yongealbertus.jpg

yongealbertus-1.jpg

1913 map (note: house is Lot 42 and there is no Duplex Avenue yet):

albertus1913.jpg

1924 (Duplex has arrived and the Yonge frontage has been built upon):

albertus1924.jpg

1950's map (Albertus is the first street on the south):

albertusmap.jpg

It's alright about the lack of women on the lawn. :)

So many details here to study.

Stan Muston used to have live ducklings at Easter in their window. Bought my date a corsage for the high school prom from there.

Stainton's hardware on that block was a humming place when I was a boy. Further up was Hopkins Cycle; father and son ran it together. The son would be in his 80s now.

The IODE Childrens Hospital lay abandoned until about 1970 when the land was developed.

In the 1950s map, the house on the NE corner of Duplex and Albertus - now gone, a 1870s looking thing - just above the '536.0' on the map was owned by the man who ran the Morley Bedford funeral home on Eglinton west of Yonge.

The Shell station... a police chase around 1970 ended in a shootout there at night, behind the station. The suspect died.

Thank you thecharioteer.

Then and Now for Sep 23.

Then. 396 College. c1913. 'Arthur W. Miles' new undertaking parlors.' Thank you wwwebster. Hey, where's our 'Undertaker'/a.k.a. J T Cunningham? :)

187396Collegec1913.jpg

Now. June 2011.

188.jpg

My Malvern contributions are from my sisters photo's in '73 and '75 from 6 Berner Trail. The 1st phase of Malvern was by a lottery based on your income. The 1st photo is from her front yard looking west to Washburn Way. Nothing but farmland from there to Markham Road except the 2 small streets from the original Malvern in the N/E section of Markham and Sheppard.

6BernerTrail1973-2010LOOKINGWEST2 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Same scene 1975.

6BernerTrail1975-2010LOOKINGWEST by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Once countryside, now business community.

TNHastingsFarm.jpg

The history of Malvern began in 1856, when the Malvern Post Office was opened in David Brown's general store, which stood at the south-east corner of Finch Avenue and Markham Road. This post office was named after a resort town in England. A year after the post office was opened, Senator David Reesor — formerly of Markham Village — began selling "Village Lots" in Malvern. Reesor trumpeted Malvern as the future "Capital of Scarborough," anticipating that the Grand Trunk Railway would extend a branch line through here. Unfortunately, when the Grand Trunk Railway began service to this area in 1871, it bypassed Malvern in favour of the neighbouring village of Agincourt. The village centre and post office had by that time moved south to the corner of today's Sheppard Avenue and Markham Road.[6] The Malvern Primitive Methodist Church on the east side of Markham Road north of Sheppard disappeared in the 1970s, but the graves remain today in the care of the Toronto United Church Council.

While Malvern never did become a prosperous railway centre, it flourished as a farming community for over one hundred years. In the late 1950s, the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation expropriated Malvern's farms to build a "model community" of affordable homes. The first residents of this modern day Malvern community moved into their homes in 1972.

It's alright about the lack of women on the lawn. :)

So many details here to study.

Stan Muston used to have live ducklings at Easter in their window. Bought my date a corsage for the high school prom from there.

Stainton's hardware on that block was a humming place when I was a boy. Further up was Hopkins Cycle; father and son ran it together. The son would be in his 80s now.

The IODE Childrens Hospital lay abandoned until about 1970 when the land was developed.

In the 1950s map, the house on the NE corner of Duplex and Albertus - now gone, a 1870s looking thing - just above the '536.0' on the map was owned by the man who ran the Morley Bedford funeral home on Eglinton west of Yonge.

The Shell station... a police chase around 1970 ended in a shootout there at night, behind the station. The suspect died.

Thank you thecharioteer.

You're welcome!

Maybe it's our age, but I have similar memories growing up near Eglinton and Bathurst, in which as a boy I knew so many of the storekeepers by name, even the red-haired lady in the box-office at the Nortown Theatre. Can't imagine it's the same for kids today......

My Malvern contributions are from my sisters photo's in '73 and '75 from 6 Berner Trail. The 1st phase of Malvern was by a lottery based on your income. The 1st photo is from her front yard looking west to Washburn Way. Nothing but farmland from there to Markham Road except the 2 small streets from the original Malvern in the N/E section of Markham and Sheppard.

6BernerTrail1973-2010LOOKINGWEST2 by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

Same scene 1975.

6BernerTrail1975-2010LOOKINGWEST by MISTER SCARBOROUGH, on Flickr

First picture is very poignant, as are most of these family 'Thens' of yours.

You're welcome!

Maybe it's our age, but I have similar memories growing up near Eglinton and Bathurst, in which as a boy I knew so many of the storekeepers by name, even the red-haired lady in the box-office at the Nortown Theatre. Can't imagine it's the same for kids today......

Reminiscencing is best done in small doses too, as you have so succinctly done. :) Not all the readers/participants here at UT can relate what we relate to. My kids have developed their own set of memories - lining up overnight at the York Theatre for The Phantom Menace...

"Then. 396 College. c1913. 'Arthur W. Miles' new undertaking parlors.' Thank you wwwebster." QUOTE Mustapha

The architect of 396 College Street was the grandfather of a presently well known Toronto bookstore manager!
(Small world!)

A W Miles began in business with a partner at a location just to the west of College/Spadina moving to the above

a number of years later. A short-lived "branch office" was established in the Beach area for a time as well as 396.

I must do an entry on A W MILES, in that he was the ultimate entrepreneur in the Dismal Trade within this city.

While on the subject, Morley S Bedford was the person/company referenced by Mustapha on the page preceeding.

After Morley, the business was taken over by his son-in-law, Robt (Bob) Crawford with his son operating the business now.

For many years, Mrs Bedford lived in an apartment upstairs above that concern.

Regards,
J T aka "The Undertaker".

A. W. Miles seemed to be the undertaker to 'Society' of that time. I suppose there are too many of them now - serving diverse communities - for any particular company to aspire to that position.

First picture is very poignant, as are most of these family 'Thens' of yours.

I like to mix it up Mustapha. We could show downtown photo's for the next 20 years and I would be happy but a lot of us grew up in suburbia and have great memories of the time there. Going downtown was an adventure when I was young and half the fun was trying to make it home without losing anybody.

A little earlier, because the trolley bus that replaced the Rogers Rd streetcar started running on July 21, 1974.

Since this is a summer photo, and I don't think they've strung the additional wires for trolley buses, the latest this photo could be is the summer of 1973.

Actually, given a closer look, the feeder tap insulating crossbar for the trolley bus wire hangers ( and wire ) is visible to the upper right adjacent to the streetcar wire, so it is likely 1974-perhaps even July 20th-the last day of streetcar service on Rogers road.

Back