News   Mar 28, 2024
 67     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Submission 15: Alex Soloviev - Ribs and glass

How would you rate Submission 15 out ten?

Votes: 15 15.8%

Votes: 12 12.6%

Votes: 23 24.2%

Votes: 17 17.9%

Votes: 12 12.6%

Votes: 8 8.4%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 3 3.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: Alex Soloviev

Bridge Type: see below

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION

The main element of this design is the oval shaped rib. As the ribs in a human body protect vital organs, the ribs in this case protect the people using the bridge, enclosing them in a semi-protected structure. The ribs are steel and uniform, making the manufacturing and assembly process simple. The main connections will either be welded or use a screw and bolt connection. The exterior, from the deck and up, is clad with glass to prevent people from throwing debris onto the trains and tracks. However, everything below the deck is open to allow for drainage of water and so that garage will not collect.

The deck is comprised of three sections. The two outside ones are steel grates while the middle is a layer of concrete on steel decking. This is to allow accessibility including bikers, rollerbladers, and people in wheelchairs. The steel grates however, are designed to give pedestrians the feeling that they are floating above the tracks. The steel cables are there to reinforce that notion as it looks like they are the ones holding up the deck. There is also a cable fence running along to prevent people from damaging the glass.

There are also many opportunities to create interesting and effective lighting which can point up and down from the ends of the steel ribs.

IMAGES

Alex-1.jpg

Alex-2.jpg

Alex-3.jpg

Alex-4.jpg

Alex-5.jpg

Last edited:
Ribs and Glass: An interesting tunnel effect...

3D: Alex's design is quite interesting with a "tunnel" effect that could be enhanced at night by the use of colored lights.

Does anyone remember a late 60s/early 70s era science-fiction TV show called The Time Tunnel? This design made me think of it due to some similarity.
LI MIKE

Last edited:
Reminds me of a bike handle somewhat. I really like it! I definitely would not add any colour to it, other than maybe some night lighting for fun.
A 10 from me!

Love the night renders. Are the pedestrian routes lit from beneath the grates?

Would be an elegant jewel necklace of light at night.

thanks for the replies everyone.

3D, you are correct. the grates would be lit from the bottom with soft light. while the middle strip is lit by the smaller lights which also show the boundary between the different materials.

Last edited:
A little too boring for me, isnt this supposed to be a pedestrian bridge? It looks more like a subway tunnel, not very warm and inviting at all in my opinion.

feels a little Star Trek-y attempt of spaceship tunnels ... nice design overall ... but it may not age / date very well

Back