Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge
524 Front Street West, Toronto
Developer: Concord Adex

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: CityPlace: Puente de Luz Bridge (Concord Adex, MMM Group/Francisco Gazitua)

Quote Originally Posted by scrappyTO View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.
    That's a good thing. I've seen too many cars go right through crosswalks, while people were crossing. I'm very careful and even I've had some close calls. I hope no more go up.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-tage View Post
    I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous, light up yellow signs with flashing yellow lights when you press the button. I know as a driver it is often hard to see at a glance when they are on.
    I remember when they didn't even have the flashing lights. You just pointed to get the traffic to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Transportfan View Post
    I remember when they didn't even have the flashing lights. You just pointed to get the traffic to stop.
    Haha, so true. I totally forgot about that. The flashing lights is actually relatively new.

4. Default

^I remember being teased by visiting relatives about the Canadian ridiculousness of (1) the notion that one could stop traffic by pointing and (2) the fact that it seemed to work. Apparently not well enough, though.

5. Default

Pointing to cross isn't used in BC. I think it's more an Ontario thing.
    (We also have flashing greens controlled by pedestrians)

Although I won't put my own life at risk by actually trusting the stop lights 100% either. I cross at these lights a few times a week, and often drivers just don't see them; especially the drivers making left turns onto Bathurst from nearby, very close streets; and drivers who try to pass the streetcars stopped nearby.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by someMidTowner View Post
    Because Concord was forced to build a bridge by the city as part of the cityplace deal. They didnt want to build it, so they cheaped out. Simple. The only thing that matters is the bridge exists. Despite its questionable form it serves a purpose. Im sure most people living close to it wont care what it looks like at all because to them it will just be an easy way across the tracks.
    Maybe the city should build such bridges then, cause they are part of the city's infrastructure.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scrappyTO View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.
    I really hope it's not one of those intersections where they forget to think about cyclists. At many of these pedestrian/vehicle initiated lights, cyclists have to choose between getting off their bike to hit the button or riding through the red.

Cyclists would never ride through a red.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Cyclists would never ride through a red.
    Hahaha. good one...getting off the bike to hit the button.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Me View Post
    I really hope it's not one of those intersections where they forget to think about cyclists. At many of these pedestrian/vehicle initiated lights, cyclists have to choose between getting off their bike to hit the button or riding through the red.
    Well, they could install an easily accessible button that is at a manageable height for both pedestrians and cyclists, but we all know those don't exist anywhere in the world, right?

Seeing as this is also a pedestrian bridge, with large ramps, I am sure there will probably be signs and railings that will encourage cyclists to dismount, regardless. I can only imagine the accidents between cyclists and pedestrians using the ramps together.

13. Default

While accidents are possible, they're not that common. You can't ride a bike fast on ramps to pedestrian bridges, and low speeds mean lesser chances of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuscani01 View Post
    Seeing as this is also a pedestrian bridge, with large ramps, I am sure there will probably be signs and railings that will encourage cyclists to dismount, regardless. I can only imagine the accidents between cyclists and pedestrians using the ramps together.
    There's an old pedestrian bridge at the foot of Roncesvalles that goes over the Gardiner and Lake Shore Blvd to the waterfront and Martin Goodman Trail. It's heavily used in the summer by both pedestrians and cyclists. I've used it as both a pedestrian and cyclist. Collisions don't seem to be a problem, and it's narrower than Puente de Luz.
    Last edited by grey; 2012-Feb-14 at 14:09.
    flickr

• cats are OK - purrr
    • dogs are OK - wooof

Quote Originally Posted by grey View Post
    There's an old pedestrian bridge at the foot of Roncesvalles that goes over the Gardiner and Lake Shore Blvd to the waterfront and Martin Goodman Trail. It's heavily used in the summer by both pedestrians and cyclists. I've used it as both a pedestrian and cyclist. Collisions don't seem to be a problem, and it's narrower than Puente de Luz.
    No comparison. Cityplace is the most popular neighbourhood in the GTA and there will be way more traffic than any pedestrian/cycling bridge in the city. Hoardes of people will be using it to get to Cityplace because everyone wants to be in Cityplace. It will be a problem the day the bridge opens.

In all seriousness though, you are right. The bridge is pretty damn wide so maybe it wont be a problem.

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast