News   Apr 23, 2024
 168     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 908     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 294     0 

Transit Fantasy Maps

Thanks! I emphasized connectivity by designing a smaller number of large hubs than a large number of small hubs, to minimize the much dreaded transfers. I avoided alienating the suburbs by giving them their fair share of BRT lines, feeding into the LRT, subways, and GO.

I'm thinking of adding an "express LRT" line from Square One to Unionville GO via Bramalea, York U, and RHC to replace GO's current Hwy 407 bus service. Thoughts?

Personally, I think BRT for that route would be more appropriate, because then local routes could use the Transitway for part of their trip. Getting from Square One to Bramalea may be a bit difficult though, but the rest of it is definitely doable.

Thanks! I emphasized connectivity by designing a smaller number of large hubs than a large number of small hubs, to minimize the much dreaded transfers. I avoided alienating the suburbs by giving them their fair share of BRT lines, feeding into the LRT, subways, and GO.

I'm thinking of adding an "express LRT" line from Square One to Unionville GO via Bramalea, York U, and RHC to replace GO's current Hwy 407 bus service. Thoughts?

Personally, I think BRT for that route would be more appropriate, because then local routes could use the Transitway for part of their trip. Getting from Square One to Bramalea may be a bit difficult though, but the rest of it is definitely doable.
I mostly agreed with gweed, except dedicated lanes would be needed, but it would work if it did. That is a very good idea buy the way, you could connect the Langstaff, the promanade, Vaughan Mills Bramela City Centre, Shoppers World Brampton and Square One together.

I mostly agreed with gweed, except dedicated lanes would be needed, but it would work if it did. That is a very good idea buy the way, you could connect the Langstaff, the promanade, Vaughan Mills Bramela City Centre, Shoppers World Brampton and Square One together.

I was originally envisioning a right of way along the medians of Hwy 410 and Hwy 407, tracing the route of GO's 407 West and East buses and sharing roughly the same stops. A new station could be added at 407 and Islington, where there could be a connection to a Bolton GO line (if Metrolinx ever gets around to doing that). My idea is that the "express LRT" would connect regional transit hubs such as Square One, RHC, and Unionville quickly and act as an alternative for crosstown commuters who don't want to sit in traffic on the 401 nor spend half their income on tolls for the 407.

I was originally envisioning a right of way along the medians of Hwy 410 and Hwy 407, tracing the route of GO's 407 West and East buses and sharing roughly the same stops. A new station could be added at 407 and Islington, where there could be a connection to a Bolton GO line (if Metrolinx ever gets around to doing that). My idea is that the "express LRT" would connect regional transit hubs such as Square One, RHC, and Unionville quickly and act as an alternative for crosstown commuters who don't want to sit in traffic on the 401 nor spend half their income on tolls for the 407.
That's great! I would add something should maybe be done on Major Mackenzie as well, that road is very very busy during the rush hours.

Interesting idea. Although I don't think you'd need it to be in-median on the 407, as I believe the ROW is wide enough to accommodate a Transitway parallel to the highway, hence why the 407 Station on the Spadina extension is just south of the highway, in order to connect with the future Transitway.

So I decided to create a modified version of the map the INAT map I made about a month ago (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/INAT GTA v4.jpg if you want to have a look at it). I made some display changes to it, as well as a few transit changes, but by and large it's pretty similar.

GTA%20System%20Map%20v5.jpg

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43869799/GTA System Map v5.jpg)

The biggest display change that I made to it was to ditch the 1x1 size in favour of a 2x1 size, which I think makes it easier to bring some sense of geographic accuracy into the map. The other change that I made is that I took a page from Boston's transit map, and displayed at-grade LRT/BRT stations as smaller dots only, instead of the larger dots with labels. This reduces the clutter substantially, and gives greater prominence to the grade-separated, primary rapid transit network.

Transit-wise, a few changes from the last map:

1) E31 now terminates at the 407 and Hurontario, instead of at Mt. Pleasant station. By doing this, it gives southern Brampton and northern Mississauga another GO REX option, instead of having to go up to the E4 or down to the E2/E21.

2) Pushed the E11 back to Oakville from Clarkson. Port Credit would make more sense as a terminus point from a network POV, but due to the site constraints, it would be hard to fit all of the required infrastructure into that site. Clarskson and Oakville is a much larger sites, but Oakville has the advantage of having the VIA connection (which may disappear under HSR), but that's also where it makes sense to place a station for the SOGO R1 and R2 trains, so having the E11 terminus in the same spot just makes sense.

3) Showed the Spadina and St. Clair LRTs on the map, since there isn't much difference between those routes and the proposed East Bayfront LRT, which I've shown on previous maps too.

