Toronto Aura at College Park | 271.87m | 78s | Canderel | Graziani + Corazza

Credit to ‏@GrinToronto from Twitter:
Blv4cP5CIAIL8cG.jpg:large

It doesn't work even slightly. The unevenly spaced balconies are not a design feature, they're a lack-of-design flaw, tacked on to inelegant orthogonal volumes which overwhelm the more graceful upper portion, which should have dominated. When the extra 3 storeys were added, they should have been added to the upper tower.

I'm reserving final judgement until I see it in person from several angles, but the uneven balconies seemed to work in the photo above my post.

^ no I was talking about the glass on the upper half. it gives an uneven shape to the upper half.

Yes - the picture has been compressed to fit on the board here

Nice shots, great vantage point! Wow, look at Hullmark cracking the horizon in the distance! There are few streets anywhere in the world with so much development spread out over such a long distance.

Nice shots, great vantage point! Wow, look at Hullmark cracking the horizon in the distance! There are few streets anywhere in the world with so much development spread out over such a long distance.

Yeah I'm completely agree, love that shot (taken from the FCP I guess). Just imagine the gap between Yorkville and NYCC filled with mid-rises.

Every picture of this building reinforces my belief that there should have been more of the curtainwall part. I know balconies are a good sell but still, with the way that section was executed the tower would have looked a lot better with more of the upper part.

Agreed. As it climbed it emerged from its boxy confines, became more elegant and pure. But the effect on the whole is jarring.

Excellent vantage point! Looks like a VERY high floor of FCP if not the top! I've said Aura looks best from the South, but the weird thing about the design is, it tends to look different from no matter where you are standing. For example in that pic, Aura looks pretty lopsided and the curved portion looks its widest. the boxy sections that support bulkiness of upper half of the tower are barely visible.
Whereas from South on Yonge and from NPS, it looks quite different and a lot more balanced. weird.

Back