290     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 366     0 

Miscellany Toronto Photographs: Then and Now

"wow is that olds a convertible? or may be a landau roof???"
Koolgreen.

Landau roofs were only seen on autos from a Show Car or Custom Bodied or latterly "customized" by owner perspective. One of the problems with a "Rag Top",

aside from fabric roof failure usually due to the rotted stitching giving way, was that of the clouding and then brittleness of the zippered-in, plastic rear window.

Most convertibles would end their life with no window and it's behind the rear seat storage area filled with dead leaves/water/snow.

Other items to note are while the Chev is being gassed, it is at the B-A (British-American) Regular "88" pump while

the Olds is at the the unseen Super "98" pump; the Chev is a "Stove-bolt" 6 cylinder;

the Rag Top, a OHV V8. Also to note, is the manner of which the attendant's sleeves are rolled-up; classic!

Regards,
J T

=J T CUNNINGHAM........... Also to note, is the manner of which the attendant's sleeves are rolled-up; classic!

Regards,
J T

indeed cool.....and also I did not know dave devol worked part time as a gas jockey....

" I did not know dave devol worked part time as a gas jockey.... "
Koolgreen.

Good one!
LOL

Regards,
J T

The last house on Bloor... between Parliament and Avenue.

Thought I'd get in on the Then and Now action and throw up a couple of scenes at Bloor East and Sherbourne. It's easy to forget that Bloor used to be a tree-lined residential street before the Viaduct opened in 1918 and was widened around 1927.

Here's the southwest corner in 1912. Note the house on the right.
View attachment 46271

Last weekend. The house, the only remaining survivor, is now a dollar store and slated for demolition.
View attachment 46272

The same intersection, after widening, maybe around 1930. By then, the owners of the grand corner house were OK with a commercial building jammed next door. There's the distinctive portico of the second house again.
View attachment 46273

Now:
View attachment 46274

Nice set Blovertis. I've always wondered about that place.

I wonder how many of us look up occasionally at these old gabled roof survivors peeking out onto modern commercial streets. I know it's kind of a mania of mine to look for them. There could be material for a book here; or a long picture intensive post. :)

A couple of additional observations:

- interesting that the Dominion on the corner has almost come full-circle as a grocery destination with Shoppers Drug Mart recent introduction of a substantial fresh food section.
- I love, love, love, love that light fixture over the gas pumps. I don't think I've ever seen one that style before.

Terrific Then picture. Lot's of history on this block. To your left, chriskayTO - out of the picture - would be the Leslieville landmark Dr. R. J. Black's veterinary hospital. Who hasn't passed by and admired its preserved-in-amber-since-1910 antiquity?

2r5teo4.jpg

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2013/pb/bgrd/backgroundfile-58396.pdf

And further west, the gritty Jim's Restaurant:

2rhbpn8.jpg

Both pics are mine; done in black and white film, these are scans of same.

I wonder how many of us look up occasionally at these old gabled roof survivors peeking out onto modern commercial streets. I know it's kind of a mania of mine to look for them. There could be material for a book here; or a long picture intensive post. :)

Mustapha, I like your suggestion…..Then & Now in the same image.

Here are a couple of house/store conversions:

Danforth at Logan

housestoreDanforthatLogan2013_zps4dafed12.jpg

2726-32 Danforth.

housestore2726-32Danforth2013_zpsac1711bb.jpg

Last edited:
Mustapha, I like your suggestion…..Then & Now in the same image.

Here are a couple of house/store conversions:

Danforth at Logan

housestoreDanforthatLogan2013_zps4dafed12.jpg

2726-32 Danforth.

housestore2726-32Danforth2013_zpsac1711bb.jpg

The purple painted house on Danforth: It's nice that someone had the love and took the trouble to do that.

2726 - 32 Danforth: I wonder if that might have been a 'halfway house' or stagecoach inn back in the day. Because it doesn't look like anything else along the Danforth.

Last edited:
The sign for the Big Slice didn't seem to have changed over the past almost 30 years. Wonder what happened to the La Maison du Crossaint chain (used to have their crossaints every Sat. morning w Cafe au lait at the store on Yonge + Charles...that, or breakfast at Brothers/cop shop across the street).

AoD

AoD, I remember well and miss the La Maison du Crossaint at Yonge and Gerrard E. They also had a head office/bakery location on the NE corner of Caledonia and Tycos. Their danishes were something else; similar to the ones at the also now closed Bregmans Bakery. I would say the Richtree Marche baked goods are the closest thing nowadays.

Site of U.of T. Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970

Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG

Robarts 5-storey addition, announced April 2015

Robarts addition announced April 2015.JPG

Attachments

• Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG
    Site of Robarts Library-Harbord St. between Huron and St. George Sts. looking north. c.1970.JPG
    351.3 KB · Views: 1,303
  • Robarts addition announced April 2015.JPG
    Robarts addition announced April 2015.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 1,344
I've been meaning to do this for months. I found a picture when I was moving offices that must have been taken for a project years ago, so I went and took a "now" picture. It's cropped differently but oh well.

Then: Queen at Spadina, early 90's (1993?)

afNrPag.jpg

(sorry for the poor quality, it was a glossy picture that I quickly scanned)

Now (yesterday):
nvqzQdq.jpg

Photos by me.

EDIT: Here's a version more similarly cropped:

cEHfYwh.png

Attachments

• afNrPag.jpg
    afNrPag.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 937
  • nvqzQdq.jpg
    nvqzQdq.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 943