50     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 215     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.2K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should reacquaint yourself with it - the lion's share of the budget is occupied by Health, Education, Colleges and University, Social Services and Justice Services. Hardly stuff they would "soon dispense with".

AoD

Enough already.
Not enough. It's one of the worst crimes known to humanity. And there still seem to be people out there willing to turn a blind eye to Mayor Ford's bigotry. There's even a few ignorant people that seem to be unaware of how extremely bigoted he is. In the meantime we have people attacking other politicians for much lesser problems, but we ignore the elephant in the room.

You can't excuse this kind of thing, but Ford went to the polls with his scandals well-publicized. A plurality of voters were cool with endorsing a man who once told a woman at a hockey game that she should be raped and then shot.

Ford's issues will come back into the light in a couple of months, when he once again will come up with a litany of excuses for why he refuses to attend any Pride Week events.

hawc:

I believe the width of the tunnel can handle subways cars - the stations aren't long enough to do so however, and extending the platform would cost a fortune (I have doubts about the feasibility of doing so even if the money is available, considering structural elements at both ends). In any case, a buried LRT has more than enough capacity, and it'd be cheaper and more beneficial to build a new line when the day comes.

AoD
Why not at least tunnel it longer so that in the future its done. I mean the boring machines will be down there anyways tunneling

Why not at least tunnel it longer so that in the future its done. I mean the boring machines will be down there anyways tunneling
Because the cost of tunnelling, is directly related to the distance being tunnelled. It's not like you just get a machine down there, and get it go. What about the segments? What about all the geotechnical testing and design you do before you tunnel? The soils under the city aren't homogeneous and isotropic.

You can't excuse this kind of thing, but Ford went to the polls with his scandals well-publicized. A plurality of voters were cool with endorsing a man who once told a woman at a hockey game that she should be raped and then shot.

I doubt anywhere near a plurality of voters were aware of even 25% of the skeletons in Ford's see-through closet. I think the correct assertion is: "a plurality of voters chose to remain ignorant as to whether the man they were endorsing once told a woman... etc." You could repeat the same formulation regarding: Ford's "views" about homosexuals, "orientals", and who knows who else; the criminal aspects of his past; the nonsensicality of his transit "plan"; his substance abuse problem(s); his proclivity to threaten (and sometimes use) violence to solve disputes, both domestically and in his wider interactions.

Also, Ford Nation discounts the truth of even the most factual attacks on Ford, and instead regard those attacks as proof of the righteousness of Ford's cause. Such people appear to make up about 30% of the voting public in Toronto. Certainly this segment is fed by The Sun and CFRB support for the general mendacity of Ford's "platform", but it is disturbingly high.

Was he? At least he wasn't a bigot - the worse of all crimes. This thread is about Rob Ford's (the incompetent, alcoholic, bigot) Toronto. Let's stay on subject please.

Bigot is the worst of all crimes? In what demented universe?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not enough. It's one of the worst crimes known to humanity. And there still seem to be people out there willing to turn a blind eye to Mayor Ford's bigotry. There's even a few ignorant people that seem to be unaware of how extremely bigoted he is. In the meantime we have people attacking other politicians for much lesser problems, but we ignore the elephant in the room.

My parents are not big fans of pride either. Not everyone has to like everything. I don't every remeber if Ford said he hated gays.

I was sure I read that Toronto's transit was the most poorly-funded (by public funds) of any major transit system in North America? Surely, the province and the feds owe Toronto more money for this?

It is. Toronto needs to pay taxes rich for subways. We only get 40 cents of every dollar or something sad like that.

Bigot is the worst of all crimes? In what demented universe?
The reason is, is that it's a systemic cause ... which makes it far worse than any individual crime.

Can you imagine a more vile human being than one who chooses to discriminate against people based on something as innocuous their sexual orientation?

Last edited:
nfitz:

Know your lingo if you want to talk about these things - it's sexual orientation, not "preference". And can we not drag out this bigot thing over and over again, it's getting rather stale.

AoD

I don't every remeber if Ford said he hated gays.

Bigotry is not about "hating"...it's about ignorance. And they don't come more ignorant than Rob Ford. Ford does not embrace things beyond his little bubble. In fact, he is terrified by them. Which is why he ignores his duty as mayor, and actually pretends it doesn't exist.

Ford believes homosexuality is "wrong" in the wonky manner lots of people do....he isn't militant against them....he just would rather not deal with it. That's why he completely ignored all Pride functions as if it didn't exist, despite the media circus surrounding it. Lastman was the same way, but put his personal uneasiness aside and made an effort (and I doubt he changed his personal feelings on homosexuality)....something Ford would never do.

It's unbelievable that so many people can ignore the level of despicable Ford is. I thought his level of stupid was so obvious to preclude people even taking him seriously. It seems his physical appearance (somewhat irrelevant) is what people notice most.

The whole thing is just surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back