News   Mar 28, 2024
 292     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 258     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 293     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

- I'm trying to map out where Bayview would be, and how the current construction for the Hydro project would demonstrate the remnants of Pottery Road North. If it runs up to the Loblaws/Drug Store parking lot, where is it demonstrated in this picture? It seems it runs west towards Bayview Heights, whereas my understanding is that the run along the north side of the main line went east.
well spotted :)

in the 1942 aerial photo, pottery road does indeed run westwards from the CP tracks, up the hill to the end of (now) bayview heights

this was the "old old" portion of the top end, and it was replaced shortly afterwards (but well before the late 1950s when the bayview extension was constructed) with the section that runs northwards towards the loblaws (the "new old" section)

yes, the south end of pottery road used to empty out on hillside drive, pretty much where the charles sauriol parkette is today

charles-sauriol-parkette.jpg

if you walk to the back of the parkette, behind the trees and bushes in this picture, you can clearly see the old pottery road roadbed going down the hill

this portion was too steep so the road was diverted south to join broadview at mortimer instead

well spotted :)

in the 1942 aerial photo, pottery road does indeed run westwards from the CP tracks, up the hill to the end of (now) bayview heights

this was the "old old" portion of the top end, and it was replaced shortly afterwards (but well before the late 1950s when the bayview extension was constructed) with the section that runs northwards towards the loblaws (the "new old" section)

yes, the south end of pottery road used to empty out on hillside drive, pretty much where the charles sauriol parkette is today

charles-sauriol-parkette.jpg

if you walk to the back of the parkette, behind the trees and bushes in this picture, you can clearly see the old pottery road roadbed going down the hill

this portion was too steep so the road was diverted south to join broadview at mortimer instead

OK, was thinking how steep that would have been. Thanks for the clarification. I was confused with all the references. New old, old old. All around that area, the place always felt different to me. Rather "English".

Here's some 'north at the top' shots of the north and south ends of Pottery Road. They come from the Valley Lands Collection dated Apr 3, 1942

http://www.toronto.ca/archives/maps/s97_f13.htm

North - easy to spot Governor's Bridge area
<snip>

South - interesting to see the road to the Brickworks
<snip>

What's interesting from these pics is that the Don was quite windy, and obviously flooded its banks this high up. With the recent widening of the rail bridge north of Eastern Avenue underneath, all that remains is the 90° turn below Lake Shore to fix the flooding issue. But to think it was flooding all the way past Todmorden is just crazy. No wonder they rebuilt the river. Would they have been using the lower part of the Don for transport at this time? I mean, boats. By this time, Jillies (I forget its original name) would have been built with what I'm assuming is that famous Toronto red brick. Some of the pieces in that building are massive, and not just the typical brick size we know. Just as an aside, I am no fan of the London-area yellow brick. I have been told yellow brick was used as ballast on ships from England.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jfitzg/sets/72157622985499678/detail/

The Brickworks pit is not half the size it was when they were done with it. And I guess Todmorden wanted to preserve the river's past through there. The last one was pretty old, and needed something...but a rebuild for a bridge that isn't needed? Heh. It's neat to see all the footpaths, as I'm assuming they aren't TTC routes.

Wow, that is a fantastic picture. It's confusing trying to map things out though. I always wondered why there was a lower dip in the hill on the west side of Bayview at Pottery. I didn't know it continued up the west side. I'd like to walk that some day. Some things I noticed from this picture:

- Thorncliffe Avenue, where my first house is/was, was built. I wonder what the Don Valley looked like back then from that lookout perspective. This was before the re-routing of the river for the DVP.

Did a new hydro service at a house on Thorncliff, probably 12 years ago. It was a funky house before the renos! Right near the south curve of the road.

Last edited:
Did a new hydro service at a house on Thorncliff, probably 12 years ago. It was a funky house before the renos! Right near the south curve of the road.

I was at 42, which is on the east side, 5 houses down from Chester Hill. After we sold it and moved to Moore Park, a couple of owners down the line put a full second storey on it. I have dreams to this day that I am back in that house.

This was the home of John G. Diefenbaker for a year or so before he moved out west.

I would like to do a now photo of this house 366-68 Don Mills Road in 1906 or 1910. As we all know Don Mills Road became Broadview and O'connor. Question is where is this house if it still exist's?

JohnGDeifenbaker.jpg

http://canada.virtual.museum/pm.php?id=story_line&lg=Francais&fl=0&ex=228&sl=4305&pos=1

According to the 1913 Goads insurance map, 366-68 Don Mills should be on the west side of Don Mills (Broadview), just south of Woodville. But there's no building shown on the map. Interestingly, 386-88 is present, and is a joined house. I wonder if there's a typo in the caption. Anyone have a directory of the area for the date in question?

As per the 1924 Goads map, 366-68 Don Mills should be about 1250 Broadview. (If it is a typo, we're after 1278-80 Broadview)

Thanks for all the info HamiltonTransitHistory . I would agree that it is probably 386-88. If so it would be just south of O'connor and long gone. I did the google street view tour up and down Broadview with no luck.

there are a number of houses that look similar on broadview, specifically the west side, just north of Kintyre (between queen & dudas)

there are a number of houses that look similar on broadview, specifically the west side, just north of Kintyre (between queen & dudas)

These (attached) look similar to Dief's home, don't they?
That's No. 184 in the foreground and further south some have the curved bricks over the first-floor windows.

Attachments

• 184 Broadview.jpg
    184 Broadview.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 351

Back