and Ivory. The first of its kind in the financial district, the America experience is a sophisticated blend of late night cocktails, classic small plate dishes and live music.

The Calvin: Intimately bold and stylishly lux
The 2,000 square-foot The Calvin bar provides entry to the luxury hotel property from a new Bay Street entrance. An alluring and sophisticated after-work entertainment hub, The Calvin bar offers crafted signature cocktails, as well as a varied selection of classic drinks. The re-designed extended lounge wraps around the main floor lobby to integrate the social vibrancy of the bar, its music and furnishings with the opulence and hospitality of the hotel foyer. Financiers, socialites, and tourists alike will fall in love with the seductive space, while indulging in a highly curated menu of signature craft cocktails, along with a varied selection of classic drinks.

Since opening in 2012, Trump Toronto is one of only two Forbes Travel Guide, Five-star luxury hotels in the city and is ranked the #1 Toronto hotel on Trip Advisor. With the integration of America and The Calvin bar, the hotel will continue to lead by example as Toronto’s purveyor of exemplary and engaging service in a new relaxed atmosphere. The ultimate Toronto gathering place, Trump Toronto will officially debut America and The Calvin bar this fall.

The Calvin Bar:
CalvinBar960.jpg

Attachments

• CalvinBar960.jpg
    CalvinBar960.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 990
Tim Hortons on Jarvis, just south of the Esplanade, looks like it's just about ready to open. The design of the space is quite nice for a Tims.

Tim's is doing much better design-wise than they used to. They're almost inviting now :)

Tim Hortons on Jarvis, just south of the Esplanade, looks like it's just about ready to open. The design of the space is quite nice for a Tims.
Yes, it has a patio too that was being power-washed today. The Pizza Hut just adjacent is also moving along quite well. The problem with Tims is that their food gets worse and worse.

America Supper Club? Let me guess the menu will be full of overpriced steaks and burgers. ;) I'm not surprised STOCK didn't last. Formal stuffy fine dining doesn't work in Toronto. Daniel Boulud did the right thing sticking his formal restaurant in Montreal and his more casual bistro in Toronto at the Four Seasons.

I ate at STOCK once. I wasn't blown away by the food. For those prices i was expecting more.

Maggie's on Charles, east of Yonge is gone. We went by today, intending to have brunch, but it was closed and there was a note on the window. Not sure what it said, as the gate was locked, but it looked like an unpaid lease sign. We ended up going across the street to Wish.

Fisherman's Wharf from 69 Richmond St. W. is either moving or opening a second location at Church and Richmond in the old Florentine Court location.

Maggie's on Charles, east of Yonge is gone. We went by today, intending to have brunch, but it was closed and there was a note on the window. Not sure what it said, as the gate was locked, but it looked like an unpaid lease sign. We ended up going across the street to Wish.

Aw, that's too bad. Maggie's was a pretty good cheap brunch option.

Back