4) Removed the Scarborough Subway because of redundancy. To boost service to STC, the E31 terminates there, while the E3 continues deeper into Scarborough and into northern Pickering. It could also potentially act as a rail connection to the Pickering Airport, if that ever ends up being built.

5) Because of the removal of the Scarborough Subway, the SELRT needed a connection to STC, which the L51 branch provides.

6) Eglinton LRT (L3) continues into Scarborough along the SMLRT alignment.

7) Removed the Yonge Subway extension because, like the Bloor-Danforth extension, I think it becomes redundant with 2 GO REX lines going to essentially the same place, more efficiently duplicating the same function. The North Yonge BRT runs from Newmarket to Finch now.

8) Woodbridge is now getting an E Line instead of an R Line, to balance it out and have 4 E lines using the DRL tunnel.

Thoughts?

^ beautiful map as usual gweed. I like that Eglinton continues east & north into Scarborough

Thanks! Yeah I think that the solution that I've shown here is the best option for Scarborough. There shouldn't be much of a cost difference between building the LRT option and building the GO REX option on the SRT corridor, and that would provide more than enough capacity for Scarborough. Whatever is left can go to helping building the Eglinton East LRT extension along Eglinton, Kingston Rd, and Morningside. The two LRTs (Eglinton/Morningside and Sheppard East) provide a good local rapid transit option through Scarborough, with the GO REX providing the express option into and out of Scarborough.

only major disagreement is with the Yonge extension, but otherwise great. L2 is probably better off along Dundas IMO as well, somehow. The tunneled portion in front of City hall is rather pointless, that stretch of street moves pretty quickly no matter the time of day. (at least from University to Bay)

Last edited:
Thanks! Yeah I think that the solution that I've shown here is the best option for Scarborough. There shouldn't be much of a cost difference between building the LRT option and building the GO REX option on the SRT corridor, and that would provide more than enough capacity for Scarborough. Whatever is left can go to helping building the Eglinton East LRT extension along Eglinton, Kingston Rd, and Morningside. The two LRTs (Eglinton/Morningside and Sheppard East) provide a good local rapid transit option through Scarborough, with the GO REX providing the express option into and out of Scarborough.

Gweed on the go georgetown line the arl , b1, b12, e31, e3 the Kipling stop seems to have been moved to islington. Is there a reason for this. I selfishly advocate for the kipling and rexdale stop since my wife works at that intersection. What's the reason for the move?

only major disagreement is with the Yonge extension, but otherwise great.

I think the Yonge extension will eventually be needed, but I think the combination of the 2 GO REX lines and the BRT along Yonge is sufficient for a while yet. The Yonge line is a pretty expensive project, money which I think could be used on other projects in northern Toronto and in York Region (like the 407 Transitway).

L2 is probably better off along Dundas IMO as well, somehow.

You mean continuing it along Dundas? That could be an eventual possibility, but I think having the Dundas line feed into Honeydale, which is a much larger hub, makes more sense.

The tunneled portion in front of City hall is rather pointless, that stretch of street moves pretty quickly no matter the time of day. (at least from University to Bay)

The main reason for that was for easier connection to the two subway stations. I also want to see the surface sections of the Queen LRT turned into pedestrian/cyclist/transit only sections of street. That wouldn't be possible for the section of Queen from Simcoe to about Church, because of the number of access points to the street (large parking garages, etc). So those two factors combined makes a tunnelled central section the way to go IMO.

I appreciate the questions!

Gweed on the go georgetown line the arl , b1, b12, e31, e3 the Kipling stop seems to have been moved to islington. Is there a reason for this. I selfishly advocate for the kipling and rexdale stop since my wife works at that intersection. What's the reason for the move?

Yup. The reason I decided to move it is, with the addition of the Highway 27 station (which would become the main transfer point for people not already on the E3 to get to the airport), it puts it too close to Kipling station. By moving that station to Islington, it gives a little bit more separation between the two stations.

Last edited:
Here is the planned Etobicoke LRT line from the 80s, according to this article.

What do the people of UrbanToronto think about the viability of this line back then and presently?

We already have planned links to Pearson via the ECLRT, the FWLRT and UPE. I do not think another rail connection is required.

We should take a page from Paris's book:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2014/07/21/the-value-of-fast-transit/

With 127 miles of metro lines and 72 new stations planned, the program will completely alter the landscape of this large metropolitan area, offering new circumferential connections around the city center, making it possible to travel between suburbs without having to pass through the city center.

c1baguF.png

We should take a page from Paris's book:

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2014/07/21/the-value-of-fast-transit/

With 127 miles of metro lines and 72 new stations planned, the program will completely alter the landscape of this large metropolitan area, offering new circumferential connections around the city center, making it possible to travel between suburbs without having to pass through the city center.

c1baguF.png
That's what eglinton is for right?

Back