1.1K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Dufferin & Eglinton

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated! I'm from out of town and considering moving to this part of the city...

Thanks in advance.

picture.php

For reference purposes, use this image for the proposed Dufferin station from the Eglinton Crosstown LRT, currently undergoing an Environmental Assessment.

I lived there for 2 years, just 3 blocks west of Dufferin (Ennerdale). What exactly do you need to know?

Theres a grocery store (No Frills), Shoppers, Schools, Pools, Its a 10 minute bus ride to Eglinton West station...

Eglinton can be a bit rough at night, but I have never run into problems walking home at that time. Its really not as bad as people make it out to be. Both Eglinton and Dufferin are also 24 hour bus routes, which is good if you wont be using a car to get around.

Eglinton is rough around Dufferin ??

I thought it was farther east really?

When would you say Eglinton get's rough on the easy / west sides of Yonge?

Eglinton is rough around Dufferin ??

I thought it was farther east really?

When would you say Eglinton get's rough on the easy / west sides of Yonge?

There was always a large police presence around Dufferin/Eglinton. Keele/Eglinton is also another spot.

Traffic on the allen exiting to eglinton is brutal. No direct exit from 401 westbound to dufferin...several caribbean stores/restaurants and pretty close to yorkdale..

Last edited:
Smart money is buying up property here. I think it will become an extension of the Eglinton West of Bathurst Jewish community within 20 years. Some families are buying bungalows and putting (f)ugly mcmansions in their place. Keele and Eglinton, I predict, will be where the hipsters that are now toddlers in the Junction, etc will move to c.2040's....

Good choice

I agree with Urban Dreamer's the 'smart money' comment on Dufferin/Eglinton. I've never thought of it before, but I think his hipster prediction isn't too far off.

I'm a big fan of this area of Toronto. Two generations of my family lived there and when I went to buy a place we targeted that area (although we ended up off of St Clair.) It's kind of a neat dynamic between the Jewish community around the Allen (they're pretty settled due to synagogue proximity), the leftover Italians, and the Portuguese and Jamaican communities that are more predominant, particularly the latter.

It's still pretty affordable, close to the subway, much of the housing is in decent shape and the area is pretty safe. You're close to Yorkdale mall, the hospital on Keele, 401 access through the Allen, and equidistant from the big box stores on the 401 to downtown via the subway. (Also close to Lady York, a killer Italian grocery store on Dufferin just south of Lawrence.)

Most houses have their own parking too, which is a bonus. Lots of well-maintained bungalows north of Eglinton to about Roselawn, there are some newish condos around Castlefield, and while south of Eglinton is a bit more expensive, it's still relatively affordable in and around Glenholme and Oakwood and Atlas (east of Atlas is a write-off unless you have 700$k).

West of Eglinton is cheaper but not as subway accessible (but still nothing terrible, particularly in a Toronto context.) Housing options here are most often bungalows and some semis, in around around Bowie and streets like that.

Some people rag on Eglinton west of the Allen for being a bit run-down but what I think these people fail to recognize is that Eglinton from Dufferin to the Allen is pretty bustling.

All the shops are full, there are always people around, and it's lively - which is a lot more than you can say about many stretches of Gerrard or the east Danforth (where first time buyers often go to get a house) with empty storefronts and underwhelming pedestrian traffic.

Traffic, however, is terrible. Hopefully the LRT helps, a bit.

Last edited:
One of the few places in Toronto where a young couple can afford a detached home. Bought ours in Dufferin / Eglington for $330ish. 3-bedroom, 2-story detatched with a shared driveway, all brick built in the 1930s. Area has a few sketchy people but all in all is safe and most people are friendly. If you see a large police presence, it's because the police station is right at the Allen. Traffic is a nightmare but you can avoid it when you're in the area by taking some of the one-way streets, Marlee, Oakwood/Vaughan, depending on where you're going.

A new rental construction is in the works, as well as some condos. Gentrification isn't too far off. The thing I hate the most are houses built like this:. Sad to see something that tall pop up right next to two little bungalows. God they're ugly too.

Great access to lots of parks though. Easy access to anywhere in the city with highways all around, if you drive. Cedervale Park is a great gem a short walk away.

One of the few places in Toronto where a young couple can afford a detached home. Bought ours in Dufferin / Eglington for $330ish. 3-bedroom, 2-story detatched with a shared driveway, all brick built in the 1930s. Area has a few sketchy people but all in all is safe and most people are friendly. If you see a large police presence, it's because the police station is right at the Allen. Traffic is a nightmare but you can avoid it when you're in the area by taking some of the one-way streets, Marlee, Oakwood/Vaughan, depending on where you're going.

A new rental construction is in the works, as well as some condos. Gentrification isn't too far off. The thing I hate the most are houses built like this:. Sad to see something that tall pop up right next to two little bungalows. God they're ugly too.

Great access to lots of parks though. Easy access to anywhere in the city with highways all around, if you drive. Cedervale Park is a great gem a short walk away.

Think the bungalows are a little ugly, myself. And the tall one an improvement.

My great aunt had a condo in on of the yellow buildings off of Marlee and I remember spending summer days on the roof top terrace as a kid. It was mostly an Italian neighbourhood then - the grocer up on Marlee south of Lawrence Square and the little sandwich shop closer to Eglinton was the best. Veal and pepper on a Calabrese bun for $2.50.

I feel old :)

Any information on this area would be greatly appreciated! I'm from out of town and considering moving to this part of the city...

Thanks in advance.

If I were you, I would move to a better area, this is for welfare people, or low class area.... Not one of the greatest... I have been living in the area for almost 20 years, before I moved, now I am living in scarborough. its much better then eglinton and dufferin..

Back