87     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.9K     5 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 581     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"I don't recall the snake."
QUOTE railmus.

It was at the s/w corner of the building at the least during the early/mid 50's.

Regards,
J T

"I joined in January but have been lurking since then. I have been in the “Then and Now” thread for over three months, sometimes for three to four hours a night to get caught up.

I am amazed at the knowledge, resourcefulness and pure research skills you all demonstrate here.
I am so glad I found this site! Thank you all. It brings back fond memories of growing up in TO

I am a born and bred Torontonian. I was born at East General but my family quickly moved to the Junction area. I went to Annette Public School, then Humberside Collegiate, then U of T.
We lived on Aziel St. from 1950 to 1967 and I have very pleasant memories of walking to school on Annette Street (nice to see the Sunnybar is still there) and then along Humberside Ave. to HCI. We hated the St. Cecelia’s kids with a passion!

We played on the street till the lights came on during the week and Saturdays were usually biking to High Park (making forts) or riding across the city into Scarborough (we called it Scarberia!)
In the winter we took the TTC wherever we wished to go (no fears from our parents, they never knew how far afield we went!!)
We rode across the city on the Bloor line and when the subway opened well.... we were in heaven!
Centre Island was a great place to visit while listening to “Summer in the City’ by the ‘Lovin’ Spoonfull’ at full blast (early boom boxes!)

When we were out for a ride with my Dad, we would always stop at the “Rondun Tavern” on Roncesvalles where he had a beer or two (?) and we got a Tootsie Roll for sitting in the car and being “good” – would surely be frowned upon now!!

Any body got any pics of the Rondun or “Minnies Pool???? This was a private swimming pool open to the public just north of Bloor St, west of High Park Ave. in the Gothic, Quebec, Bloor, Parkview Gardens block (IIRC, it was the early 50's!) The pool was lost when the subway went through. The owner Minnie (?) would throw all the day’s change into the pool at the end of the day and all the kids would dive in for the money – pandemonium followed!!!

Again, “thanks for the memories” (and pics). I will continue to look in faithfully and will add a story once in a while of growing up in the best city in the world.

John Kanakos, now in London Ontario (but my Mom still lives in Etobicoke!))"

Your post brings back some memories. I also had the opportunity to go to Annette St. school and Humberside Collegiate, though I was there in the late '70s and early '80s. As for Sunny Bar, my great-uncle, Pete, owned the place up to his death around six years ago.

And, yes, the Bloor subway was a great way to escape boring Swansea for the bright lights of downtown!

Last edited:
Then and Now for April 17.

Then. 'Nine Jackes Avenue. c1910. Residence of E.R. Rolph, of the firm of Sproatt & Rolph, Architects.'

4989JackesAvec1910.jpg

Now. July 2011.

499.jpg

'The firm Sproatt and Rolph was responsible for numerous institutional, commercial and residential buildings in Toronto, including Hart House and the Memorial Tower at U of T (American Inst of Architects Gold Medal, 1926); Bishop Strachan School, Manufacturer's Life Building, Ontario Club and National Club.'

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCE&ArticleId=A0007631

Wasn't this also the address of Boy Scout Head Office for Ontario ( at least back in the 70's) I remember a lot of wood.

WHEW!!!

I joined in January but have been lurking since then. I have been in the “Then and Now” thread for over three months, sometimes for three to four hours a night to get caught up.

I am amazed at the knowledge, resourcefulness and pure research skills you all demonstrate here.
I am so glad I found this site! Thank you all. It brings back fond memories of growing up in TO

I am a born and bred Torontonian. I was born at East General but my family quickly moved to the Junction area. I went to Annette Public School, then Humberside Collegiate, then U of T.
We lived on Aziel St. from 1950 to 1967 and I have very pleasant memories of walking to school on Annette Street (nice to see the Sunnybar is still there) and then along Humberside Ave. to HCI. We hated the St. Cecelia’s kids with a passion!

We played on the street till the lights came on during the week and Saturdays were usually biking to High Park (making forts) or riding across the city into Scarborough (we called it Scarberia!)
In the winter we took the TTC wherever we wished to go (no fears from our parents, they never knew how far afield we went!!)
We rode across the city on the Bloor line and when the subway opened well.... we were in heaven!
Centre Island was a great place to visit while listening to “Summer in the City’ by the ‘Lovin’ Spoonfull’ at full blast (early boom boxes!)

When we were out for a ride with my Dad, we would always stop at the “Rondun Tavern” on Roncesvalles where he had a beer or two (?) and we got a Tootsie Roll for sitting in the car and being “good” – would surely be frowned upon now!!

