Toronto RBC WaterPark Place III | 140.2m | 30s | Oxford Properties | WZMH

There are so many transportation issues in this city calling out for funds, we will never find the money to tear the Gardiner down. Might as well mitigate the experience of being under it, and get on with other things.

I wonder how wide that pedestrian bridge will be. It looks like it may become something of a trunk route. Will they connect other buildings to it?

There are so many transportation issues in this city calling out for funds, we will never find the money to tear the Gardiner down. Might as well mitigate the experience of being under it, and get on with other things.

In the interim, that's the most logical thing to do. However, we should keep it on the "to do list" in long term planning because you never know when money may become available. Rebuilding the structure becomes necessary every few decades, and at one point we'll get it over with.

Given the economic realities at the city, provincial and federal levels, I don't think we will see money for the removal of the Gardiner for many decades. Even if the money necessary was available, I'd prefer to see it invested in downtown transit. At this point in time, it would be much more interesting to see creative uses for the spaces underneath the Gardiner. Projects like RBC WaterPark Place just might actually help to serve such development.

Don't be surprised when the city planning department requires the new buildings being constructed along the Gardiner to remove the portion of the off ramp adjoining their properties. Instead of an expensive art installation they my be involved in deconstruction of the ramps, and new the construction of the down ramp exiting on Lower Simcoe.

It's funny I've always thought that too. Everyone hates the Gardiner, but honestly if you walk south on any street to the lake the bigger psychological and physical barrier is the long dark tunnels under the rail tracks. Not the short jaunt under the Gardinder. I'm not anti rail and I'm not proposing ripping up tracks, I just think it's funny that everyone harps on the Gardiner when the bigger barrier is definitely the rail corridor

I realize it may be hard to tell when you're zipping by in your car but the Lake Shore/Gardiner combo is far worse. When you have to wait several minutes for the lights to cycle and dodge traffic from the ramps just to cross, there can be no comparison.

I realize it may be hard to tell when you're zipping by in your car but the Lake Shore/Gardiner combo is far worse. When you have to wait several minutes for the lights to cycle and dodge traffic from the ramps just to cross, there can be no comparison.

Agreed. The Gardiner is a horrible barrier and it would do wonders for the city if it was taken down.

Given the economic realities at the city, provincial and federal levels, I don't think we will see money for the removal of the Gardiner for many decades. Even if the money necessary was available, I'd prefer to see it invested in downtown transit. At this point in time, it would be much more interesting to see creative uses for the spaces underneath the Gardiner. Projects like RBC WaterPark Place just might actually help to serve such development.

Exactly. We need billions of bucks for rapid transit improvements, and that's where large sums of transportation tax dollars should be spent, not on a First World Problem like a making a short walk more pleasant. Nothing wrong with spending a little money to make a short walk more pleasant though, and the Plus 15 PATH stretch down to RBC WPP and adjacent developments is about the right amount of money to spend on such things.

Michael62: I would be very surprised if any of the developments along the York/Bay/Yonge off ramps were given any responsibility for taking down those ramps, directly, or by way of funding. I think that's strictly a cost that will be borne by City of Toronto taxpayers in general. I do hope that all of the development coming in this area spurs on the replacement of those ramps however!

Shoring rigs on site, hoarding work continues..

IMG00915-20111217-1156.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00915-20111217-1156.jpg
    IMG00915-20111217-1156.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 323
I think the window to take down the Gardiner has passed. Now Lake Shore is being heavily redeveloped, with all of the new buildings putting their services on their Lake Shore sides. The result is that even if the elevated highway gets torn down the resulting pedestrian experience would be akin to walking along a really wide alleyway.

The pedestrian overpass through here really isn't a bad idea for the context, and maybe the city should be making plans to add another couple somewhere along that stretch. It isn't ideal, but it is good for what we have to work with.

I think the window to take down the Gardiner has passed. Now Lake Shore is being heavily redeveloped, with all of the new buildings putting their services on their Lake Shore sides. The result is that even if the elevated highway gets torn down the resulting pedestrian experience would be akin to walking along a really wide alleyway.

I don't know, throw a nicely treed median down the middle of Lakeshore and it could be the closest thing we'll ever have to Michigan Avenue. :)

I think the window to take down the Gardiner has passed. Now Lake Shore is being heavily redeveloped, with all of the new buildings putting their services on their Lake Shore sides.
The more voters down there the more likely it will come down.

While it might not get torn down, it will require quite a bit of work to keep the Gardiner standing in the next 30 years. Time to plan for a replacement regardless of what form it will take.

AoD

Interesting post by AndrewJM3D over at SSC....apparently this height increase is separate from the one at 100 Adelaide....

"From a good source at Oxford Properties - 85 Harbour Street (WaterPark Place III) will now be 53 floors and 900,000 sq/ft.

Also Oxford Properties will be erecting a huge arch at the foot of John at front that will be a sort of media tower that Ripley and other businesses south of the tracks will use to advertise on."

Last edited:
It can't happen without rezoning - the existing ZBL only allow for 30 or so floors. A change this massive won't qualify as "minor variance".

AoD

Back