News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 637     0 

Submission 6: wyliepoon - asymmetrical cable-stayed

How would you rate Submission 6 out of ten?

Votes: 16 13.8%

Votes: 24 20.7%

Votes: 32 27.6%

Votes: 18 15.5%

Votes: 14 12.1%

Votes: 4 3.4%

Votes: 3 2.6%

Votes: 2 1.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: Wyliepoon

Bridge Type: asymmetrical cable-stayed

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION

The cable-stayed type of bridge is currently very popular in the design of landmark bridges, including many pedestrian bridges. As the Cityplace/Railway Lands site is a prominent location in the city with an impressive view of the downtown skyline, and an important gateway for GO Transit commuters and VIA Rail intercity passengers, this site calls for a landmark bridge. A sleek variation of the cable-stayed bridge would be appropriate for this location, joining other prominent bridges with cables in Toronto, including the John Street pedestrian bridge nearby, and the Humber Bay bridge.

The bridge deck arcs slightly eastward from the access ramps at Front Street and at Cityplace. The specified central support pier not only supports the bridge deck, but is also the base of a tower from which cables branch out to the bridge deck. The unique support pier with tower, the arcing bridge deck, and support cables form a bridge design which is graceful, yet has strength in tension, creating a bridge design that is unique for Toronto. This bridge design also provides for various night-lighting opportunities.

3541682918_ccaaac2c61_o.jpg

3540875743_e279e544fc_o.jpg

3540875853_fe659b18d7_o.jpg

3540875937_8686bd5536_o.jpg

3541683254_a99cd451ab_o.jpg

Designer note: CN Tower model courtesy of terraforma at Google 3D Warehouse.

Certainly the sleekest submission. I quite like the slight curve to the bridge.

You got it right on this one Wylie :)

Just one detail, if I may nitpick. The south sidewalk on Front St. is blocked by the access ramp. Pedestrians on that sidewalk, would have no option but to climb the ramp and get on the bridge, walk on the street for the duration of the ramp or jaywalk to the other side of Front St.

Perhaps the ramp could go up to the bridge and then go down on the other side. This way, pedestrians walking from the East could also access the bridge without going around.

Last edited:
Good Pedestrian Bridge design-#6 Cable Stayed.

Wylie: Good design of this bridge-I will also mention that this bridge be railfan-friendly as it will attract many railfans because of its view and prominence just W of Union Station. I like this design alot-LI MIKE

Pretty but why?

Hi Wyliepoon, I congratulate you for your drawing abilities. Cable-stayed is what is wanted and that's what you've drawn and this is really pretty. My comment is that it doesn't need the cables to hold it up since you have supported it from underneath in two places.
By the way, I believe there is no slope as you have drawn at the front street end, there is a siding right beside and below the sidewalk. There is only room for a support in the middle.
Best wishes, Martin

sleek clean lines ... I like it ~

it doesn't seem too elaborate ... which means it is feasible (cost wise) in Toronto

I think this is my favorite idea yet. Simple yet elegant design, and the style seems to fit in with the surrounding landscape very well. Good Work! :)

Make those cables work

Sleek design but I'd like to see those cables work harder. For a foot bridge of this length, supported in the middle, the cables are just for looks. One suggestion to address this could be to lighten the beam structure so more of the bending moment is transferred to the cables rather than through the beam. You must know Santiago Calatrava's work because he does similar bridges around the world.

Also the mast could better represent the loading or the two main spans. With the mast closer to one end of the bridge there is an amazing opportunity to tilt it or bend it to one side as the loading is obviously asymmetrical.

I like the design but I see some arbitrary structural decisions. Please remove the round column or make it speak the same language as the mast.

Anyway, designs like this deserve a new level of critique.

Good job

Back