News   Mar 28, 2024
 247     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 287     0 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

unimaginative2

Member Bio
Reaction score
The Sheppard East EA has been completed.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/index.htm

Comments:

Unsurprisingly, it's geared to making the case for LRT. There are few surprises. They recommended close (~400m) stop spacing.

They cite peak point ridership projections to make their case. Apparently they're expecting 3,000 per hour to ride the streetcar. 5,000 per hour would ride the route if it used subway technology. There's a catch, though: the forecast is for their insane route out to Rouge Park and the agricultural preserve. If they actually build the subway the way it's supposed to be built, to Scarborough Centre, thousands more riders per peak hour would certainly be attracted and it would benefit from major destinations at both ends.

They trot out their little chart to claim that subway only "works" above 10,000 per hour. Of course, they never look at ridership at places other than the peak point (i.e. out near Rouge Park), which I guarantee would fall well below the minimum for LRT on the chart.

They haven't come to a conclusion about whether to extend the LRT in a tunnel west from Consumers to Don Mills, or to extend the subway east one stop to Consumers. Intriguingly, they have this to say about a subway extension: "Option 3b is a much more effective 'catalyst' for denser, transit-oriented development in this development node." Perhaps it might be an interesting idea to consider just how much development could be catalyzed if the subway were extended more than just one stop.

Apparently they've also determined that single vehicles would require a headway of under 3 minutes, and the TTC apparently claims that it can't manage a route that frequent. Instead, they're going to couple them into trains to get closer to a five minute headway.

Last edited:
is this the first completed EA for transit city?

isn't this line the most controversial one? why would they fast track it and make it the first priority?

So that they can ram it through before the province offers them a subway.

i remember when santa claus, old man liberal, was handing out transit funding like crazy and everyone got what they asked for. unfortunately, we should have asked for more but we didn't. like everyone else, we got what we asked for. i don't know if we'll ever get a chance like that again for a long time.

since we're getting a subway to york-u, i'd even extend the sheppard line west to meed up with the YUS line. that way people from the east can get to the university, etc.

i remember when santa claus, old man liberal, was handing out transit funding like crazy and everyone got what they asked for. unfortunately, we should have asked for more but we didn't. like everyone else, we got what we asked for. i don't know if we'll ever get a chance like that again for a long time.

Sorry - who was that?

Sorry - who was that?

mcguinty. i referred to him as santa because of his generous transit funding handouts (pretty much every mayor got what they asked for) and because his party colors are red, like santa's suit. :)

Looking at Appendix 7a and 7b of the report, you can see the problem that that subdivision's of the auto oriented road design of suburbia have: the cul-de-sac. Especially where there is a LRT stop (ie. Consumer's and Sheppard) but no access from the cul-de-sac (ie. Snapdragon Dr.).

You don't even know what a cul-de-sac is, do you?

Along this entire stretch of the Sheppard corridor, there are only around a dozen cul-de-sacs by my count, and Snapdragon Dr. is not one of them.

The newest subdivisions in the GTA hardly have any cul-de-sacs at all.

Tell my grandmother she can't be bothered to walk 400 metres... You'll likely find a wooden cooking spoon where the sun don't shine...

The able-bodied are just one group who needs mobility.

I sure feel bad for old people living along Bloor Danforth.

I am happy and relieved that there is a strong case for the Sheppard Subway extension.

We should put some pressure to make sure it happens

It worked for the facebook DLR group.
Or to go to the open house. If everyone demands a subway extension or nothing else than finishing the whole line, it might get us somewhere

They can still make their Sheppard LRT...Beyond Agincourt. No less.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/

First round of Public Open Houses - April 15, 17, 2008
Two Open Houses were held on April 15, and April 17, 2008 to explain the study, to show what we hope to achieve, to get your comments, and to answer questions. Please review the information presented (PDF).

Last edited:
So that they can ram it through before the province offers them a subway.
They're not going to be able to ram through this design without some changes, I suspect, given that Metrolinx wants to connect Finch and Sheppard lines together. That *should* be up before next Friday's Metrolinx Board meeting, which means we may see the Metrolinx Benefits Case Analysis on this next week.

First round of Public Open Houses - April 15, 17, 2008
Two Open Houses were held on April 15, and April 17, 2008 to explain the study, to show what we hope to achieve, to get your comments, and to answer questions. Please review the information presented (PDF).

If you're able to build a time machine to allow us to attend the open houses 9 months ago.....

Ansem I agree with your idea of having the Sheppard subway finished and having LRT from Agincourt eastward.

Ansem I agree with your idea of having the Sheppard subway finished and having LRT from Agincourt eastward.
I suspect the train has already left the station on this ... but surely both can co-exist. I don't see anything in the LRT design that precludes the later construction of a subway extension - and with the LRT in place, you could simply construct a station at Scarborough Town Centre and perhaps Agincourt, and run express, leaving the local traffic to the LRT.

Back