News   Mar 28, 2024
 364     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 365     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 712     0 

Submission 1: wyliepoon-Cityplace-inspired glass & concrete

How would you rate Submission 1 out of ten?

Votes: 1 0.9%

Votes: 6 5.3%

Votes: 12 10.6%

Votes: 26 23.0%

Votes: 21 18.6%

Votes: 13 11.5%

Votes: 10 8.8%

Votes: 12 10.6%

• Total voters

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Designer: wyliepoon

Bridge Type: concrete

Project Description: see below

Poll: attached

DESCRIPTION
This design is a simple concrete covered bridge, inspired by the architecture of Cityplace. The design combines the creative use of concrete and glass, both prominently used in the buildings of Cityplace, to create a structure that provides a variety of spaces - sunlit and shaded spaces, open and sheltered spaces, exterior and interior spaces, and public and private spaces.

On top of the centre support pier are two small, uncovered balconies or "lovers' perches", each providing a unique view of Cityplace, the Railway Lands and the city.

IMAGES

3502677649_eefa525681_o.jpg

3502677811_6cfafe1cf9_o.jpg

3502678001_c7d0bb4104_o.jpg

3503489222_db17d0e56d_o.jpg

3503489550_7324703e0f_o.jpg

3503489644_60cd9c2958_o.jpg

3502678689_5644a4f23b_o.jpg

3502678317_756e0106dd_o.jpg

Designer note: CN Tower model courtesy of terraforma at Google 3D Warehouse.

Last edited:
1.5 for creativity
1.5 for engineering
1.0 for public acceptance
2.5 for doability

As I mentioned in my earlier critique, this would very likely become a graffiti magnet, just as the retaining walls that CityPlace has been building along the rail corridor will become.

It's definitely a design that could be built, but it doesn't do anything challenging from an engineering standpoint and gives in to the "we just needed a bridge, nobody said it had to look good" mentality.

I look forward to your future submissions Wylie.

i actually think its alright. imo it looks modern and the glass looks like parade in cityplace so i think they will compliment each other considering the path runs right underneath parade.

I think it looks great, with modernist/prairie incluences. Low and lean. Would look really good in a photo against using our modernist skyscrapers in the financial district (TD Center, et al). I wouder if it would become a wind tunnel in the winter?

Wyliepoon also did a good job texturing the populating the render, especially with the train and condos. One point docked for no DeLorean content.

It looks wheelchair accessable, so it's Joe Clark approved!

Last edited:
I like it. It's nice and tidy looking, and the glass and concrete fits in with CityPlace really well. Could be done pretty easily too.

Great work! I voted 8, but It's more of an 8.5 to 9 :)

I don't like the feel of this one at all. It's too rigid and mish mashy. The lines are awkward and it's not something that would really do much for me if I were to walk across it. Not very inspiring. I'd like to see something more attractive and eye catching, rather than fitting in.

I quite(!) like the way you have broken up sections in a cubist manner. But I think the long, unbroken expanses need to be broken up more. Not so that it will look like Habitat from Expo 67 ;) ... but definitely broken up more.

Could you create something like this?

-SP!RE

I like this, it fits into the glass neighbourhood well.
Two suggestions, it has to be "jumper proof" so as to prevent train delays (which it appears to be) and I'd like to see the roof areas greened.
The graffiti comment is very valid. The materials have to be such that they can be matched and repainted with ease or materials from which graffiti can be easily removed.
Finally, I presume that the bridge is wheelchair accessible? It's also necessary for those walking bikes, strollers and such from one side to the other.
As always, great work 3D!

Last edited:
Wylie, you need something to carry shear forces, such as cross bracing or a deeper concrete beam running along the length of the bridge. From an engineering perspective, I believe that your bridge is unfeasible.

Bracing could be added in a relatively inconspicuous way. In the photo below, can you make out the X in the background? It is actually the most important structural feature in the entire building, and without it a light breeze could topple the building.

advantage-106_0611%20500X375.jpg

Design #1-A really neat overpass!

Wylie: This is a really neat overpass here! I like its design and it is obviously railfan-friendly judging by its design. Good design,Wylie! LI MIKE

Back