169     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 245     0 

TTC: Waterfront Transit EA

Two points of interest for me are the recommended location of the east portal:
picture.php

and the enlarged Union Station Loop:
picture.php

I saw the Union Loop diagram before, and I never understood why they don't use this opportunity to rebuild the actual loop to a larger turing radius. It seems so obvious with all the problems of acquiring new streetcars, and although this isn't the only problem turn, it is one of the major ones.

I saw the Union Loop diagram before, and I never understood why they don't use this opportunity to rebuild the actual loop to a larger turing radius. It seems so obvious with all the problems of acquiring new streetcars, and although this isn't the only problem turn, it is one of the major ones.

It's actually not. The average Toronto intersection is the much larger (tighter?) problem.

EA posted

The East Bayfront EA for the section between Bay and Parliament was posted for the commission meeting tomorrow.
http://www3.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Co...09/May_28_2009/Other/East_Bayfront_Transi.pdf

THey recommend a south side alignment like so
north sidewalk of variable width;
• a pavement width generally 10 metres;
• a 3-metre median between the roadway and the transit right-of-way;
• a dedicated transit right-of-way 7 metres;
• a tree-line buffer 3 metres;
• the Martin Goodman Trail 4 metres; and
• south sidewalk of variable width
• TOTAL RIGHT OF WAY 38 metres

On page 22, there's a diagram of the Union loop expansion - a bit clearer than the other ones I've seen, showing the different loading platforms for the East Bayfront, Portlands, Bremner and existing Harbourfront cars. And the direct connection to the Union second subway platform, whenever they decide to build that.

Not serving Yonge/Queens Quay with an underground stop is a huge mistake. Do they not realize how freezing cold the windchill will be to walk it back/forth from Freeland along the lakeshore during winter. Brrrr! The city should ask the Toronto Star and the World Trade Centre if they want to chip in to help finance a station with direct PATH links to their buildings.

Why not add some steps to the sidewalks on the north end of the ACC to give people quicker access to the streetcar loop. Automatic gates might be needed.

[http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...9/May_28_2009/Other/East_Bayfront_Transi.pdf]

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Waterfront West LRT thread, but regarding the proposed Bremner tracks (seen on page 22 of the PDF), what are the current plans regarding the placement of this ROW?

I'm asking because I used to work with the MTCC once a year and was able to tour the facilities extensively. The South MTCC runs at least 5-6 stories underground, under Bremner and Roundhouse Park. There is also a connector tunnel under the train tracks, leading to the north MTCC.

With all these obstacles underground, I dont see where the line would run or where the portal would appear. Is there really enough room to place it on Bremner itself? The ACC goes pretty deep underground as well, I'm not sure how low it is compared to the exiting Queens Quay tracks under Bay, but this is surely a huge engineering task. Is this line going to pop-up before Simcoe, on the north side? Thats about the only spot I can think of that would accomodate the portal that isn't currently under construction or due for something to be built in the immediate future. But hey, I might be wrong on that one...just looking for info!

[http://www.ttc.ca/About_the_TTC/Com...9/May_28_2009/Other/East_Bayfront_Transi.pdf]

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Waterfront West LRT thread, but regarding the proposed Bremner tracks (seen on page 22 of the PDF), what are the current plans regarding the placement of this ROW?

I'm asking because I used to work with the MTCC once a year and was able to tour the facilities extensively. The South MTCC runs at least 5-6 stories underground, under Bremner and Roundhouse Park. There is also a connector tunnel under the train tracks, leading to the north MTCC.

With all these obstacles underground, I dont see where the line would run or where the portal would appear. Is there really enough room to place it on Bremner itself? The ACC goes pretty deep underground as well, I'm not sure how low it is compared to the exiting Queens Quay tracks under Bay, but this is surely a huge engineering task. Is this line going to pop-up before Simcoe, on the north side? Thats about the only spot I can think of that would accomodate the portal that isn't currently under construction or due for something to be built in the immediate future. But hey, I might be wrong on that one...just looking for info!

The portal will likely be somewhere West of York and East of Simcoe depending I guess on clearance needed and maximum slope, etc. I thought I read somewhere that the ACC does have a provision for the Bremner streetcar in it's basement. If anything I don't think there would be much under the stadium through the Galleria portion of the building (Gate 1) aside from parking and I doubt that there are any significant load bearing supports in the area as well. However I can see the line swerving North to run under the railway tracks. If needed to they could run the streetcar south on York or Simcoe and along or under Lakeshore blvd, there's lots of room for a ROW there anyway. Also the delivery access ramp for MLS and Telus will be via the ramp on the south side of the ACC so there will be that to consider when building the streetcar tunnel. Maybe doglegging down to lakeshore is the best bet.

I believe a lot of that tunnel is already in place. I'm pretty sure the tunnel (or at least clearance for the tunnel) was provided under the ACC Galleria when it was built, and the roof of the tunnel in front of the new Union entrance is actually visible right now (unless they've started the landscaping)

I believe a lot of that tunnel is already in place. I'm pretty sure the tunnel (or at least clearance for the tunnel) was provided under the ACC Galleria when it was built, and the roof of the tunnel in front of the new Union entrance is actually visible right now (unless they've started the landscaping)

It's not the tunnel running north, directly on the east side of York under the tracks is it? I know thats been there for as long as the ACC has and had previously been covered by a mound of dirt/chain link fence. If that's something completely different, i.e. another pedestrian teamway - they forgive me ;)

No, that's a teamway. The tunnel is below grade, and roughly follows a path from the roundabout at the end of Bremner to the main doors of the ACC Galleria.

Back