News   Apr 25, 2024
 326     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

Gerrard Street east of Yonge evolved as an upper-end residential neighbourhood, across the street from one of Toronto's most significant 19thC institutions, the Normal and Model Schools in St. James Square, now the site of the main campus of Ryerson University. Two of the more interesting Victorian buildings on the north side of Gerrard were St. James Square Presbyterian Church and the Ontario College of Pharmacy. St. James was probably demolished in the 1960's and is now the site of the 1970's high-rise 40 Gerrard (designed by Tampold and Wells Architects) and the Pharmacy Building still exists (sans the Victorian façade) behind a sober white moderne façade.

1924:

Drawing of the church and college (reversed image for some reason) from Robertson's Landmarks of Toronto

View of the Church and College from the grounds of the Model School:

1956:

Attachments

• St_James_Sq_Church,_Toronto.jpg
    St_James_Sq_Church,_Toronto.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:
That was the North East Drive In which was on Sheppard about a half mile west of Victoria Park & operated until about 1983/4.

Wow, I didn't realize it lasted that long. I commissioned the generators in the two atria towers in 1986..... A lifetime ago...
Seems like the stretch west toward the dvp on the south side is losing all the original buildings to new condo's. The old gm dealer closed during the gm meltdown a few years ago and that triggered the end of that area as we knew it.

Wow! Nice pictures!
Hello Everyone!

My name is Lahen and I am new to this panel. I like to discuss with different peoples and found this forum very rare. I just want to say thanks to the Admin for accepting me here. I hope to spend a good time with all of you. Thank you.

Welcome back Mustapha! In regards to the Westwood Theatre, I remember seeing Bedknobs and Broomsticks there in original release (1971). It was quite a treat to have a family outing to the theatre back then.

Paul

Anyone else remember the 7-27 drive-in or the 400 drive-in? How about the 5 drive-in for the west-enders like me?

Paul

The Westwood is now history; flattened.

Then and Now Dundas looking W from Centre, c1914-ish.

Would you call that a 'Cow-catcher' on the front of the streetcar?

1188_zpsabeabb6d.jpg

Now. June 2013. The sign says: 'Istanbul non stop.' One for my bucketlist.

1189_zps0202220b.jpg

'Nerdsworld' a photography business on Bathurst street a few blocks north of Bloor never fails to charm me when I walk by their storefront.

Herewith they've posted some charming 'found' ['found' as in found inside a very old camera at an estate sale in Niagara Falls] stereo images of WWI France.

Don't forget to click on 'View our 3D digital rendering'.

http://anerdsworld.com/verascope-world-war-1/

DSCF0480.jpg

Hi,
Dropped in and registered because I am interested particularly in genealogy and also in urban photography. I was looking for pictures of old King Street West (113-115 to be precise) via Google and stumbled upon this forum and thread...delightful!

The reason I am replying to THIS particular post is because I jumped to the beginning of the thread and noticed these pictures. The two children (heads) in the store window are known as Max and Moritz, two extremely naughty comic book characters from one of the first comic books ever created (Max Und Moritz, 1865, by Wilhelm Busch). These characters also were the inspiration for the American comic strip (and movies), The Katzenjammer Kids.

Just a bit of trivia, but I thought you might be interested. Love the forum and threads so far. I don't live in Toronto (I did from 1984-1997, now live in Kitchener-Waterloo) but do visit there from time-to-time and, as I said, I am doing genealogical research, some of which pertains to Toronto from 1851 to 1880 or thereabouts.

Thanks for the photos and I hope to participate in a meaningful way going forward.

Cheers!

Welcome and Hello Hrothgar. :)

Back