Any body got any pics of the Rondun or “Minnies Pool???? This was a private swimming pool open to the public just north of Bloor St, west of High Park Ave. in the Gothic, Quebec, Bloor, Parkview Gardens block (IIRC, it was the early 50's!) The pool was lost when the subway went through. The owner Minnie (?) would throw all the day’s change into the pool at the end of the day and all the kids would dive in for the money – pandemonium followed!!!

Again, “thanks for the memories” (and pics). I will continue to look in faithfully and will add a story once in a while of growing up in the best city in the world.

John Kanakos, now in London Ontario (but my Mom still lives in Etobicoke!))

What an interesting 'bio', John. I'm game. :) Born at Grace Hospital (the one at Church and Bloor; it's still there). Raised in North Toronto on Albertus Avenue. Schools: John Fisher, Glenview and Northern Secondary. Then York. Nothing left of the haunts in any of my old neighbourhoods - restaurants, our church on Chestnut across the street from the Armoury and such hangouts all gone.

Eglinton Park was the closest place for balsa wood airplane flying and ball playing. The older folks called it Pears Park, pronounced 'Pierce'. Sledding in winter; although that's gone now - the hill that was used has been planted upon and the newish North Toronto Community Centre is partly built into the old hill.

We roamed the city as you did. CNE entrance - what was it 50 or 75 cents in the 60s? - we headed down and stayed the day even if we didn't have the money for games and rides. Going to the CNE several times during its run was normal for my crowd.

-Moose, still stuck in, and on, Toronto.

Then and Now for April 18.

Then. 106 Balsam Avenue c1910. Residence of W. F. Temple. Once again you'll all recognize the 'signature' look of these images by now - sourced by UT-er wwwebster, and as always, a UT exclusive. :)

503106BalsalmAvec1910.jpg

Now. August 2011. A couple of views for UT-ers today. I'm not going to get dogmatic about the correct angle; too much foliage in the way.

504.jpg

505.jpg

Welcome and thanks for these reminiscences. Somebody here will do this far better than me but I was intrigued by "Minnies Pool". Sure enough it seems to be the "Mineral Baths". So Minnie must have been named after the pool, not the other way round. :)

ahipkbathsyoungmenf1244_it2170.jpg

The pool was built on the grounds of Clandeboye, which is still standing:

gothic2.jpg

k10ery, this post takes us - me anyways - back to thecharioteer's link showing the row house survivor sandwiched between the two apartment houses in New York.

I've never heard of Clandeboye; it seems to be looked after well enough, and it survives without a significant piece of its past - the Mineral Baths. Your assumption that 'Minnie' was always the name of the manager of the Mineral Baths is an inspired one. :)

The house, as you see it, was condoed some time ago.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
^======== Born at East General as well. Been living East of Yonge all my Toronto life though, even if it was 3 or 4 blocks for most of it. West Toronto...Bloor is South of Dundas. I don't get it. CNE: I miss the Bulova Tower. Meeting place for lost kids.

k10ery, this post takes us - me anyways - back to thecharioteer's link showing the row house survivor sandwiched between the two apartment houses in New York.

I've never heard of Clandeboye; it seems to be looked after well enough, and it survives without a significant piece of its past - the Mineral Baths. Your assumption that 'Minnie' was always the name of the manager of the Mineral Baths is an inspired one. :)

Yes, and maybe its survival is all the more unlikely because in this case a developer actually got its hands on the property. Don't know who did the condoization. I hope they got a medal or something.

Then:

mccormickhigh-park.jpg

Now-ish:

32-gothic-20101.jpg

Personally, I'd kill for that porch.

The other thing I learned from the first picture is that everybody back in 1912 was pretty ripped. And the sanatorium was run by a promoter of vegetarianism, so I guess they did it all by eating "nut cutlets". :)

Hi All. I have followed this site with much interest and finally registered. First post, so here goes.
When I was young, I remember the Clandeboye house being visible from the subway as you left High Park Station. If you do a google earth (streetview) photo of Gothic Ave., is the last house next to the condo not the same building? Looking closely through the trees, I believe the yellow porch is visible.

"when was the Magic Castle "condoed"
QUOTE Earlscourt_Lad.

The "Magic Castle" was converted from a mixed-use industrial/artist lofts to a commercial/office setting

begun in '99 - '00, by Allied Canadian, now known as Allied Properties REIT.

Regards,
J T

Hi All. I have followed this site with much interest and finally registered. First post, so here goes.
When I was young, I remember the Clandeboye house being visible from the subway as you left High Park Station. If you do a google earth (streetview) photo of Gothic Ave., is the last house next to the condo not the same building? Looking closely through the trees, I believe the yellow porch is visible.

"...is the last house next to the condo not the same building? Looking closely through the trees, I believe the yellow porch is visible." It is in fact Clandeboye. What a useful tool Streetview is. A couple months ago there was a unit for sale there: http://www.thestar.com/living/realestate/article/1126074--house-of-the-week

Hello and welcome, Westdeaner.

Back