News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 638     0 

Submission 10: Addison & Al Nasser - truss bridge as "park"

How would you rate Submission 10 out of ten?

Votes: 4 4.3%

Votes: 7 7.6%

Votes: 8 8.7%

Votes: 13 14.1%

Votes: 17 18.5%

Votes: 11 12.0%

Votes: 12 13.0%

Votes: 7 7.6%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: Nathaniel Addison and Khalid Al Nasser

Bridge Type: see description

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

- *images have been re-sized by moderators]

DESCRIPTION

Our bridge design was derived by focusing on the strengths and weaknesses of the site. The Bridge connects the dense residential towers with the much-needed mixed-use neighborhood to the north, across the tracks. The south side of Front Street has no obvious connection point so we were concerned with creating an activity node that could draw pedestrian traffic towards the base of the residential towers; a dead site with no reason to explore. To achieve this we placed a green space on the bridge, drawing reluctant crowds to cross the conceptual barrier created by the rails, elevated highway and the wall of condominiums. The park elevates until it has reached the pier, creating a comfortable space where people may stop and relax.

The structure of the bridge was inspired by the iron, trussed, Bathurst bridge. By using similar materials, a conceptual east-west axis is created that links the new bridge proposal with the industrially derived bridge on Bathurst. This axis may be extended slightly to incorporate Old Fort Yorke, an easily missed landmark. The complicated truss beneath the grassed area was imagined as another experience, from beneath. It provides a dramatic view for GO train riders heading west as they emerge from the tunnel.

IMAGES

green1.jpg

green2.jpg

green-north2.jpg

green-east2.jpg

green-eastzoom.jpg

green-aerial2.jpg

Haha that's a very interesting design. Some railings might be needed to prevent people from falling down, but it looks cool right now. Not sure whether I like it better than the straighter to it designs.

Issues with "green space"

The concept is great but it won't work. Like the vine submission this one has issues with how "green" it can be. The new Vancouver Convention Centre has made some architects realize the implications of green space and architecture. The green roof of the Convention Centre would require so much irrigation that the city said no to supplying it. They ended up installing a desalinization plant to bring water out of the ocean. The cost and environmental impact are higher than a traditional roof.

Your concept seems great but we can no longer market artificial green spaces as environmentally friendly, because most aren't.

I understand the good intentions but you must know how to make it work or it can be quite inefficient.

#10: An unique design but...

3D: I like the open bridge design but the hill in its middle-no way!
Perhaps this design needs a roof over it over its length or in sections...
LI MIKE

Great to see another participant sharing my vision for this bridge as a green extension of the park. A pedestrian on Front St. is drawn into the beginning of the park steps away instead seeing a park at the other side of a bridge over the rail corridor.

There's lots of technical work to be done in terms of meeting the height and barrier requirements, but in spirit, this design is great. One of my favs.

Last edited:
I don't like the design, but the concept might be the best of any submission.

Back