News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 798     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Transit Fantasy Maps

^From what I understand the Queen streetcar would have been underground through the central section and at-grade east & west of that, like Boston or Philadelphia's streetcar-subways or like our future Eglinton line.

It would clearly be better than the current situation since it would be able to move faster through the core.

Speaking of transit history though, in 6 days it'll be the 60th anniversary of the Yonge Subway opening between Eglinton and Union!

Not exactly my fantasy map, but I think this 1944 TTC map could provide an interesting basis for a "local" service DRL.

TTCRapidTransit1944.jpg

Some parts of that don't make any sense nowadays (e.g. danforth streetcar). But it's easy to think of new branches as well (e.g. the Portlands LRT network).

The TTC proposal had a shallow tunnel/trench for most of that route, but converting Queen between Trinitry-Bellwoods and Leslieville could produce the same benefits for little cost.

If we wanted to improve service within downtown, and from the shoulder areas, this type of approach would probably be better than building a traditional metro on any particular corridor.
Some of the turns are quite tight.

Not exactly my fantasy map, but I think this 1944 TTC map could provide an interesting basis for a "local" service DRL.

TTCRapidTransit1944.jpg

Some parts of that don't make any sense nowadays (e.g. danforth streetcar). But it's easy to think of new branches as well (e.g. the Portlands LRT network).

The TTC proposal had a shallow tunnel/trench for most of that route, but converting Queen between Trinitry-Bellwoods and Leslieville could produce the same benefits for little cost.

If we wanted to improve service within downtown, and from the shoulder areas, this type of approach would probably be better than building a traditional metro on any particular corridor.

D: Interesting 1944 Toronto proposed subway map...Good timing with the 60th Anniversary of the opening of the Yonge Subway from Union to Eglinton just days away (3/30)...LI MIKE

Trying my hand on a map for the National Capital Region; I'm not familiar with the area's current transit services, so some help and feedback towards my first draft is appreciated:

XtHtLPM.png

Trying my hand on a map for the National Capital Region; I'm not familiar with the area's current transit services, so some help and feedback towards my first draft is appreciated:

You may want to space out the stations in the central core so that there's no confusion as to what's what. I had to stare at the map for 10 seconds to figure out that Lyon was actually two stations east of Bayview (also confusingly placed) on your map. Same with the placement of Hurdman. Try a darker turquoise for the O-train line. I can barely read "Airport-Rail" in the Ottawa Airport bubble. Also, what's "Pimisi" station? Aren't all these station names on the Confederation Line already set in stone?

Finally - and this is actually their flaw, not your's - there shouldn't be a station named "Confederation" that's not on the Confederation line and not near anything that officially bears the name "Confederation" (eg. Confederation Park). Somebody should tell OC Transpo to get that renamed.

Other than that, I liked the general idea behind your map and thought it was a pretty clean design.

XtHtLPM.png

Interesting. I'm curious as to why you included extensions of the O-Train to the airport and to Gatineau (neither of which are in the Phase II plan), but didn't include the O-Train extension to Bowesville and Riverside South, or the Western LRT extension to Baseline, or the LRT extension to Bayshore, or the LRT extension to Orleans, or the Baseline BRT, all of which are included in the Phase II plan.

Also, I'm not exactly sure how the Carling LRT/BRT is going to get to Lees Station, as Carling ends at Bronson. Also, there's the 94 route which goes down Woodroffe and will eventually connect to Riverside South when the Strandherd-Armstrong Bridge opens later this year. That should probably be included on the map as well (the eastern branch of the 94 along Innes is shown on your map).

I do like the design of the map though, very clear and easy to read (although I would take the italics off the BRT names, personally).

Also, what's "Pimisi" station? Aren't all these station names on the Confederation Line already set in stone?

Pimisi is actually the official name. It was chosen late last year. It's the Algonquin name for the area in and around LeBreton Flats. Actually, I believe it's the Algonquin name for Victoria Island.

I definitely like the style. I agree with earlier comments regarding legibility of the downtown stations.

One change I'd make would be to include the western LRT extension to Bayshore shopping centre. A western extension isn't far off, given just how horrible a transfer at Tunney's pasture would be to keep up.

I definitely like the style. I agree with earlier comments regarding legibility of the downtown stations.

One change I'd make would be to include the western LRT extension to Bayshore shopping centre. A western extension isn't far off, given just how horrible a transfer at Tunney's pasture would be to keep up.

It's well into being studied. I believe the Richmond Underground (as it's being called) is due to go into EA shortly: http://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/publi...underground-identified-top-western-rail-route

And just to clarify, the extension to Bayshore is a separate but related plan. The next extension on the books is from Tunney's to Baseline. In fact, it's quite possible that construction could be underway on that extension before the Blair-Tunney's part of the Confederation Line even opens.

Thanks to all for the advice, it's greatly appreciated. I have taken some of the changes into account, so here's V2:

KinP4El.png

Coloured lines indicate LRT, thick gray lines with denoted stations are BRT, and thin lines are major arterial bus routes.

Back