News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

Ashbridges Bay Skate Park

casaguy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Surprisingly, no thread (or mention elsewhere) for this ongoing project at Lakeshore Blvd E and Coxwell. (Also, some City of Toronto material uses an apostrophe and some does not when spelling "Ashbridge's". My understanding is that Ashbridge is the name of a family and therefore should have an apostrophe.)

Progress photos from this week.

Some info from City of Toronto website:

June 26, 2008

Construction of Toronto’s first waterfront skateboard park is underway at Ashbridges Bay

Councillor Sandra Bussin, Ward 32 Beaches-East York, and Councillor Paula Fletcher, Chair of the City’s Parks and Environment Committee, participated in a groundbreaking ceremony today for the Ashbridges Bay skateboard park, located on the northwest corner of Lake Shore Blvd. E. and Coxwell Ave. It is anticipated to become a leading destination for skateboarding in Canada.

“The Ashbridges Bay skateboard park will be an important regional facility, drawing skateboard enthusiasts from across the city to Toronto’s waterfront,†said Councillor Sandra Bussin. “The City engaged community youth throughout the development process in order to create a skateboard park that meets the needs of its users and offers youth a safe, modern and fun place in which to challenge themselves.â€

The plans take a progressive approach to skateboard park design. It will be Toronto’s first urban skate plaza, which is based on real-life street structures. The street-style skateboard park will be approximately 2,000 sq. m (21,500 sq. ft.) and suitable for all levels and abilities, incorporating a number of elements such as a floating manual dish, concrete recliner and Daewon Song style pad. The park will include a high degree of architectural detailing, such as planting areas, among the skateboarding elements.

The City of Toronto’s Parks, Forestry and Recreation Division has been working with the community on the conceptual design since 2005 and started in 2006 to develop the site for a skateboard park. Located on the former shores of Lake Ontario, the sub-soil consists of a combination of peat moss, sand and silt, making it unstable. The process to prepare the foundation has taken place over the last two years, and has involved the use of best engineering practices to address the unique conditions and challenges of the site.

Approximately 40,000 cu. m of clean fill was used to add weight in stages to compact the existing soils. Ongoing testing and monitoring was conducted to measure the bearing capacity of the soil, which continues to settle. Creating a strong base has been the first priority of the project. The division re-designed the structural foundation and incorporated piles to augment the unstable sub-soil, ensuring the site is suitable for construction to begin. Building of the skateboard park will take place throughout the summer and will be completed by the end of the year.

“The building of the Ashbridges Bay skateboard park is a wonderful example of how we are animating our parks and public spaces to further enhance the experiences of our park users,†said Councillor Paula Fletcher.

Toronto is Canada’s largest city and sixth largest government, and home to a diverse population of about 2.6 million people. It is the economic engine of Canada and one of the greenest and most creative cities in North America. In the past three years, Toronto has won more than 70 awards for quality, innovation and efficiency in delivering public services. Toronto’s government is dedicated to prosperity, opportunity and liveability for all its residents.

Media contact: Parks, Forestry and Recreation Media Hotline, 416-560-8726, pfrmediahotline@toronto.ca

there is one in Mississauga near the Hershey Centre, you can see it while driving on the 403, it seems to be packed every day, day and night, in all kinds of weather...

It's good to see people finally using the Skate Park on Coxwell and Lakeshore after all these years of them promising it would come!

^I'm confused. It's not open. Are you refering to construction finally proceeding after a lengthy delay due to the wrong fill?

No, I'm referring to the kids with skate boards that are playing on the freshly poured concrete every time I walk past. It's certainly hasn't been opened yet ... but that's not going to stop people.

Very happy to see this skateboard park packed with kids yesterday and today. Congrats to those who made this project happen.

Hmm I've never seen Ashbridges Bay spelt Ashbridge's Bay. It looks weird to me. Some things just aren't meant to be apostrophized (e.g. Rogers not Roger's). It kinda annoys me that Canada decided to standardize place names without apostrophes to appease the French (e.g. St. Catharines as a place name bothers me).

Hmm I've never seen Ashbridges Bay spelt Ashbridge's Bay. It looks weird to me. Some things just aren't meant to be apostrophized (e.g. Rogers not Roger's). It kinda annoys me that Canada decided to standardize place names without apostrophes to appease the French (e.g. St. Catharines as a place name bothers me).

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/ashbridge.htm

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/recreation_facilities/skateboarding/index.htm

Well, the official city title is Ashbridge's Bay, and it's named after the Ashbridge family, so why wouldn't it be with an apostrophe? Rogers doesn't have an apostrophe because Ted's last name was Rogers, not Roger.

We went for a walk/scooter with our girls down the boardwalk on Tuesday night, and the place was bopping -- the skateboard park was packed, some Iranians were having a huge party on the beach for Persian New Year (I think), and the jogging/dog-walking crowds were out. Fabulous!

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/parks_gardens/ashbridge.htm

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/recreation_facilities/skateboarding/index.htm

Well, the official city title is Ashbridge's Bay, and it's named after the Ashbridge family, so why wouldn't it be with an apostrophe? Rogers doesn't have an apostrophe because Ted's last name was Rogers, not Roger.

We went for a walk/scooter with our girls down the boardwalk on Tuesday night, and the place was bopping -- the skateboard park was packed, some Iranians were having a huge party on the beach for Persian New Year (I think), and the jogging/dog-walking crowds were out. Fabulous!

I didn't say I disagreed with it being written "Ashbridge's Bay", just that I'd never seen it written that way before. If that is the correct spelling though, the thread title should be changed! :p

Video from Ashbridges Park

Check out this video shot at Ashbridges Park, it's a really cool edit that we posted at GoPro Canada.

[video=vimeo;22264896]http://vimeo.com/22264896[/video]

Back