News   Apr 19, 2024
 92     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 748     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

River Park & Uptown Market (Uptown Markham Phase 1, Times Group, multiple up to 20s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

canarob

Member Bio
Reaction score
This is the large parcel of land at Highway 7 and Warden directly north of the Rouge River and Downtown Markham.

Applications have been received for draft plan of subdivision approval and rezoning to permit a comprehensive mixed-use development comprised of approximately 48,719 square metres (524,424 square feet) of retail and office floor area and 4,240 residential units. The concept plan submitted includes a continuous street wall of buildings along the south side of Highway 7, including a 14-storey, commercial building on the southeast corner of Highway 7 and Warden Avenue, flanked by 16 and 20 storey residential buildings to the south and easterly to the Verclaire Gate intersection. The buildings would then step down in height, 16 and 12 storeys, and 8 and 6 storeys, as the site progresses to the east.

There is a site plan on page six of this PDF:
http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/Development%20Services/pl080115/Lonsmount%20Construction%20Ltd.pdf

This is the large parcel of land at Highway 7 and Warden directly north of the Rouge River and Downtown Markham.

Applications have been received for draft plan of subdivision approval and rezoning to permit a comprehensive mixed-use development comprised of approximately 48,719 square metres (524,424 square feet) of retail and office floor area and 4,240 residential units. The concept plan submitted includes a continuous street wall of buildings along the south side of Highway 7, including a 14-storey, commercial building on the southeast corner of Highway 7 and Warden Avenue, flanked by 16 and 20 storey residential buildings to the south and easterly to the Verclaire Gate intersection. The buildings would then step down in height, 16 and 12 storeys, and 8 and 6 storeys, as the site progresses to the east.

http://www.markham.ca/markham/ccbs/indexfile/Agendas/2008/Development%20Services/pl080115/Lonsmount%20Construction%20Ltd.pdf

I'm not too happy with the cul-de-sacs. If the entrances to the residences face the cul-de-sacs then it will discourage walking to Highway 7, the nearest transit corridor. Hopefully the walk to VIVA along Enterprise Drive isn't too far, because I doubt YRT will run service on Road "D".

These massive proposals seem to be a dime a dozen in Markham. Let's see what we've got on the table right now:

-Warden and 7
-Markham Centre (by Remington?)
-Thornhill Village
-Yonge and Steeles
-Langstaff
-Beaver Creek (though it's really winding down now).

In total, there's probably about 30,000 high density units in various stages of planning. I'd be willing to bet that only the Yonge St. communities will actually achieve their goal though.

Here is a partial list:

• Highway 7/Warden: 4,240 units; 524,424 square feet sq. ft. office/retail
  • Downtown Markham (Remington's portion of Markham Centre): 4,175 Units; 4.5-million sq. ft. office space; 750,000 sq. ft. retail
  • 407 and Yonge (Langstaff): 3,000 units
  • Former Shoppes on Steeles Mall: 2,000 units
  • 7161 AND 7171 Yonge: 1,200 units

Chuck - as Places to Grow/Greenbelt Legislations move into fruition and suburban land becomes scarce and multi-family developments in the suburbs become the most affordable options to people who want to live in the burbs, these projects will work. Not to mention the likely outcome of MoveOntario Part 2 of converting Highway 7 (7 Highway?) BRTs into LRTs, it will support higher density developments in York Region.

At least, here's hoping.

Boo! The cul-de-sacs are hideous, and officials/developers will probably justify the site plan through a "strong street wall" on #7 or "abundant park- and storm water management-land." Viva skips this block of #7, and the Rouge twists and turns right behind the property, but the plan is still inappropriate for what is by far the most important site in Markham. The rest of Markham Centre could turn out very well, but there's just not enough built yet to tell. Unfortunately, Downtown Markham will be the focus of Markham Centre even though the "downtown" of Markham would be better off along #7.

Once again, I'll link to a great summary of recent projects in Markham Centre: http://www.markham.ca/markham/aspc/markhamcentre/PDF/MC_DevStatus_2007.pdf

Chuck - as Places to Grow/Greenbelt Legislations move into fruition and suburban land becomes scarce and multi-family developments in the suburbs become the most affordable options to people who want to live in the burbs, these projects will work.

I'd clarify that by saying "people who want to own newly constructed homes in the burbs."

I just don't understand the logic behind placing Markham Centre in the middle of the concession block. Even Toronto has tried this and ended up failing. Look at what East York Town Centre turned into, and I'm sure there are other great examples.

What Markham should have done is said screw traffic, let's narrow Highway 7 down to two lanes in each direction, and cut the road allowance in half to allow buildings to approach the street. At the same time that other utilities are being upgraded, place everything - including transit - underground between Warden and Kennedy. Clegg Road and Enterprise Drive could become the new artery, and branch off of Highway 7 much how Eglinton branches off of the 401 onramp in western Etobicoke.

After looking at that pdf I have less hope for the "downtown" area. Although I do believe they'll get their density, and the units will sell (commercial and residential) I don't think I'll be very urban at all.

Take the are beside IBM, which I see every day...

Cira, the two other condos + liberty village. Who allowed that planning, it's absolutely terrible.

I do think the downtown area will have a few areas that may be nice though.

Next time I'm at work I'll remember to take a few pictures of that area!

Yes, Downtown Markham itself could turn out great, but the potential for Markham Centre at large to work is still unknown/dubious.

In effect, Downtown Markham will compromise downtown Markham...

even though the "downtown" of Markham would be better off along #7

I could not agree more. Much of the land north of the stretch of Highway 7 with Markham Centre beneath it is still mostly vacant or underused. There is a proposal for some townhomes and Sobeys has bought a lot there, so I don't expect much.

I saw the Sciberras Road plan somewhere (what is directly east of this proposal and would make up the north east of Markham Centre) -- sorry I can't find it -- and it was a mix of mid-rise residential and retail, I believe.

what's wrong with the markham centre area? I think the fact that there are major corporations (IBM, Motorola, Honeywell) creating job growth, there is a theatre, cinema, lots of grocery stores, restaurants, stores, one of the best art schools, that results in a decent neighbourhood filled with some amenities. Markham Town Centre (city hall) surrounded by numerous condo building (eko towers, the Majestic Court and the Circa)all in the same area why would it not work., there is people, things to do, and places to work in? Sure you cant compare it to Downtown toronto, but i think the concept and the vision is there. Just need the talk to be actually implemented and for things to happen then we will really realize if this whole project or Markham Centre would work. If MoveOntario 2020 does actually happen and the finch subway actually get extended to Hwy 7 then this whole area would get a bit more dense as it is not too far from the downtown core but yet far enough from the actual crowd and a good shorter distance to the mountains up north as Canadians skiing/boarding is a very desired sport

one thing i do still dont really understand is why markham is still only considered a town when it has the capacity to be a city? but i do agree this whole project would not show any signs of return until at least 5-10 years later when things actually start popping up

as it is not too far from the downtown core but yet far enough from the actual crowd and a good shorter distance to the mountains up north as Canadians skiing/boarding is a very desired sport

That makes me think of some kind of logic of people hating Downtown Toronto because it's not enough like Downtown Whistler or Blue Mountains...

Back