Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
Project Essentials / dataBase detailed project information, floor plans, renderings
Projects & Construction Thread
CityPlace Puente de Luz Bridge
524 Front Street West, Toronto
Developer: Concord Adex

Login to
post and
upload photos
Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Thread: CityPlace: Puente de Luz Bridge (Concord Adex, MMM Group/Francisco Gazitua)

I didn't really ask too much beyond when it would be open, but I got the impression the mesh would be around the yellow structure, 'because people can still jump off it now'.

Quote Originally Posted by the lemur View Post
    I didn't really ask too much beyond when it would be open, but I got the impression the mesh would be around the yellow structure, 'because people can still jump off it now'.
    People can just as easily jump off Spadina, Bathurst or Blue Jays Way. Why enclose just one bridge. Has anyone ever actually jumped off a bridge on to the tracks in recent memory?

I don't know why this bridge or whether anyone has jumped off a bridge onto the tracks, or whether the mesh was originally part of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
    The worst part is that the access ramps both enter/exit to the west.

If the south ramp exited to the east, this bridge wouldn't be a total write-off.
    The north ramp is at least aligned with the Front/Portland intersection, suggesting that pedestrian traffic to/from Portland is expected. Not surprising considering that Portland is the nearest thing that has actual sidewalks.

Traffic lights are now installed at Portland and Front and seem almost ready to be turned on.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hawc View Post
    Has anyone ever actually jumped off a bridge on to the tracks in recent memory?
    Yes - female off Islington Ave appoximately 2 years ago. Missed the train but still died from the fall.

Okay, I know I might have said nice thing about this bridge in the past, but I've completely changed my mind now that it's nearly completed. This bridge is seriously ugly. The scale is all wacky. The way it meet Front street is not welcoming at all as the big concrete ramp stares at you as the real entrance to the bridge proper isn't even visible from street level. The little add on design features are tacky and will date super fast. It does look like it was built on the cheap. And the colour? Meh, not sure, don't even know if I like that. It looks better from further away and then not on a human scale as you get closer to it. Why couldn't we just have something simple like this:

8. Default

Though that bridge looks simple, it's full of architectural details and very refined.

Why couldn't we just have something simple like this...
    Because Concord was forced to build a bridge by the city as part of the cityplace deal. They didnt want to build it, so they cheaped out. Simple. The only thing that matters is the bridge exists. Despite its questionable form it serves a purpose. Im sure most people living close to it wont care what it looks like at all because to them it will just be an easy way across the tracks.
    Images are not to be reprinted, reposted or used for any purposes whatsoever outside of the Urban Toronto forum without my express consent. Contact me via the following:

Website - Flickr Photostream - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BobBob View Post
    Traffic lights are now installed at Portland and Front and seem almost ready to be turned on.
    Serious question: Why traffic lights instead of a crosswalk with those push buttons?

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
    Serious question: Why traffic lights instead of a crosswalk with those push buttons?
    Cars stop for lights, while not stopping for the crosswalk when flashing. Also, to deal with traffic off Portland going east.
    Due Time restriction, visit my site https://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/ to see updated photos of projects shot the last few weeks since I don't have the time to post them to various threads.
    See my videos on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/Transitdrum118/videos

If the bridge is going to have a lot of traffic, a set of lights is better. Drivers are impossible to trust with crosswalks, as they're admittedly too easy to overlook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by scrappyTO View Post
    I recall reading somewhere that the city is no longer installing pedestrian crosswalks, instead opting for pedestrian controlled traffic signals, due to safety concerns. This is why signals were installed nearby on Bathurst St. between Niagara and Wellingston Streets.
    I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous, light up yellow signs with flashing yellow lights when you press the button. I know as a driver it is often hard to see at a glance when they are on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo-tage View Post
    I've always thought those crosswalks were dangerous.
    I thought everyone in Toronto just j-walked, expecting traffic to come to a screeching halt whenever they felt like stepping off the curb without looking up from their iPhone.

Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast