246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Richmond Hill

supergirly

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm moving to Richmond Hill in a few months and would love to know what you guys thought of the area. All opinions welcome.

Is it a safe area? Does it have good shopping/restaurants?

Thanks in advance

Hi supergirly!

Richmond Hill's a pretty good area. It's generally safe, and has a couple of nice communities. In terms of shopping and eating, there's nothing really substantial that I know of. I've been to a couple restaurants on Yonge St that were rather good, but I don't know much else other than that.

Hope you like the area though!

Life in Richmond Hill

Supergirly. Richmond Hill covers a rather large area and many parts of it are quite different. If you are closer to Yonge and Major Mac then you are in the old part that is a bit more congested but closer to better transit, movies, theatre, the main library etc. As you go further north the homes tend to get larger, the burbs get newer and the sense of close knit community lessens. Further to the east there are more big box stores and denser areas of large restaurant chains. I think all are fine areas to live in. There is a large number of parks and leagues of all kinds for kids and adults to enjoy. There are many arenas for hockey as well. I have lived in northern R.H. for almost ten years and have enjoyed raising my family here as well as playing many sports. Welcome, and enjoy.:)

Richmond Hill's a big place. Generally it's a pretty safe and rich city. Good if you like the suburban lifestyle. Even better if you are Chinese or like Chinese food.

Supergirly. As you go further north the homes tend to get larger, the burbs get newer and the sense of close knit community lessens.

You can't just make comments like these on a general level. Although I happily live south of Eglinton today, I was raised deep within the stereotypical suburbs. Growing up, all of the families on my street knew each other. In the summer, the kids would play on front lawns under the rotating supervision of parents, and in the winter we would often shovel each others' driveways. I can't tell you how many times someone would knock on the door asking for an extra egg or a cup of flour. Despite being a relatively new cookie cutter 905 suburb, which incidentally was near Richmond Hill, my community could not have been closer knit.

The above scenario is possible anywhere in the GTA, as is the opposite scenario. In my last building, I literally didn't know a single other tenant on my floor. In my current building just 2 blocks away, I know almost everyone. Although specific streets and buildings can be hit and miss, your chances of finding a good one are not at all related to 416 vs. 905, or downtown vs. suburbs. Good and bad micro-communities exist everywhere.

Newer suburbs invariably have closer knit streets and neighbours than older suburbs, although the longer an area has been around, the more general 'sense of community' it tends to have - which may or may not have any practical manifestations.

Why are you looking

Hey Super....

Why are you looking at Deep Northern Suburbia? Its important to know what you are looking for, and what choices you have in order to comment properly.

We could all offer a bunch of details, but none may be about what's important to you. Let us know!

supergirly, I presume you are coming from overseas?

the best advice I can give you if you want to move to Torontois: live as close to your workplace as possible. If you're going to choose between Richmond Hill & Aurora, the proximity to your work would be the most important factor.

Just from personal experience, commuting any distance in this city is enough to make me cry.

Yes indeedy Kettal we are coming from overseas. The U.K. to be exact. My partner has the choice of setting up offices in Richmond Hill or Toronto so will definitly remember your advice about commuting.

In response to your question Northern I want to be in suburbia because I want to be near where my partner works but not right in Toronto because we have a dog. What I'm looking for from an area is for it to be safe, friendly, have nice parks close by for pooch, some nice restaurants and shops and generally just be a nice area to live in.

I want to be in suburbia because I want to be near where my partner works but not right in Toronto because we have a dog.

When you use the term Toronto, I assume you mean downtown Toronto. In fact, the largest backyards can be found in 1950s subdivisions, which are almost exclusively found in suburbs located within Toronto proper. Depending on how much money you have, you might want to move to North York instead.

Yes indeedy Kettal we are coming from overseas. The U.K. to be exact. My partner has the choice of setting up offices in Richmond Hill or Toronto so will definitly remember your advice about commuting.

In response to your question Northern I want to be in suburbia because I want to be near where my partner works but not right in Toronto because we have a dog. What I'm looking for from an area is for it to be safe, friendly, have nice parks close by for pooch, some nice restaurants and shops and generally just be a nice area to live in.

The dog capital of Toronto is Yonge & Lawrence, not quite Richmond Hill, but it seems more like what you are looking for.

Back