News   Mar 28, 2024
 307     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 676     0 

John Tory: Four Time Loser

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
1993: As a backroom boy for PC Party of Canada, closely associated with "Is this the face of a Prime Minister" negative ad against Chretien.

2003: Ran admittedly a decent campaign for mayor (apart from MillerHighwayRobbery.com), and had a lot of broad support.

2004: Wins leadership of Ontario PCs, has trouble getting seat.

2007: Loses in Leaside in general election.

2009: Loses in Haliburton-Victoria-Brock by-election.

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/article/597467

Results:

http://www.elections.on.ca/en-CA/ElectionNightResults2009.htm

Thank God, hopefully know they elect a competent leader after that failure of a experiment.

The caucus is basically a rural rump, save for Peter Shurman and Red Tory Elizabeth Witmer, maybe a few others.. They'll almost certainly pick a more rightwing leader and the Libs will likely have a monopoly on the "socially liberal, fiscally conservative" voters.

Good riddance. He completely blew a great opportunity in '07 and didn't deserve a second chance.

ouch!

you'd know which proposal of his i'd bring up right now. i think that sealed his fate.

Last edited:
I was hoping he'd win, if only to ensure the PC party didn't regroup for a little while.

Maybe he will go back to challenge Miller in 2010?

It's really too bad. I'd have like to have seen an urban conservative get into the legislature. His election could have transformed the Ontario PCs into a more urban focused party. Instead, they'll now get some hick, who probably will have no real chance of winning too many votes in the GTA, offering no real chance of a serious challenger to the Liberals. While I like Dalton, I would have liked to have seen a serious opposition hold his feet to the fire.

It's really too bad. I'd have like to have seen an urban conservative get into the legislature. His election could have transformed the Ontario PCs into a more urban focused party.

I agree. With the impending provincial deficit the PC's may once again look to a more right wing choice for leader - someone who is easily elected in a more rural setting.

This is not a stupid guy. One can only wonder why he ran (and participated in) such odd campaigns.

He's called a press conference for this afternoon, I assume to announce his resignation.

We will have a new NDP leader in Ontario this weekend and a new PC leader I'd asusme by the end of the year.

I agree. With the impending provincial deficit the PC's may once again look to a more right wing choice for leader - someone who is easily elected in a more rural setting.

This is not a stupid guy. One can only wonder why he ran (and participated in) such odd campaigns.

How you can say "this is not a stupid" guy with the record he has? I have never understood the respect this man is given. Everything he touches turns to shit.

I say good riddance.

It could have been different, though, had he won the 2003 Toronto mayoralty--sure, it wasn't enough to overcome Miller, but that's the one major campaign where he didn't come out looking like a chump. (Unfortunately, the good will that generated also helped propel him into the provincial leadership--and with that down the tubes, it doesn't bode well for his chances of success in trying for mayor again. Then again, they laughed at Robert Bourassa...)

The elections shows two things...

1. No matter how much the media show him to be this nice cool guy he sucks hardcore at politics.

2. Dalton now has Iron grip on Ontario for a third term easily. If voters were pissed off at him, why would a long time Tory seat turn Red during a by election when we know Conservative voters are more determined to vote...

lol I was shocked and Happy he lost. He is such a phony and it appears well Dalton is sitting drinking a few drinks last night. Seriously I think after this he is for sure going for a third term.

Like I think Dalton should be doing more and making Ontario to much into a nanny state but really what great ideas do the opposition have.

Back