News   Mar 28, 2024
 104     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

Submission 8: Tyler Brown - Space frame arch with suspended deck

How would you rate Submission 8 out of ten?

Votes: 10 9.0%

Votes: 15 13.5%

Votes: 23 20.7%

Votes: 21 18.9%

Votes: 17 15.3%

Votes: 6 5.4%

Votes: 3 2.7%

Votes: 9 8.1%

Votes: 4 3.6%

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: Tyler Brown

Bridge Type: Space Frame Arch with Suspended Deck

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION

Proposal Concept:
Evolution of the box truss: a traditional truss adapted into a twisting space frame, symbolizing a juxtaposition between conventional and contemporary architecture.

Structural Logic:
The box truss has traditionally been used to span large distances due to its structural and material efficiency. Such a precedent should be celebrated for its integrity. This design proposal integrates the truss and has adapted it as both a celebration of tradition and a look to the future of structural elegance. The twisting steel space frame takes the form of an arch resulting in powerful structural strength. The structure soars high above the railroad, allowing all railway traffic continue unhindered during its construction.

Construction Notes:
The use of a space frame is not only highly efficient structurally but also cost effective to construct. The lightness of structure allows for many options concerning the construction of this bridge, including modular and cantilevering construction, or a combination of the two. The steel struts and rails could be welded either on site or transported as prefabricated modules.

Summary:
Staying true to the traditional means of spanning in the area, the box truss is the central feature of the proposed space-frame arch. This bridge would undoubtedly be an impressive step in Toronto’s ambition to celebrate and proclaim its own architectural precedents.

IMAGES
Brown-Bridge-Tower.jpg

Brown-Bridge-Train.jpg

Brown-On-Bridge.jpg

Brown-Aerial.jpg

Brown-Perspective.jpg

/\ Nonconstructive criticism will not be tolerated.

Thanks for your design Mr. Brown - it looks like you were the first one to step it up to the CAD level! I really like the ephemeral effect of the bridge, especially in the shot from the CN tower. Connections could be made to the steam clouds of Locomotives long gone by as well as the Blur Building by Diller & Scofidio (2002).

Excellent job!

haha. Here's what I think: too fussy, too much like Paris (Eiffel-esque), and ultimately, too impractical! Toronto needs covered bridges, especially in this bleak setting here.

A box truss can look good, echoing the Bathurst St bridge for example, only with glass roof and walls.

looks very nice and elegant. good job!

for safety reasons have you thought about how to integrate railings?

Toronto needs covered bridges, especially in this bleak setting here.

Could you explain why a bridge leading from an open space to an even larger open space (CityPlace park) needs to be enclosed?

This isn't a bridge running from a building to another building. You're outside, you cross the bridge and again you're outside.

Toronto has far more uncovered bridges than it does covered ones. The enclosed bridges lead into and/or from a closed space: SkyWalk, Convention Centre, EatonCentre-TheBay..... and I can't think of any more enclosed bridges in Toronto.

As for this design, it looks great, it is surely very ambitious. However, I'm not sure it meets a couple of the criteria:
1 - Height over the tracks. There needs to be a ramp of some sort on both ends so that the span begins at a height satisfactory of GO/Via/CP's requirements.
2 - The bridge design must prevent tampering with the trains below and would be suicide attempts. This could include high rails, a fence of some sort, a glass wall, etc.

Other than that, I think you're on to something here. I like it.

This arch bridge has roller-coaster looks...

3D: Interesting design here! The bridge reminds me of a roller coaster design and I can picture this having colored lights on it with a light show at night making it even more memorable! LI MIKE

Designer Comment

I appreciate the constructive criticism so far. I want to state that hand rails are not a part of this early stage in the design, not as a design statement, but because the structure is my focus at this point. As for clearance above the railway, the deck would be raised and accessed by ramps on either end. For this competition I have not rendered ramps as I feel the proposal is more about the main span concept.

I must say I really enjoy the criticism thus far and I will try to give my critique to each of the other entries.

This design is absolutely amazing. For someone who is currently living in the area this would be a dream come true. I can imagine the costs beings higher when taking up such a project but Concord would be wise to invest behind it to restore its reputation.

Really great design. I love the flow to it. It's very minimal and curvy, yet it looks fragile too. Definitely my favourite design so far!

Very nice, but ultimately too... un-Toronto? It would look very unique in the cityscape but also somewhat out of place.

I thought one of the conditions was that the bridge be enclosed, rightly or wrongly. One of the issues is debris being thrown onto the tracks, once you've built a 4-7 foot wall to stop people throwing things then you might as well top it off.

Very nice, but ultimately too... un-Toronto? It would look very unique in the cityscape but also somewhat out of place.

I thought one of the conditions was that the bridge be enclosed, rightly or wrongly. One of the issues is debris being thrown onto the tracks, once you've built a 4-7 foot wall to stop people throwing things then you might as well top it off.

It only looks this way because Toronto is too conservative. Toronto can change it's ways and looks without being "un-Toronto".

It only looks this way because Toronto is too conservative. Toronto can change it's ways and looks without being "un-Toronto".

I agree:rolleyes:
Toronto is a conservative city with no balls.
Every time new design and architecture is introduced in either the Building or Transportation industry people here tend to say, its to Dubai or its to HK or to Euro. Come on wake up and look around.

Amazing Design, but way overkill for a pedestrian bridge. Looks like it can support trucks.
Too untoronto? what the heck is that suppose to mean, after being to places such as dubai, hk, australia.. coming back to toronto is depressing. I think we are the ones that are doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Definitely one of the boldest and most cutting edge designs in this contest. I give it a 9 for aesthetics but a ? for technical elements. I think the mandatory guard-rail needs to be included in this design, as well as the support pillar because, visually they will have such a big impact on the final design. But the concept for this one is great. Overall, an 8.

I also agree with previous posters, what about safety concerns??
With no railings the design scares me, makes me feel vertigo!!

Back