1.7K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

COMING SOON! Bridging the Design Gap - a UT design charette

3Dementia

Member Bio
Reaction score
Charette-UTlogo-horiz.jpg

Yes it's true.... Urban Toronto is taking action! Please read carefully and see how you can help.

RE: the proposed box truss bridge over the rail corridor: Toronto's own Urban Design guidelines for the Railway Lands West & Central (June 2004) state that a design competition should be held for this (Cityplace) permanent pedestrian bridge and include “Landmarking” or identification features such as the verticals of the John Street bridge, or the arch of the Humber River pedestrian/cycling bridge.[/COLOR][/B]

CONTACT US - we can be reached the following ways:
1. info@BridgingtheDesignGap.com (main email address is already active)
2. mark@BridgingtheDesignGap.com (mark is supervising the contact list)
3. post in this thread

WHAT: UrbanToronto's response to the unacceptable plans for the CityPlace box truss pedestrian bridge across the rail corridor.
"Bridging the Design Gap" - an on-line pedestrian bridge design charrette that invites participants to "think outside the box... truss".

WHO: a small working group of UT members has developed the charrette during the past weeks, but we need your help (see below).

HOW:
1. A dedicated charrette website will go live. BridgingtheDesignGap.com will be launched in a week containing background information, submission guidelines and resources for participants. Some draft sample pages (flat jpeg only) are posted at the end of this thread.

2. The Charrette at Urban Toronto
As design submissions are received, they will be posted in this new Charrette section at Urban Toronto along with a poll. A design of distinction will selected via 50% of UT poll/vote results and 50% of votes from an invited jury.

The Charrette Section:
-one general discussion thread will be established (with links to the charrette website).
-each submission received will have a dedicated thread plus a poll.
-comments and voting are encouraged from forum members however no other threads will be posted in this section.

WHEN: schedule

LAUNCH DAY - Friday April 24

SUBMISSIONS CLOSE: Wednesday June 3rd

POLLING CLOSE: Friday June 12th

DESIGN OF DISTINCTION WINNER*: Monday June 15th

*based on 50% invited jury, 50% UT polls

WE NEED YOUR HELP - here's what you can do:

1. Contact list - help us grow this list. The contact list is the single most critical element of the charrette. Suggestions are welcome however it would be most appreciated if you could take the time to source accurate contact information for your suggestions (our plate is full). Email contact info is most desirable.

Specifically, we are looking for:
a) Media suggestions - we have the obvious ones but any suggestions re: university press, appropriate trade publications, newsletters, blogs..... anything that would be a good a fit for the charrette.

b) Submission/participation - the press release will be adapted as an "invitation" - please post contact suggestions that are skewed/targeted to possible participants, professional and student/amateur - architects, engineers, planning/architecture depts., arts depts., internet forums etc.

c) Pro bono advertising, sponsor support, prize donations - any leads you can provide re: donated web banners, print remainder space etc. are very welcome. Same goes for direct sponsorship, prize donations etc.

2. Participate in the charrette - here's your chance to step up to the plate, support UrbanToronto and raise a little hell.
a) submit a design concept - though the guidlelines are informal, jokes aren't encouraged
b) vote - follow submission threads and vote, comment, critique
c) promote the charrette - write about it in your blog, generate traffic to the charrette website and to the dedicated charrette section at UrbanToronto (friends,family, co-workers, anyone who might be interested)
d) we welcome any other volunteer support you can think of to promote the charrette.

In the coming days a press release will be posted here that you can use as a resource to promote the design charrette.

SAMPLE WEB PAGES (Note: draft examples only FYI)
BridgeHOME.jpg

-
submitDESIGN.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant, brilliant...

...brilliant!

Great idea and applause to all those who have worked hard on this so far and put this sucker together.

Bridge

I love this idea. I am not a designer, but I hope those that are will take into account that there will be strong winds and inclement weather. I hope that designs will try to mitigate this fact and make the bridge friendly to users in all types of weather conditions.

