News   Apr 19, 2024
 798     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

MapArt Golden Horseshoe Atlas Online

CDL.TO

Member Bio
Reaction score
Everyone's favourite map, Mapmobility/MapArt Golden Horseshoe Atlas, is available for free online. It might not have the satellite imagery of Google, but for labelling of landmarks it's far superior. (It's a little out of date, it seems to be the 2007 edition of the atlas.)

http://maps.mapmobility.com/

Nice. MapArt has always made the best road atlases. Doing Geography/GIS at Waterloo, I always thought working at MapArt would have been awesome. Then I had to develop scripts for GIS applications and got fed up with it.

It seems way more detailed that the 2006 edition I have. A lot more private roads are shown, for example.

What happened to MapArt, anyway? It seems the inferior CCCMaps fare has been squeezing it off shelves for some time now--or is this just more of the death throes for paper maps and atlassing...

I find that GPS units and many mobile map apps are no substitute for paper maps. A paper map can show you every roadway over a large area in one view level. On a mobile device, you'll often see the lines for roads over a large area, but to know the names of those roads, you have to zoom in. This frequent zooming in and out annoys me. On the other hand, a digital map can show you the location of an address or a point of interest with one tap of the screen; you don't have look around a page and guess. That's why it's good to have both a paper map and an electronic device on road trips. They're good for different circumstances that commonly arise.

What happened to MapArt, anyway? It seems the inferior CCCMaps fare has been squeezing it off shelves for some time now--or is this just more of the death throes for paper maps and atlassing...

Isn't CCCMaps owned by MapArt? Both their websites mention each other, and they literally have the exact same street address.

Isn't CCCMaps owned by MapArt? Both their websites mention each other, and they literally have the exact same street address.
Yeah, I've been trying to figure out what's going on there ... I need to replace my MapArt New York State map sheet, as it's now in about 8 pieces, and can't take another road trip ... and can't even find it ... their own website seems to refer me to Rand McNally ... who make atrocious maps in my opinion.

It seems they also distribute the Rand McNally maps. Maybe there is no New York Map from MapArt itself anymore.

It is my dream job to work at MapMobility/MapArt and put my GIS Analyst and cartographic skillz to good use, but it seems they are in decline. All their websites seems to not have been updated a very long time.

I was at Chapter today, and they didn't have any new MapArt maps. The only ones left were from 2012, and there was not a lot left. I think it's safe to say MapArt is dead, replaced by CCCMaps. RIP MapArt.

I checked out the CCCMaps, and yeah the maps seemed kinda crappy based on what I saw (even though it is the same company).

Back