2.3K     5 

Roads: Montreal reduces city speed limits to 40 km/h

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
From CBC News:

july-07-09-speed-limit.jpg

Montreal announced Monday that speed limits on residential streets will be reduced to 40 km/h within the year. (CBC)

Montreal reduces city speed limits

Montreal and Quebec’s transportation ministry have reached a deal to allow the city to reduce speed limits on its streets to 40 km/h from 50.

The speed reduction has been in the works since the city asked the ministry for permission to lower the speed limit in 2006.

The city released a statement on Monday, confirming that Quebec Transport Minister Julie Boulet finally gave permission for the speed change once the city and the province worked out how the new speed limit would be phased in.

Limits on streets in residential neighbourhoods would drop to 40 km/h, while major arteries would stay at 50 km/h.

The city said it would try to save money on signage by posting the speed change by sector. The city would put signs at entry points in each sector instead of street by street.

City spokesman Darren Becker said the main reason for the change is safety.

"There's statistical data that proves that by reducing the speed limit by just 10 kilometres an hour, you can significantly reduce the chances of serious injury and death," Becker said. He added that increased awareness and policing have also brought the number of traffic injuries down significantly.

The city said new limits should be in place sometime next summer.

With just about every side street in Toronto with a 40 km/h speed limit sign, maybe Toronto should do the same. Save money on signage. Have only 50 km/h signs on the main streets.

40 km/h is crawling speed, and 30 is basically walking. It's ridiculous. Why is slower better?

As much as I love Montreal, I think this is the most ludicrous idea I've ever heard. Sure, 10 km/h slower will save you some fatalities. But you know what? So will banning cars. At what point do you say enough is enough? Especially since everyone will continue driving 50 anyway.

On most one-way Montreal streets, you'd be crazy to drive 50 km/hr with cars on both sides. I seem to recall it was already 40 km/hr in some of the other towns ... CSL?

For some odd reason, a handful of residential side streets in Toronto have posted speed limits of 50 km/hr. I have seen at least two, one being northwest of Bathurst and Wilson, and the other being southeast of Bathurst and Lawrence. In both cases, a 40 km/hr side street randomly turns into 50 km/hr for no apparent reason.

As much as I love Montreal, I think this is the most ludicrous idea I've ever heard. Sure, 10 km/h slower will save you some fatalities. But you know what? So will banning cars. At what point do you say enough is enough? Especially since everyone will continue driving 50 anyway.

Maybe their getting road management and safety advice from McGuinty and Fantino.

Was just in Montreal this past weekend and was reminded yet again that even on major arteries, it's near impossible to drive anywhere even near 50 in that city of crazy drivers, crappy roads, and random construction and road closures.

On the other hand, smaller residential streets, it is possible to go pretty fast if you are not scarred of driving in tight spaces. So I guess this makes sense.

*meant as a tongue in cheek, obviously at night you can drive fast on any road*

Either way, this is just a cost-saving measure, I don't think it actually changes anything, so all that talk of 'safety' does not apply. People ignore signs anyway, and generally drive at what they feel is the safe speed.

Last edited:
People ignore signs anyway, and generally drive at what they feel is the safe speed.

I would guess the idea is to change the driver's habit over time. With the now-50 speed limit, Montrealars feel entitled to drive at 60/65. With a 40 speed limit, this might go down (over time, again) to 50/55. Which would be a blessing, especially on the narrow residential streets of the Plateau.

There is so many bad drivers in Montreal no wonder they are lowering it to 40 km/hr. I hate driving in that city.

"Sure, it'll save a few lives, but millions will be late!"

::reads speed limit reduction ballot and writes NO WAY::

Back