Amazing... and a great idea, cheers to you guys. I have a good feeling about this, and i cant wait to start seeing some of our talented forum members come out with some fabulous designs for this pedestrian bridge. :)

This is exciting! I too can't wait to see some designs; I will definitely do my best to contribute a design. I hope this movement becomes an influence on the final design of the bridge

I'm in, given the time. This sounds like an awesome idea and hope to be able to contribute. Thanks for bringing this around.

Cheers,

p5

Awesome! I will be definitely submitting a design and applaud the efforts so far.

I was wondering if the guidelines part of the website will define a bit better the constraints with respect to the height of the bridge (to keep the GO signals view path open for the locomotive engineers).

At the public presentation with Councillor Vaughan, there was also talk that the constructability of a clear span bridge was not possible because GO would not allow the shutdowns required to allow for the more complicated structural foundations that would be needed on both sides of the tracks. If that is indeed true, you may want to consider a constraint that the pier must be utilized. It would also help if the property that is available on both sides be defined.

If you consider the many hours of effort that may be involved, better rules of engangement might save a lot of heartache later about what is "buildable".

S'Bus

p.s. Concord said at the same meeting that their budget for the bridge was $2M if I recall correctly.

Okay, here's my proposal:

Box truss wrapped in solar panels and glass that heat (and cool) the thing in the winter/summer (and power the interior lights for night safety), reclaimed wood plank flooring, and the box truss itself painted a vibrant magenta pink.

Inside the bridge will be space for advertising and art (gotta make this a revenue-generating project.)

Also, some seating for those that need to rest/enjoy the view.

Who wants to design my proposal using some program?

cheers,

urbandreamer

Last edited:
My contribution: Hire West8. They have proven that they can get build ready projects out the door, esthetically pleasing yet affordable, engineering show offs yet absolutely doable.

A bridge like the ones going across our slips on Queens Quay could be built to span the tracks.

Start a wavy deck from Front Street., raising gently before reaching the tracks.

Once there, 40% of the required height will have been reached. From that point, a gently sloping bridge will span the tracks to the only beam at two thirds of the distance. The major beam: a tall iron structure, clad in glulam, rises well above the bridge. Smaller wooden beams forming maple leaf patterns, support the weight of the bridge. The sloping glulam beams below, forming the spanning structure are engineered in a curve that fortifies the integrity of the bridge.

Once at the other end, another wave deck will follow with the remaining descent in a playful pattern gently sloping well into the park.

Wood is affordable yet beautiful (and soon to be iconic on our waterfront) and it's both a durable and strong construction material.

Toronto Viaduct

I have yet to see anything i like better than this plan here

http://www.toviaduct.com/Solution.htm

I hope this idea brings it back to light again.

I should say, I'm wouldn't be particularly interested in any designs that might make it impossible to bring the this TO Viaduct plan to fruition.

Just saying.

Last edited:
Even if we do have a plain box, why can't we cover it in multi-coloured glass?

Something like this from Olafur Eliasson.

olafur_eliasson2-1.jpg

I'd love to see a mix of coloured glass and lighting so at night it really stands out. Imagine you could have lights that slowly fade off and on in a line to give the building a chameleon-like effect. Perhaps have the lights activated through proximity censors or pressure sensors on the floor to have moving coloured rings of light moving back and forth. The different coloured lights also continue with the theme of the cityplace roof lighting at ground level.

Last edited:
personally i like box trusses compared to just flat concrete decks with railings.

that blue glass bridge looks cool.

Even if we do have a plain box, why can't we cover it in multi-coloured glass?

Something like this from Olafur Eliasson.

olafur_eliasson2-1.jpg

I'd love to see a mix of coloured glass and lighting so at night it really stands out. Imagine you could have lights that slowly fade off and on in a line to give the building a chameleon-like effect. Perhaps have the lights activated through proximity censors or pressure sensors on the floor to have moving coloured rings of light moving back and forth. The different coloured lights also continue with the theme of the cityplace roof lighting at ground level.
what does this look like on the outside??

Back