News   Mar 28, 2024
 9     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 201     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Evocative Images of Lost Toronto

While searching for some construction pics, I came across these "Mad Men" ads from the Bloor station in 1962:

ads.jpg

ads2.jpg

ads3.jpg

ads4.jpg

ads5.jpg

And this subway ad (from the opening ride of the Bloor-Danforth line) in 1968 for Channel 6 (everyone of a "certain" age will know what network that was, just like they'd know Channels 2, 4, 7, 9 and 11):

ads6.jpg

Last edited:
More disconcerting (or reassuring) is how the "PLEASE DO NOT BLOCK DOORWAY" remains eternal.

^^ Pure awesomeness! Thanks for sharing those.
"Do Not Block Doorway" signs should be replaced with "Doors May Swing Open Mid-Ride".. that'll keep ppl from standing there (and it's not a lie)!

"That one seems prematurely "postmodern"."
QUOTE adma

HA! There as those of us (Dirty, rotten, no good, lowdown) smokers

who smoke EXPORT (Plain) due to the fact CAMEL PLAIN are banned

for purchase in Canada.

(Though never on TTC property.)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
We're looking N here at the NW corner of Yonge and Eglinton - the Woolworths was a fixture here for many decades until redevelopment about 1972. That's Starrett Avenue where the VW Beetle is parked - built over by the Yonge Eglinton Centre...

http://yongeeglintonsquarecoalition.../yonge-eglinton-centre-1967-site-plan-report/

You're right, of course, Mustapha (the Archives labelled them all as Bloor Station). Interesting document.

Some more Yonge/Eglinton shots (of Woolworth's and lost Starrett Street):

f1231_it1646.jpg

s0381_fl0086_id7551-2.jpg

s0648_fl0117_id0002.jpg

Late for work? (Speaking of signage, it seemed like there was a mini-Times Square thing going on at Y/E in the early 60's):

s0648_fl0137_id0003.jpg

Last edited:
And I've made reference to it before, but notice, in the last photo, *two* CIBCs in the same block--one on the corner, one on the far right (presumably one of them--the latter?--was a former Imperial Bank; they merged in 1961)

And I've made reference to it before, but notice, in the last photo, *two* CIBCs in the same block--one on the corner, one on the far right (presumably one of them--the latter?--was a former Imperial Bank; they merged in 1961)

Quite rightly. Similar to the rationalization of branches when Canada Trust merged with TD.

The SE corner of Y&E: an elegant building with great signage, almost the same height as the building itself:

bank17.jpg

And another view of the (now-abandoned) bus bays at the Eglinton station looking north:

PHOTO-TORONTO-TTC-BUSSTATIONATYONGEANDEGLINTON-NOTEELECTRICBUSES-c1960.jpg

Last edited:
The SE corner of Y&E: an elegant building with great signage, almost the same height as the building itself:

bank17.jpg

I'm really intrigued by how such rooftop bank signage became a phenomenon going into the 1960s (also cf. the TD at the NE corner in the earlier photo)--esp. since prior to that time, decorum seemed to dictate against such aggressive financial-services advertising/signage (instead, you had rooftop advertising for more profane stuff like food and automobile products).

Dunno where else CIBC roof signs of that scale existed in Toronto--though there were more modest versions, like atop the IOOF building at Yonge + College. (And I remember a few of those TD orb-in-a-flowerpot signs: Vic Park + O'Connor, Bloor & Jane, etc)

Back