Mississauga Community Common Park COMPLETE

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
City Centre park unveiled
By: Dominik Kurek

bb13d8b24bbe8ea0570a75b56a5a.jpeg

Photo by Dominik Kurek
Resident eye a proposed plan for the Community Common park at a public meeting on Tuesday evening.

February 19, 2009 01:54 PM - Mississauga residents got an early look on Tuesday night at a 3.4-acre park to be built in the City Centre by 2010.

At a public open house held at the Living Arts Centre, residents got a sneak peak at the $5.6-million Community Common park, which will be located west of the LAC along Princess Royal Dr., extending to Confederation Pkwy.

"This will be a really green spot in this soon-to-be densely populated area," said Jill Goldie, the project manager.

Community Common will include large areas of open greenspace, a tree-lined promenade, a dog park, washrooms and an LED-lit water wall.

"It's a magical experience of water," said Janet Rosenberg, project consultant. "The park is going to be a wonderful part of the city that people are going to want to come out to."

The park is designed to make Mississauga more pedestrian-friendly, officials say. Community Common will connect various parks around the City Centre, including the Civic Square and nearby Zonta Meadows Park.

"I think this park is well-needed," said Erin Mills resident Jason Zytynsky, who attended the open house. "This is a very good step forward. It's to draw people away from Square One and get them outside."

The City of Mississauga has been working on the project since 2007, when plans were first presented to Council.

Ward 4 councillor Frank Dale said the City has taken time to ensure the park is properly done. He added various departments are working on the project and public input is being used to complete the park.

Dale said the Community Common will provide a setting for public events such as Ribfest and Canada Day celebrations.

"It will allow for public overflow. With more people that come for Canada Day, we'll be able to provide more interactive activities for them," he said.

Dale added the park will also be a place where residents can play, rest or take the dog for a walk.

Source

thx khristopher, for starting the thread...Jasonzed over at SSC has some pictures from the Open House that the City hosted the other night....the one thing I do not understand is the rationale for having the fountains along the sidewalk...why not have a fountain in the middle of the large green area, where people could actually sit and enjoy it? Anyway, here are the pics...

HPIM6568.jpg

HPIM6567.jpg

HPIM6566.jpg

HPIM6565.jpg

HPIM6569.jpg

HPIM6570.jpg

Nice and green, but a bit boring. The large lawn needs a sports field or playground--something to break up the monotony.

The concepts look different from the layout in the last image.
In the layout it has a central rounded portion in the middle of the park.
In the concept, this does not exist.

The last image is taken straight out of the PPS report. I think the point of it being there is for the "programming areas" concepts it contains.

I wonder if the park will ever have as many people in it as shown in the rendering?

Renderpeople are always so damn active.

I wonder if the park will ever have as many people in it as shown in the rendering?

I dont see why it wouldn't. Parks are well used in Mississauga. If the slopes are high enough, then the park will also be used in the winter too.

Total Sucks and a let down after all the process stages.

Don't know why PPS and others were invited to come up with plans that were better than this knowingly full well there was no money and a plan already exist in house???

PPL were complaining about the dog area as well going to be to noisy.

Not well received from what I heard while looking at the boards.

With all the stuff on the sidewalk, how are ppl going to walk along the sidewalk??

Why worry as very few ppl will be walking in the first place.

If one look closely, 36?? parking spots on Princess Royal Dr. There will be cars parked on both sides of all the roads in this area and reinforce ""CAR CITY""

I love your passion drum but I think you need to step back and relax sometimes :)

Regarding the stuff on the sidewalks it looks like those planters were taken right out of Dundas Square.

It's really too early, it comes down to implementation in the end. It seems nice enough to me. Not sure what you really want in a park anyway?

Nice and simple. Pretty unoffensive stuff, but not really creative either. Nice to see they considered dogs in the design...there are a lot of them in the area already (dogs in condos...crazy, but I digress).

Those parking spaces along the road are there today. No change in that. I would rather have on-street parking than none at all. Plus, they are/will be metered.

Andy

I would rather have on-street parking than none at all. Plus, they are/will be metered.

Andy

Not to mention on street parking is better than parking lots.

Drum118, the plan is exactly what was proposed by PPS and the working group. The tea house, water feature and planting bed were all in the PPS plan. The PPS plan was just to serve as a vision for the area and it served its purpose. The vision was turned into reality with the new plan with some bonus features (ie. Washrooms, the slopes and a dog area)

Construction has started...they are building the 'bump outs' for the crosswalk on Princess Royal.

They are also rebuilding the intersection of Princess Royal & Living Arts (hopefully narrowing it or reducing curb radius...that intersection is way too wide)

The site is now fenced and cleared, with some grading done and lots of activity. The contractor has a trailer on site and they appear to be moving ahead fast on this one. Yet another good project for the MCC, and one that is supposed to be done next year (according to the sign).

11182009984.jpg

11182009985.jpg

Back