News   Apr 18, 2024
 3.1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.1K     4 

Condo moving - elevator fees/deposits?

cookedToronto

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what all your experience are regarding condo elevator fees/deposits for moving in/out.

When I moved into my current condo, I had to pay a $130 deposit that was refunded about a month later.

I'll be moving to another condo at the end of June as a subletter, and in July I'll be moving out of that condo into my new (purchased) condo.

Is it customary for every condo to charge the elevator fees or deposit for every move in/move out? What about delivery of furniture?

I'm just wondering if I need to put aside over $500 to cover potential elevator deposits for all these moves (4 elevators in total, and cash it tight!).

I think it depends on the building. When I lived in Scarborough they didn't charge for moving. But they seem to charge downtown.

This is my situtation.... sorry for hijacking thread but i cannot post for some reason.....

So i have a bad relationship with my landlord (wouldn't fix fridge, washroom) went to tenant board and got awarded some money, got her to return my security deposit etc. She finally gave me a notice saying that her child moving into the condo and i have to move out. Long story short, I'm moving out in next couple days and the condo management told me that there's a non refundable move out fee of $125. Do I have to pay this?

Nowhere in our lease it mentions this fee or that we have to abide by rules and regulations of the condo board.
Landlord said that she won't pay and we have to pay.
I already have a booked elevator but haven't paid that fee yet, there's also a $250 damage deposit (i'm ok with that)

Landlord also owes me for key deposit and interest on last month's rent which i knew she wouldn't want to pay so I haven't paid her hydro for last couple months so I'm not in the hole too much.

Lanlord said I have to pay the move out fee, she said she's not giving me my key deposit back either (do i have to still give her back the keys? I was just going to email her that i moved out and not give her keys because she's not giving me the key deposit back)

What do you guys think?

Long story short, I'm moving out in next couple days and the condo management told me that there's a non refundable move out fee of $125

This sounds like building policy rather than something to do with the landlord directly. If the lease contains verbiage like "must abide by the rules of the condominium corporation" then you've agreed to pay it.

Lanlord said I have to pay the move out fee, she said she's not giving me my key deposit back either (do i have to still give her back the keys? I was just going to email her that i moved out and not give her keys because she's not giving me the key deposit back)

Ask to meet in person to exchange the keys/key deposit. Be accommodating in every-way to arrange for a simultaneous exchange of funds for the keys; if it's taken upstream you've made a good faith effort. I'd be tempted not to accept a cheque (tell them that in advance); but a bounced cheque is pretty solid evidence for small claims court.

An electronic key to the building does have quite a bit of value to the landlord as most corporations charge a fee to replace them.

FYI, using the keys after you move out might be considered breaking and entering.

Last edited:
This sounds like building policy rather than something to do with the landlord directly. If the lease contains verbiage like "must abide by the rules of the condominium corporation" then you've agreed to pay it.

lease does not contain anything like that... it's a basic lease about rental fee, hydro, damage, etc etc.....nothing about abiding by any condo rules.

I'm willing to meet with her and I already told her that but I know she's not returning the key deposit, but I will meet with her anyways just for the sake of it.

lease does not contain anything like that... it's a basic lease about rental fee, hydro, damage, etc etc.....nothing about abiding by any condo rules.

Condo fees of this kind are tied to the unit rather than the occupant of the unit. I don't see how they could prevent you from leaving; show building management a copy of your lease if they hassle you.

The remaining risk is that your landlord might report it to the credit bureaus which would be nearly impossible to get removed without a court order. This is a rather involved process on her part.

I'm willing to meet with her and I already told her that but I know she's not returning the key deposit, but I will meet with her anyways just for the sake of it.

If it gets escalated to the tenant board or small claims court, by you or your landlord, you want to have put in a reasonable effort to meet your obligation. Take the keys with you and offer to meet again when she can make the key deposit available.

I also suggest you do a damage inspection after moving your stuff out and photograph it; take a friend. When her kid punches a hole in the wall while moving in, you'll have evidence it wasn't you.

Back