News   Mar 28, 2024
 154     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 196     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 253     0 

Submission 14: InfrastructureStudio - "Weaving the Gap"

How would you rate Submission 14 out of ten?

Votes: 34 32.4%

Votes: 25 23.8%

Votes: 21 20.0%

Votes: 10 9.5%

Votes: 7 6.7%

Votes: 3 2.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: InfrastructureStudio (see design team below)

Bridge Type: see below

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION - LINK TO ORIGINAL PDF

Weaving the Gap

The bridge structure for the span over the rail yards is derived from the rhythm of the rail tracks and uses a multiplicity of lighter structural elements acting together in a complex pattern to create its support. As with a box truss, the depth of the structure is used for support and inhabited however in this case the structure is more fragmented and shaped into a more contemporary form. The structure responds to span lengths by adding depth at midspan where the moment of the span is highest. It is completely fabricated from plate steel, which has an easy translation into built form using current fabrication technology: plate steel can be cut into any form required by the CAD fi les provided from the architectural modelling software.

Approaches
Approaches to the bridge have been placed on fi ll. This is an economic as well as a design decision. The fi ll may necessitate a small amount of retaining wall however it is generally much more economical in bridge building than structure.

The approaches have further been shaped to allow an easy transition on bicycle from the line of travel of the approaches to the direction of the bridge. A shorter stair entrance is also found on either end of the structure for those users who may choose a shorter approach to the structure. The structure extends out over the travelled pedestrian way and in this way the
structure becomes a land feature and defi nes a space for those who are passing the bridge.

Enclosure
Enclosure has been designed with meshes, one more dense than the other to provide patterning of the structure. The meshes allow air passage, keeping the enclosed space from becoming stagnant. It also allows rain to penetrate and wash the deck and in this way require less maintenance than a glazed enclosure. As well, the mesh is vandal resistant and easy to clean.

Erection
Erection will take advantage of the staging area near the site. The structure will be primarily shop fabricated steel shipped to site in segments and then fi eld welded into larger parts, which can then be erected by crane. The fi nal craned pieces could be bolted into place with overlapping members, if necessary, rather than fi eld welded. The deck could be cast after the steel structure has been erected, saving lifting capacity on the cranes.

Lighting
Architectural lighting should be included. The lighting would accent the structure and provide a night time presence as well as provide additional safety.

Design team:
AnnaLisa Meyboom, P.Eng. MRAIC, Principal, InfrastructureStudio
Christopher Sklar, MArch also affi liated with Lodge 414 Architectural Think Tank www.lodge414.org

IMAGES

Infra-1.jpg

Infra-2.jpg

Infra-enclosure.jpg

Infra-aerial.jpg

PLAN - PART ONE
Plan-b.jpg

PLAN - PART TWO
Plan-a.jpg

LINK TO LARGE PLAN

Last edited:
Woah:eek: that looks so cool. great idea!!!:) lol on three different bridges ive said its my favorite but everytime i say it, it turns out that there is a new bridge that is even better.

This is the only one to get a 10 from me. Excellent submission. I love it. It's fun, colourful, and looks good.

If you look at the gorgeous black & white elevation drawing (bottom of PLAN PART ONE - scroll right if necessary), you really see what a flawless sculpture this is. I think of the best work of Zaha Hadid when I look at that drawing.

Weaving The Gap-quite a design!

3D and everyone: This is quite a design from IS-I can picture it having a swirl-effect light show at night making it memorable.
The drawback is that it might be too outlandish for a city like Toronto.
LI MIKE

The drawback is that it might be too outlandish for a city like Toronto.
LI MIKE

LI MIKE: we have an art college on stilts, giant crystals grafted on to an historic limestone museum, a 5 star hotel u/c that will lean south and threaten to fall over... and roller coaster "wave decks" down at the lake.... don't see how some sexy curves over the corridor would be too outlandish.

Very Zaha Hadid. Very nice. My only question was why use such a grainy background image? You only really get the sense of how well designed it is in the B/W drawing and isolated CGI renderings.

Wow, but...

This would be great. It sure would be pretty. I'm seeing it as 1.5 m below the specified clearance and the entrance on Front ST is built out on fill that the railway is going to protest. I hope I'm wrong about these things.
M

Why does it narrow right in the middle where the center support is? What is your cost estimate? Would it be buildable within the 1.2M budget noted on the "panel judges" thread?

3D: Toronto has changed...

3D: Toronto has changed-even since the 80s somewhat-compared to the old days of WASPy conservatism it was once known for. Those mentioned places would never have been built back in those days.

I do like this design-I would have not mentioned my suggestion for a swirling light effect if I did not-but what I meant is this design may be too revolutionary or outlandish for some people.

As I mentioned once a winner has been chosen by the Jury I will stand behind that choice and hopefully that design becomes reality. I like too many of the proposed designs to single one out now.

LI MIKE

love the organic form ~

Back