Urban Toronto - Powered by vBulletin
UrbanToronto News - the latest headlines
Photo of the Day: Bridged
ALSO
Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106
Results 1,576 to 1,587 of 1587

Thread: Restaurant Comings & Goings

  1. Default

    Does anyone know what happened to Le Trou Normand on Yorkville Ave.? Walked past it yesterday and saw that the gate was chained and the posted menus still promoted Winterlicious and most sheets were curled up from the sun. It used to be a "place" to go in the 70s and 80s. I recall a splurge birthday dinner there (while still on student income) when the restaurant was full of the Toronto horse breeding set getting ready to head to the Royal Winter Fair. I had rabbit cooked with prunes.


  2. #1577
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Yonge & Great Gulf (giddyup)
    Posts
    6,245

    Default

    ^ It's been closed for awhile now. The owner used to eat out on the patio in the summer with his dog sitting beside him on a chair. They were there for about 40 years and I always find it sad that these long time establishments close without a murmur. Kind of like Theatre Books closing last week, also after about 40 years.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by androiduk View Post
    ^ It's been closed for awhile now. The owner used to eat out on the patio in the summer with his dog sitting beside him on a chair. They were there for about 40 years and I always find it sad that these long time establishments close without a murmur. Kind of like Theatre Books closing last week, also after about 40 years.
    Don't know, but the place has been gone for a few months - since April or May, at least.
    Founder & Webitor-in-Chief of DelectablyChic! (formerly Prospere Magazine), an online-only lifestyle publication targeting young, hip professional women.

  4. Default

    The hot dog restaurant on King Street East has closed.

  5. #1580
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SLM/Old Town/Distillery/Corktown
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Torontovibe View Post
    Tim Hortons on Jarvis, just south of the Esplanade, looks like it's just about ready to open. The design of the space is quite nice for a Tims.
    I noticed the Tim's was open today, not sure exactly when it opened. I'm more of an indie coffee guy but I went in and grabbed a coffee and a donut to check the space out. It does seem nicer than normal, some exposed brick and nice chairs, and the signs say "Tim Horton's Coffee House" though I'm not sure if that's a new thing for all stores or if this one is "special". I think it will do very well in the neighbourhood and will be a good gathering spot on a corner that's been dead space for too long.

  6. #1581

    Default

    The coffee house is their new thing. Lipstick on a pig

  7. #1582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PinkLucy View Post
    The coffee house is their new thing. Lipstick on a pig
    Dark Roast Lipstick
    "Without Sicily, Italy leaves no image in the soul. Sicily is the key to everything." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

  8. #1583
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    SLM/Old Town/Distillery/Corktown
    Posts
    258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khristopher View Post
    Fisherman's Wharf from 69 Richmond St. W. is either moving or opening a second location at Church and Richmond in the old Florentine Court location.
    I wonder if the food will be as impressive as the paint job.

    Name:  fishermans_wharf.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  92.8 KB

  9. Default

    They did a great job!

  10. Default

    Hula Girl Espresso appears to be opening a new location on Ossington, just north of College.

  11. Default

    A new coffee shop is going in the space on the north-east corner of King Edward Hotel:

    Name:  IMG_20140818_085053.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  88.4 KB

  12. #1587

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Guy View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to Le Trou Normand on Yorkville Ave.? Walked past it yesterday and saw that the gate was chained and the posted menus still promoted Winterlicious and most sheets were curled up from the sun. It used to be a "place" to go in the 70s and 80s. I recall a splurge birthday dinner there (while still on student income) when the restaurant was full of the Toronto horse breeding set getting ready to head to the Royal Winter Fair. I had rabbit cooked with prunes.
    Worst food ev-er. Atrocious.
    And the middle aged woman in the dowdy clothes who used to dance beside the empty Champaign bottle to entice patrons was downright embarrassing.
    The only question was who had worse food - Remy's or Le Trou Normand. Probably Le Trou since they had pretentions. I'm STILL chewing that Duck Muscovy...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •