Toronto Centennial College Library and Academic Facility | ?m | 4s | Centennial College | Diamond Schmitt

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Site Plan application for new library and academic building for Centennial College Progress Campus.

Site Plan Approval 09 153090 ESC 38 SA 941 PROGRESS AVE

Proposal for a new library and academic building at Centennial College

For a look at the proposal, see below:

http://www.centennialcollege.ca/success/library

And here's the rendering of it:

adxGetMedia.aspx

Many Thanks

Many Thanks 42 for posting the rendering.

I've been here long enough to have mastered posting such things, but for some reason, I'm still not very good at it! :eek:

On the downside, I don't particularly care for the building.

On the upside, its an ugly campus, mostly parking lots, they can't do much worse, and if it erases some parking it will still be an improvement. :)

Successful Proponent is EllisDon Corporation, my goodness they are getting alot of institutional projects, Richard Ivey, Lakehead Univeristy in Orillia, Brock University new Bldg

Where's it going on the campus? It'd be nice if Centennial's parking lots were replaced by an entire wing/complex of buildings, mirroring the south buildings and enclosing the central bit and turning it into a sort of quad.

edit - if I'm reading the tiny graphic on the website right, the library seems to be right in the centre of what is now the 'open-faced quad.' Good a spot as any, I guess, since that 'quad' will likely never be one huge open field.

Last edited:
Groundbreaking Oct 23

this morning's press release....

Media Advisory - Centennial College breaks ground for new Library and Academic Facility

TORONTO, Oct. 21 /CNW/ - Centennial College is officially breaking ground for its visionary $46-million Library and Academic Facility with the help of members from the federal and provincial governments, on Friday, October 23 at 10:30 am.

The 103,500-square-foot building designed by Diamond + Schmitt Architects will include a full-service library - replacing a smaller, older facility - as well as 22 additional classrooms, lab space, a living bio-wall and large lecture theatre.

Funding for this project is being provided by the Government of Canada's Knowledge Infrastructure Program and through the Ontario government's 2009 Budget.

The groundbreaking ceremony will be attended by college employees, students and community representatives. Dignitaries attending include the Hon. Tony Clement, Minister of Industry, the Hon. Margarett Best, MPP for Scarborough-Guildwood, the Hon. Brad Duguid, MPP for Scarborough Centre, the Hon. Gerry Phillips, MPP for Scarborough-Agincourt, Wayne Arthurs, MPP for Pickering-Scarborough East, Bas Balkissoon, MPP for Scarborough-Rouge River and Lorenzo Berardinetti, MPP for Scarborough Southwest. Local City of Toronto Councillor Raymond Cho will also be in attendance.

The formal presentation will take about 30 minutes, rain or shine, followed by photography and a reception with refreshments.

Members of the media are invited to attend and speak with representatives.

Date: Friday, October 23, 2009
Time: 10:30 am to 11:30 am
Location: Centennial College Student Centre at Progress Campus
941 Progress Ave. (east of Markham Rd.), Scarborough

More tiny renderings. It's really too bad, because I get to look at the high-res images every day and they are quite beautiful. I am however, not allowed to release them...

adxGetMedia.aspx

Update (little late posting-- photos from March 19)

My personal opinion-- the copper fins are a stunning feature, and from previous photos the inside looks nice. But the brick used here is far too institutional and reminds me of some of the more drab structures on the Unviersity of Waterloo's campus.

Attachments

• P1010433.jpg
    P1010433.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 472
  • P1010439.jpg
    P1010439.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 419
  • P1010435.jpg
    P1010435.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 395
  • P1010431.jpg
    P1010431.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 456
  • P1010432.jpg
    P1010432.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 426
A question for those who understand building materials: how will the gleaming copper cladding weather, color-wise? Will it develop a green patina, or will it maintain the copper color? If the latter, is it treated somehow in order to do this?

Back